Wiki Posts
Search

IST?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
IST?

Me and the BF are thinking of Turkey in September. Anyone have tips on dos and don'ts?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Welcome to Flyertalk -

There are several threads on Istanbul in the forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-...endations.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-...-tel-aviv.html

are two - more can be found using the "search" function (it's in the blue bar at the top of the page.)

Enjoy Flyertalk!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 2P
My BF and I will be going IST and ATH in Septebmer as well. Thank you FlyBalletGuy and I will visit that thread.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Whatever you do do not hold hands and do not be flamboyant. Turkey is a beautiful country with beautiful people. We loved it.
With the Bars, we were really disappointed, went to one but nothing special.

The links posted by the moderator may help.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 3:43 pm

Okay, thanks.

Do you know any good hotels or apartment to stay in? Or what district?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We stayed at a Turkish hotel near Taksim Sq but if you want luxury there is always the 4 seasons which was the Prison in the movie the Midnight Express. There is also the Intercontinental hotel. But like I said we wanted to be near Taksim Sq.

You will love the city, beware of pick pockets. Make sure you take the public ferry that brings you to a little island from where you can climb a little hill to get a good view. Can't remember the names, but do a search on google.

The Ramada looks good and is also near Taksim Sq.

http://taksim.hotelle.com/properties.asp?hid=776
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: A Few
Going through IST (on our way to Beirut) in September with my partner as well. Chose Witt Istanbul Suites and The Park Hyatt for accommodation.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Going through IST (on our way to Beirut) in September with my partner as well. Chose Witt Istanbul Suites and The Park Hyatt for accommodation.
Thank you yycworldtraveler. I will take a look at these hotels.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
We stayed at a Turkish hotel near Taksim Sq but if you want luxury there is always the 4 seasons which was the Prison in the movie the Midnight Express. There is also the Intercontinental hotel. But like I said we wanted to be near Taksim Sq.

You will love the city, beware of pick pockets. Make sure you take the public ferry that brings you to a little island from where you can climb a little hill to get a good view. Can't remember the names, but do a search on google.

The Ramada looks good and is also near Taksim Sq.

http://taksim.hotelle.com/properties.asp?hid=776
Thanks djjaguar64 . The Ramada looks very nice. The 4 Seasons would be nice, but a bit expensive and want to be in the Taksim Sq area. We are gonig to IST-ATH. We are thinking of spliting the two countries evenly or spend more time in IST. We are not sure if there is more to explore in IST or ATH. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:21 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by thetravelman
Thanks djjaguar64 . The Ramada looks very nice. The 4 Seasons would be nice, but a bit expensive and want to be in the Taksim Sq area. We are gonig to IST-ATH. We are thinking of spliting the two countries evenly or spend more time in IST. We are not sure if there is more to explore in IST or ATH. Anybody have any suggestions?
We like IST a lot more than ATH - 1 or 2 days in ATH is plenty (the Acropolis is obviously the big attraction in ATH).
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Plat
My BF and I will be going IST and ATH in Septebmer as well. Thank you FlyBalletGuy and I will visit that thread.
DH and I are going to be in IST & ATH in August/September as bookend to a cruise. In IST, we're staying at the Witt Suites.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
We like IST a lot more than ATH - 1 or 2 days in ATH is plenty (the Acropolis is obviously the big attraction in ATH).
Thank you so much peteropny. My partner was thinking the same thing, but he wasn't sure. Now, you have confirmed that for him.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by ledger
DH and I are going to be in IST & ATH in August/September as bookend to a cruise. In IST, we're staying at the Witt Suites.
Yea, I heard that the Witt is very nice. We haven't decided yet where we will be staying. So many choices...
Thanks for your input.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peteropny
I agree with Petropony.
In Athens we stayed at the Marriott Lledra, which had a shuttle that would bring you from the hotel to the city center(about10 mins).
The Acropolis and the NEW Acropolis musuem was the best part of our trip and that was that.
In Istanbul we liked the city, people and the scenery in general. Lots more to see.
I would recommend spending 3 days in IST and 2 in Athens(not sure how long your trip is).
I planned the trip really well. The Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar(we just walked in the back alleys of the bazaar to get a real feel of the whole area, then the ferry trip to this place(the name which I cannot remember), Taksim area trolley ride, sitting in the cafe's and sipping a capucinno.
Oh i want to go back now.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: NZ, QF
Yea, I heard that the Witt is very nice. We haven't decided yet where we will be staying. So many choices...
Thanks for your input.
To spoit you with more choices, there is Hilton IST in Taksim Sq. I stayed there in Feb for a long weekend getaway - loved the location, facilities and view. I liked staying in Taksim Sq as it's vibrant and at the same time is where local people hang out too. Plenty of good restaurants which seem not too touristy. Also a shuttle bus to Ataturk airport directly. May go again later this month or next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.