FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Do you and your partner use one Custom form? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/1158788-do-you-your-partner-use-one-custom-form.html)

david55 Dec 11, 2010 11:11 am

Do you and your partner use one Custom form?

We tried it this trip to Mexico. It worked both going into Mexico and coming back into the States. We share the same address.

Cool.

WanderingGent Dec 11, 2010 8:15 pm

We've never tried it. But then again although we have the same address, we have different citizenships.

djjaguar64 Dec 11, 2010 11:24 pm

We do it only when arriving back into Canada.

rjque Dec 11, 2010 11:55 pm

Tried it in DFW and it was not well received. I plan to keep doing it.

ijgordon Dec 12, 2010 11:52 am

Tried it getting off a cruise in Port Everglades -- needed to combine the duty-free exemption for a watch purchased in St. Thomas.
The customs guy did look at the sheet and asked where we purchased the watch (because it would have been over the exemption if purchased in St. Martin) but he didn't say boo about two guys using one form.

DavidHatt Dec 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Hello,

I wouldn't mind using one form but "we" each buy more than $800 worth of goods! :rolleyes:

David

putongo Dec 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 15431213)
Tried it in DFW and it was not well received. I plan to keep doing it.

Pray tell, what on earth was the response from the enlightened agent? Kudos to you for continuing to try it!

rjque Dec 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by putongo (Post 15452076)
Pray tell, what on earth was the response from the enlightened agent? Kudos to you for continuing to try it!

"We don't recognize it at the Federal level . . . yet."

Buster CT1K Dec 15, 2010 6:26 am

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 15452224)
"We don't recognize it at the Federal level . . . yet."

That was better than some other possible responses!

IndyDavid Dec 16, 2010 1:45 pm

We always use one, which is the most stressful part of the whole trip. My partner is Latino & I'm of Scottish descent, so the first question is always "You two family?" We say, in unison, "We're married! :)" From there, every reaction is different. Sometimes the agent says "Good for you!" Sometimes she says "Are you legally married?" Other times they warn us that they'll let us through this one time, but next time we have to each fill out a separate form.

David

djjaguar64 Dec 17, 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by IndyDavid (Post 15463534)
We always use one, which is the most stressful part of the whole trip. My partner is Latino & I'm of Scottish descent, so the first question is always "You two family?" We say, in unison, "We're married! :)" From there, every reaction is different. Sometimes the agent says "Good for you!" Sometimes she says "Are you legally married?" Other times they warn us that they'll let us through this one time, but next time we have to each fill out a separate form.

David

That is quite sad, the Land of the FREE and Brave is so backwards thinking.

ksu Dec 18, 2010 10:51 am

We tried...

Arriving at JFK on BA from London last month, we were only handled one form by the (probably gay) cabin crew.

We are both Norwegian, living in Norway and legally married in Norway. When we arrived at Immigration, we were told that as same-sex marriage is not recognized at US Federal level, we were not allowed to use one form. From the way it was phrazed, it appeared clear that this was a rehearsed response. My husband had to go and find a form and eill it in. Happily, we were allowed to wait at the booth, not having to join the end of a VERY long 1 AM queue. We have earlier been allowed to present a single form, so a political specification of policy appears to have occured :(

seanp7 Dec 20, 2010 2:04 pm

I've tried it once, emphasizing that it says one per household (does it still say this? I can't remember). No dice, my partner was sent away to find a form, not in a rude way though. We are not legally married, but reside at the same address.

hsmall Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm

We have never yet tried, though we are married (well the UK "everything but the name" civil partnership, to be exact). This is mainly because, to be honest, I would be up for an argument but my husband would rather get to our hotel. I see his point.

When entering through Shannon last summer I was asked about my hold luggage. I said my husband had the receipts attached to his passport. The Texan agent had to swallow hard but said nothing.

david55 Dec 23, 2010 8:52 pm

In our case...although not legally married....we share the same address and last name ( partner changed his to mine).

....so for all I know the Custom guy thought we were brothers....

That said it was a bit weird. I questioned the flight attendants on the wisdom of trying one form on both our flights, in and out of Mexico

" Are you sure we should just use one form?" Both said "Yes" repeatedly.