Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii recommendation !!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Foady
Is Lo Jax a gay sports bar?
Yeah that's the theme -- they cleaned up/remodeled the old ANGLES space and added several HD screens and a larger projection. Again, if you have been -- the great thing about now LOJAX is it's second floor location with the lanai seating overlooking Kuhio Street. They also serve food at night. Simple bar fare. We didn't try anything. Too scary. But, good space. Good location.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:37 pm

Is Lo Jax a gay sports bar?
Sorry. . . to be more precise . . . yes it is a gay bar - gay sports bar theme. Actually, like the old Angles -- kind of cruisy, but fun even if you aren't lookin'
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
Originally Posted by davesam12
Sorry. . . to be more precise . . . yes it is a gay bar - gay sports bar theme. Actually, like the old Angles -- kind of cruisy, but fun even if you aren't lookin'
I'll check it out the next time I'm in HNL. I never did like Angles. I found myself more at Hula's, Lotus, Pearl, Next Door, and other downtown/chinatown venues when I lived there.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:58 am
Former user name: laundrian
Original Poster

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
I really don't have high expectations. I do want to relax, go to a spa, beaches....get a nice tan.

Here are things that I def want to do before I leave the island:
- Experience the Luau. Sure, it's commercial but I just want to say I did it.
- Tubing, diving, bungee jumping, hiking up to the Diamond head Crater, mountain climbing... ect...
- Take a drive up to North Shore, Haleiwa

Since I will only be there for 5 days, I will probably just stay in Oa'hu. MAYBE I will take a quick plane ride to one other island for the day if possible. It will be either Maui or the Big Island.

I love to eat so please let's me know if there are any GOOD food places. Probably looking for a nice fine dining restaurant (nothing too commercial, $$ isn't an issue) for one evening as well as cheap casual fun places.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:36 am

If you are going to do a side trip to Maui, I would recommend the Old Lahaina Luau over any of the luaus on Oahu.

These are food places I miss on Oahu:
- Chef Mavro
- Alan Wong's
- Roy's (Yes, it's now a chain but the original is located in Hawaii Kai)
- John Dominis
- Nobu (yes, it's a chain)
- Side Street Inn
- Ono's Hawaiian Foods (if you want to sample Hawaiian food and can't make it to a luau)
- Tai Pan (dim sum in Chinatown... it's small, order off the menu, but it's the best dim sum in my opinion)
- Romy's Kahuku Prawns and Shrimp Hut (near the North Shore... there are other shrimp shacks but this is my fav)
- Yotteko-Ya (ramen)
- Taiyo Ramen (kim chee fried rice, chicken katsu curry)
- Sushi Sasabune
- Petite Garlic (italian place hidden in a small st in Waikiki)
- C and G Luncheons (it's where I always get breakfast and plate lunches when I worked in downtown)
- Bangkok Chef (on Nuuanu north of downtown, thai hole in the wall)
- Indigo (on Nuuanu downtown... food is ok, but I go for the best happy hour/best lychee martini on Fridays)

I forgot to mention...
- Rumfire @ Sheraton Waikiki, hosts a gay lounge/bar event once a month on a Sunday... it's quite popular
- Art After Dark at the Honolulu Academy of Arts (last Friday of each month)... not gay, but you'll see the gays mingling with the straights, enjoying drinks, pupus, and art.
- First Fridays (of each month)... art galleries and other venues stay open at night for a happy hour of sorts
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:39 am

I'll check it out the next time I'm in HNL. I never did like Angles. I found myself more at Hula's, Lotus, Pearl, Next Door, and other downtown/chinatown venues when I lived there.
Know what you mean. . . Angles was kind of dive/dump, but unpretentious, laid back and usually kind of quiet. We discovered with friends on our first trip to HI years ago. As "tourists" my partner and I always felt it had a townie kind of vibe we liked. And again, the little lanai area was/is fun. Hula's is great. But, always crowded, staff is friendly to tourists (sometimes feel like the locals/regulars resent the tourist crowd, but of course they flock there) definitely the top club in Waikiki. In Oahu we always stay right on Waikiki, so go to the places we can walk to or cab it (after cocktails Are any of those downtown bars still open?? Would be fun to check them out. Don't see them listed in Odyessy Hawaii magazine, etc.

