Wiki Posts
Search

Bogota -

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Bogota -

Anyone been to Bogota? I may go with my friend from Panama and curious for any thoughts/recommendations, clubs, where to go/stay,etc.

Chris
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not sure that's a good idea, seriously.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

for what reason? I've read the latest state dept items, kidnappings are down. I'm going to be with fluent spanish speakers the whole time. I don't intend on venturing out on my own. I've travelled extensively in Latin America, i see it as a challenge, but not something where I am in physical danger if i am very cafeful.

Also read this thread..very positive:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=bogota

Last edited by catwood; Aug 24, 2005 at 2:26 pm
Old Aug 24, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, UA, VX
Sounds exciting Chris! I'd jump at the chance if I were you. Especially since you won't be on your own and will have spanish speaking friends with you. I say go for it, be careful and just use common sense as you do any where you travel. I live in LA....now that's dangerous!!!
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:02 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I'm jealous that you're considering going to Bogota. I hear it's quite amazing. I don't think it's any more dangerous than say Lima, Caracas, San Jose, Buenos Aires, Guadalajara, or East Saint Louis. I've been to quite a few places in Latin America myself and I think as long as you're not flashy, you shouldn't have any problems.
The only problem that I've encountered, particularly in Peru and Venezuela were taxi drivers. I didn't like the fact that there were no meters. You have to negotiate the price in advance. Knowing that you're a foreigner, they're going to charge you more.
That's why I make sure to ask the hotel concierge what the rates typically are. Have a great trip if you go.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I'm going.. don't speak much beyond survival spanish.. i'm not really worried.

crime in Rio de janeiro is almost double what it is in Bogota these days, and thousands of people get off planes at GIG daily.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by gemini573
The only problem that I've encountered, particularly in Peru and Venezuela were taxi drivers. I didn't like the fact that there were no meters. You have to negotiate the price in advance. Knowing that you're a foreigner, they're going to charge you more.
That's why I make sure to ask the hotel concierge what the rates typically are. Have a great trip if you go.
in all honesty, that's good advice ANYWHERE, meters or not, since a driver can take a very circular route knowing you're a foreigner (and it's happened to be even in cities with meters).

FWIW, Bogota taxi's have meters according to the Lonely Planet. Venezuela (at least CCS) were lacking.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 3:27 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by catwood
Anyone been to Bogota? I may go with my friend from Panama and curious for any thoughts/recommendations, clubs, where to go/stay,etc.

Chris

Catwood, please go this fall and write up a detailed TR. I'm going to Bogota and Cartagena In December, so if you could go ahead and do this before then, that would be great... ^
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:12 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I spent a week in Colombia last September on business, working with a Colombian client. My business was all in Bogota but I flew Avianca to Cartagena for the weekend on my own. When I was in Bogota, the Colombians picked me up and dropped me off everywhere and took me to dinner and all that, which put me more at ease than I would have been to begin with. Bogota has a fairly active dining scene, with lots of high-quality restaurants in the Zona Rosa (T-Zone, for the shape made by its principal streets), the newer G-Zone (for gourmet), and the area around the park in the 90's (Calle 90+, that is). Unfortunately, I was too tired to hit any of the nightclubs, as much as I wanted to. The biggest and most famous is Andres, which is just outside Bogota to the north and a happening place for people (grown-ups) of all ages to spend an evening. There are others closer to central Bogota, and they come and go like in any other city. I didn't get to any gay clubs, but according to Lonely Planet, they're there. Bogota has a few sites worth seeing but isn't really a touristy town. A drive around the old part of the city (the Candelaria) should give you the highlights, though a visit to the churchs atop the mountains east of the city is supposedly worth it.

Cartegena is much more beautiful, though I found it generally a lot like San Juan, PR. The old city is much larger than in San Juan, just as the new waterfront hotel/condo tower district is much smaller. A city tour (available in part in English) of Cartegena is worth it. I stayed at the Santa Clara Sofitel in Cartegena, reputed to be the best hotel in town. While nice, I wouldn't rate it up there with world-class resorts and found it somewhat overpriced. Until the abatement in narco-terrorism gains solid momentum and allows investment in new facilities in Cartegena, I'd say it's worth it if you're in the neighborhood but not necessarily someplace I'd go out of my way to visit.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:46 am

Taking the GLBT out of the equation, as I am none of the above and your original question didn't seem to be asking about anything related to your preference, Bogota is a very interesting city. Makes things easier if you're with spanish speakers, but having someone who speaks the local language is helpful in any city. Taxis do have meters and, from my experience, tend to be honest. Unfortunately, on my last visit, about a year ago, the gold museum (Museo del Oro) was closed for the most part (the good parts were closed) so just hope that it's reopened. It's an amazing sight. The Museo Nacional is also worth the time. Nice display of South American artists and a very good Botero selection. It's set in an old prison which is interesting in its own right.

Depending on when you go, weather can be cool. I have stayed mostly at local joints, but last time I stayed with a friend at the...oh, for crying out loud I have drawn a blank. One of the nicest hotels in the city, only a short distance off the Plaza Bolivar. I don't nightclub so I don't know about any in particular.

Look. Is Bogota the safest in the world? No. Is it the most dangerous? I don't think so. I felt worse walking through New York. You want to take normal precautions. Don't walk much at night, stay out of the barrios, keep an eye on your surroundings, don't walk through the Centro Historico alone at ngiht, and don't wear a lot of jewelry or flash a lot of cash. The Zona Rosa district is a bit antiseptic but nice in its own right. A lot of great restaurants there including one that we had a fantastic paella at. There are chains, but try local places and you will get a better experience. Bogota doesn't have a whole lot of tourists, but that is part of its charm. The people know that it's got a bad reputation, and that the reputation is deserved, ut they are very proud of their city. The people are friendly and will talk with you. They are educated and many are as cosmopolitan as in any other large city. If you don't look latino, you will get people who are curious about you and who will talk with you. Just watch yourself...as you would in any city.

One last minor point. While in Colombia, if you're from the US you're not American. You're either North American (Norte Americano) or United Statesian. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

a lot of great replies, i am interested in clubs and stuff, but i bet my friend from Panama will know the gay scene as well....
Old Aug 25, 2005, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bogota certainly has one of the most pleasant climates year round. No extremes whatsoever. Very rarely does temperature exceed above 23C or fall below 14C. If there is one thing that you'll enjoy in Bogota, it will definately be the comfortable temperatures. ^
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Catwood any updates on your trip ? We are thinking about it as well. Bogota that is.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:49 pm

Wow talk about extreme travel.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, Avianca Platinum Exec
I like Bogota a lot - great city of 8 million people. It's quite spread out, but taxis are plentiful and cheap. The food is great, nightlife is great and the women are great (from my perspective).

I've stayed in Bogota about 12 days/nights over the past 12 months - mostly on my way to Medellin. There are some very dangerous neighborhoods in Bogota, like anywhere - just know where you are going.

I usually stay in the Zona Rosa - you'd think you were in TriBeCa, but with perfect weather and much lower prices. The temp remains constant year-round: It might hit 80 during the day and it'll go down to 55 at night - perfect for walking around in a sportcoat.

I prefer Medellin - I have an apartment there. But Bogota is right up there. Very cosmopolitan city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.