Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Istanbul bar, club recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

This is my very first...post...be gentle. Traveling to Turkey on 5/5 and spending a few days in Istanbul before getting on a boat. Wondering if there are recommendations for gay bars, clubs, etc. while in Istanbul. We are staying in the old city part (near Blue Mosque, etc.).

(I tried to search but did not find any dialogue on this...)
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:34 pm

Anyone with recommendations

Hey there. Done some seaching but cant find anything current. I am heading to Istanbul this week and am looking for bars/clubs recommendations or info on the gay scene. I am staying in Taksim at the Hyatt Regency. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold
My favorites gay bars/clubs in Istanbul:

BB (Bar Bahce) - bar/lounge open until 2am
Love - Dance club open until 4am
Tek Yon - lounge/dance club after 11:00pm
Babylon - although a mixed bar, this is one of the best places to see live acts/djs

Hope it helps. Istanbul has a fab nightlife so do explore beyond the gay spots.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Don't forget the new-ish Club 3 at the weekends off Istiklal. A converted cinema with a wrestling ring in the centre of the dance floor for slightly bizarre "fights" by oiled up men in skimpy shorts on Saturday night!!

These articles and web sites may also be of interest:
http://www.advocateinsider.com/travel/index.html
http://www.gturk.net/english_travel_mp.htm

Enjoy Istanbul - great city and lots of fun!
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:30 pm

Many thanks!

Perfect! Really appreciate it
Old Jun 14, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: LH SEN, ME Cedar Miles Prestige
Originally Posted by brysal
Perfect! Really appreciate it
And be aware that you have to pay for the straight- and good-looking, muscled guys which hang aroud in nearly every bar/club.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I'll be in IST next weekend, 19-21 October. My 3rd trip there in 5 years--a fairly easy NW Mileage Run via AMS.

Any further updates on Clubs/Bars/Hamams ?
Staying at HI City Istanbul (not the airport one)--hotel prices are MUCH higher than a few years ago--darn Euro!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:18 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Be really careful at the bars. I have heard lots of stories, including two from good friends of mine, of being approached/hit on by some pretty good looking guys at the bars in Turkey and then ending up having to pay for their "services."
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Any updates ?

I am going in November so would love more recent info...

Also, any good recommendations for accommodation?

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I'll be in IST next weekend, 19-21 October. My 3rd trip there in 5 years--a fairly easy NW Mileage Run via AMS.

Any further updates on Clubs/Bars/Hamams ?
Staying at HI City Istanbul (not the airport one)--hotel prices are MUCH higher than a few years ago--darn Euro!
I forgot to update....
I made some Turkish friends on Gayromeo. We went to Tek Yon together, and it really was a decent place--I'd go back. Interestingly, my Turkish friend enjoyed pointing out the Money Boys (though I could have done it pretty well myself!).
So yes, there are Money Boys there, but plenty of regular guys, too.
As for hotel prices, they are MUCH more reasonable now--at least acceptable!
Stayed at the W Istanbul--fabulous--though a bit out of my price range.
IMHO, if you've already been to Istanbul before, there is little to no reason to stay on the Sultanhamet side--it's mostly tourism-based stuff happening there (the bazaar, the big mosques, Topkapi Museum), while the Taksim side is, to me, more of the "real" Istanbul.
Have a great time!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Thanks.

I will be going there also in November (6-9th), but have not yet booked hotel !
Thanks again ! Got some ridiculously cheap Easyjet flights... my first ever on EasyJet !
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:40 pm

Going to Istanbul soon. Looking for recommendations for gay clubs and such. Has anyone been there recently? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:56 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by saint82
Going to Istanbul soon. Looking for recommendations for gay clubs and such. Has anyone been there recently? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

really the most interesting place is Sahara, a tranny bar with lots of str8 men, who are really str8. they have no interest in u unless u try to dress a little fem. (no i did not do it!) it is really interesting however, men this guy who goes to IST often and he is not all that great looking or fem but to pick up some pretty hot "str8" guys he puts on wigs and goes there. the place is pretty amazing. be careful lots of tranny hookers etc...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: TK Elite, *A Gold
The newest club in istanbul is called XLarge. It's very easy to find. Very close to The Marmara Pera Hotel near Taksim and on the street right next to a Thai restaurant called "Cok Cok". It's a great place. Highly recommended...
Old Apr 4, 2010, 5:06 am

Does anyone have an update?

THings to do/stuff to avoid?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.