Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Do you and your partner use one Custom form?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you and your partner use one Custom form?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: AA ex-Plat
We have never yet tried, though we are married (well the UK "everything but the name" civil partnership, to be exact). This is mainly because, to be honest, I would be up for an argument but my husband would rather get to our hotel. I see his point.
same for me -- i'll be up for an argument if we're challenged, he wouldn't. course, that would be coming into the US as a US citizen, him with only a GC -- but neither of us are married or partnered legally in any jurisdiction. that, and if i can get him to fill out the form for both of us so i don't have to do my own ... =)

can't remember what we did CUN-JFK in april, but MTR-NYP on amtrak in october, we both used one form because we reside at the same address. different last names, different passport countries, different races.

i struck up a conversation with the custom's agent when he asked about carrying food back to the states. i mentioned ketchup chips in my bag, and we chatted for a few minutes, he signed off on the form and went on his way to the next passengers. never mentioned us using the same form. it may be dependent on the agent's discretion and how they feel the paperwork should look ...
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
Thumbs down Customs forms

Why do we still have to fill out this form if we have nothing to declare? What do they do with this paper anyways? The form seems like a relic. How embarassing for us that the Canadians and Norwegians are treated this way, first impressions count.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Not an option for me since I am single, but once on a flight into Canada saw a flight attendant give customs forms to two men sitting next to each other. I thought it was kind of funny that she didn't seem to get it when one of them said he didn't need his own.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by georgeroads
Why do we still have to fill out this form if we have nothing to declare? What do they do with this paper anyways? The form seems like a relic. How embarassing for us that the Canadians and Norwegians are treated this way, first impressions count.
I think it is because they are petrified to give up any little iota of power they have. They know deep down because of technology advancements half of them are redundant.

The process should be scan passport, fingerprint and photograph if needed and waive on 99% of the time. Then a simple red or green channel for customs with minimal staffing.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dan6681
I think it is because they are petrified to give up any little iota of power they have. They know deep down because of technology advancements half of them are redundant.

The process should be scan passport, fingerprint and photograph if needed and waive on 99% of the time. Then a simple red or green channel for customs with minimal staffing.
I think they probably get more people declaring items if they are required to sign forms than if they are not. I would guess that most people do not know what the duty free exemption is and just walk through the green channel thinking that they do not have enough. Requiring everyone to sign a form makes it easier for them to force everyone to think about the issue and add up their purchases. A signed form declaring nothing is also useful for prosecuting those who try to bring in goods without paying duty.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by rjque
I think they probably get more people declaring items if they are required to sign forms than if they are not. I would guess that most people do not know what the duty free exemption is and just walk through the green channel thinking that they do not have enough. Requiring everyone to sign a form makes it easier for them to force everyone to think about the issue and add up their purchases. A signed form declaring nothing is also useful for prosecuting those who try to bring in goods without paying duty.
I don't think signing a form or not is going to help or hurt the prosecution of people deliberately avoiding duty tax. Regardless, one can bring back $800 worth of stuff every 30 days duty free (excluding limits on alcohol and tobacco). Maybe it is just me, but coming home from abroad, if I had $800 or more worth of goods I would definitely declare them. By not doing so I am subjected the goods to forfeiture.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Quick update on this: We came back in through JFK T1 last night. Maybe the worst experience ever. We walked up together using one form, as always. First agent asked if we had a marriage certificate with us. We said of course not, do straight people carry theirs around? He said he couldn't work with us together, only separately. I asked if we could try another agent -- he said sure, so we walked out the entrance & went to another window. Second agent was very well informed: "the Federal Government doesn't recognize same-sex marriages. I'll process you guys together, but you have to fill out a second form." He was trying his best to be gracious, but had a "the rules are the rules" attitude.

To the people who asked about getting into a fight/arguing with the immigration officer, I think that's missing the point. They have all the power, so it's not an argument. You simply have to do what they say. But there's still value in asserting your rights, even if they're routinely taken away. Besides, the agents don't make the rules, Congress does. Fight with your elected officials, if necessary, or help elect fair-minded candidates.

David
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:38 am

No clear policy on any of this

Anyone read the thread through to this point? You can see that experiences differ. I'll bet if you got fifty of those US guys in a room they wouldn't agree on what the official policy is. Tonight I discovered, to my surprise, that it's the same with Canada. Returning to YYZ from ACA, we approached the officer together, with separate forms (no legal marriage, different addresses). I asked him cheerfuly "we're travelling together, do you want us together or separately?" and he gave me one of those "technically I shouldn't, but I want to impress you with my unbigoted behaviour and I want you to owe me" speeches. I couldn't help being alarmed, because several trips ago we stood at the red line and when my partner went up alone, the agent summoned me to join him, saying essentially that it was inappropriate (even suspicious) for me to go separately if we're traveling together. So I naturally thought I had been corrected, and that in future I should always join him at the desk when entering Canada.

I frankly don't think there IS a "policy" on this stuff, or if there is I doubt the agents follow it. Or know it. Or care.

Kinda like the security drones who only confiscate the shaving cream when it's l'Occitane.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:28 am

We use one form each when arriving in the US. As he is American and I am British, we have to use different lanes and it makes it simpler. Of course when they ask me why I am travelling to the USA, I still stay that it is to stay with family. Occasionally, they'll ask me where the wife is, and usually, I'm able to say "he's over there" and point.

Lately though, CBP seem to be giving him a harder time when he goes back to the US than I.

Mark
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rjque
"We don't recognize it at the Federal level . . . yet."
I reckon that a couple friends of mine who has just had married in Toronto got "It is only recognized in Canada" kinda response when they were trying to go back to New York.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mjgodden
We use one form each when arriving in the US. As he is American and I am British, we have to use different lanes and it makes it simpler.
Er...nothing 'simpler' about it; you have to do what you are doing, else they'd ask where your Customs form was.

I liked your comment "he's over there" though ^
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by yyzgayguy
Tonight I discovered, to my surprise, that it's the same with Canada. Returning to YYZ from ACA, we approached the officer together, with separate forms (no legal marriage, different addresses).
The policy for entering Canada using one Custom form is simple...you must live at the same address. On Air Canada flights it is even announced that way by the FA's before they hand out the forms. Canada hasn't cared whether you are gay or straight for quite a while now.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Since SSM is not legally recognized by the US federal govt, I have never used a single form. Why confront them....the agents in the booth are not the ones who make the policy.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Since SSM is not legally recognized by the US federal govt, I have never used a single form. Why confront them....the agents in the booth are not the ones who make the policy.
The form is ambiguous, IIRC. It says "one per family" and not "one per married couple and children."
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Curious if any (unmarried) couples have had experience with this since the rules changed in 2014?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection broadened the definition of “members of a family residing in one household” to include long-term same-sex couples and other domestic relationships.
(...)
“Domestic relationship” would be defined to include...Two adults who are in a committed relationship including, but not limited to, long-term companions and couples in civil unions or domestic partnerships where the partners are financially interdependent, and are not married to, or a partner of, anyone else.
http://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-c...s-declarations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.