Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

PSA: A little review of Temptations Sunday in Las Vegas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors

So over the 4th July weekend I went off to the LGBT pool party at the Luxor. It's held every Sunday out of season.

I have to admit, it was better than I expected. Mind you, I was expecting an LA-heavy crowd of cliquey plucked/waxed WeHo "Mean Girls" (Gurls?).

The crowd was very mixed. Everything from "barely legal" (21+) to grandfather and all ages in between. Pretty much every thinkable demographic was represented. And it was a very friendly/social vibe rather than a meat market/judgey vibe. Despite all types, I still regretted eating carbs - ever.

The speedo/squarecut to boardshort ratio was about 5:1. I rocked my commando print budgy smuggler, leather (also Aussie) cowboy hat, and Ray Bans. The outfit got compliments. If you've got swimwear of the not of the male-swimming-burqa variety that you don't trot out because you're tired of the stares/heckling, this is the place to dust it off.

Most people were here in couples/groups of friends, but some of us were on our own.

Prices are very "family friendly." Signing up via Eventbrite by 10am the morning of gives you free entry between 1-2 pm. Otherwise, it's $20 for out-of-state ID or $10 for Nevada/military. This is much, much cheaper than what you'd pay for the straight pool parties. Drinks were standard strip rip offs. $5.50 for a sparkling water, $10+ for a stronger beverage. I opted against drinking. It wasn't a crazy drunken rave, so I didn't stand out.

While it was overwhelmingly gay, there were more than a few lesbians, who were more than welcome. I can't attest to any of our B and T relatives, as I wasn't out to police sexuality/birth certificates.

The shocked looks from the more wholesome-looking straights trying to have a leisurely swim at the adjacent pool were priceless.
tmorse6570 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended

..."out of season"?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
..."out of season"?
Summer time

Helpful link here Warning: there's eye candy/men in speedos. In case that might not fly at work.
tmorse6570 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
..."out of season"?
I was wondering the same thing. Why does the OP say that Summer time in Vegas is "out of season"?

Different crowds go to Vegas at different times of the year.

The young (20s, 30s) crowd from Southern California flocks to Vegas on summer weekends for the pool party/ party scene. Summer in Vegas has always been peak season in my mind.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I was wondering the same thing. Why does the OP say that Summer time in Vegas is "out of season"?

Different crowds go to Vegas at different times of the year.

The young (20s, 30s) crowd from Southern California flocks to Vegas on summer weekends for the pool party/ party scene. Summer in Vegas has always been peak season in my mind.
Because "high season" is when it is cold/winter weather at travelers' origins, and they thus go to Vegas where it is much milder.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Summer in Vegas has always been peak season in my mind.
Vegas doesn't really have a peak season... it can vary greatly day to day depending on conventions/holidays. But generally speaking, July and August weekdays are "slow."
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm sorry I bothered.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Amelorn
I'm sorry I bothered.
Don't be!

The Luxor party is a great mixed crowd... something for everyone.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I thought this thread was going to be about the singing group...but, happy to know as I pretty much stopped looking up gay events/parties the last 2 years going to LV. I'll be back in Sept with friends so may check out.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone been to this recently? I'm thinking of taking a weekend in Vegas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.