ArtfullyUrs --

Food? Well lots of great food on Oahu. $$$$$ - try Roy's (2 locations Waikiki and he has a place around Diamond Head side) Alan Wong's is to die for, Orchids or La Mer at the Halekulani (but you have to wear long pants, shoes and a jacket) Diamond Head Grill at the W used to be fav of ours, but avoid now that the W let the franchise go.

More moderate $$$- we like - Duke's or Hula's at the Outrigger - classics. We like the Tiki Grill/Bar it is on the second level of the ResortQuest Hotel across from the Marriott. You can find other hidden food treasures all over the island.

If you don't want to do one of the tourist luaus . . . you might consider the luau dinner show at the Royal Hawaiian hotel. Food/service was much better. They have it on their beautiful lawn overlooking the beach/diamond head view as the sun sets. They just do it one (maybe two nights a week during summer months - used to be Mondays and Thursdays) We haven't tried it since the RH reopened after the remodel, but will our next trip in July. Assume it is still good. We shall see. . .
Enjoy!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:45 am

My 3 favorite beaches on Oahu:
- Sandys Beach (beware of the rip tides, but this is where all the hot bodysurfers go)
- Lanikai Beach (stop in on Kalapawai Market in Kailua to pick up lunch/snack/drinks to enjoy in Lanikai)
- Waimea Beach (north shore)
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ArtfullyUrs
I really don't have high expectations. I do want to relax, go to a spa, beaches....get a nice tan.

Here are things that I def want to do before I leave the island:
- Experience the Luau. Sure, it's commercial but I just want to say I did it.
- Tubing, diving, bungee jumping, hiking up to the Diamond head Crater, mountain climbing... ect...
- Take a drive up to North Shore, Haleiwa

Since I will only be there for 5 days, I will probably just stay in Oa'hu. MAYBE I will take a quick plane ride to one other island for the day if possible. It will be either Maui or the Big Island.

I love to eat so please let's me know if there are any GOOD food places. Probably looking for a nice fine dining restaurant (nothing too commercial, $$ isn't an issue) for one evening as well as cheap casual fun places.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
I wouldn't waste your time with a day trip to another island - unless there is plenty of lava flowing on the Big Island. Based on your list, I'd still recommend switching the entire trip to the Big Island. The best luau in Hawai'i is there, the best spa is there (Four Seasons Hualalai), the best beaches are there, and there is great hiking, scenic drives and water activities including wild dolphin swims.

If you've only paid for the HNL ticket at this point, it's easy to tack on the inter-island ticket to get to KOA and back for your 5 days.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
My favorite Hawaii experience is to sit at the House without a Key restaurant at Halekulani hotel overlooking the Pacific Ocean and having their wonderful buffet breakfast. I did this as often as I could whenever I visited Honolulu and it is quite possibly the most marvelous and civilized breakfast setting in the world.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Just made reservation for the Royal Hawaiian Luau, Roy's and La Mer....I am sure there are more places that I want to try.
Since I can only stay in Oahu, I will try my best to explore the island. We have plans to go snorkeling...

Now the hard part, figure out what to wear
Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
Don't overpack. After making dozens of trips to HI over the years, I am now able to take a carry-on for a week. Shorts, t-shirts, swimwear, and sandals will serve you well for almost anything you want to do. Since you'll be in Waikiki, there are an abundance of places to get clothes if you think you're going to run short. Have fun!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malsf1
Don't overpack. After making dozens of trips to HI over the years, I am now able to take a carry-on for a week. Shorts, t-shirts, swimwear, and sandals will serve you well for almost anything you want to do. Since you'll be in Waikiki, there are an abundance of places to get clothes if you think you're going to run short. Have fun!

LOl, I always over packed. I gotta bring my jewelries too
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:05 pm

Sounds like you won't make it over to Maui, or if you go, you'll do a day trip. If you were staying on Maui for a few days, I would highly recommend the Maui Prince Hotel. It's the last hotel on the west side of the island after everything in Kihei and Makena. It's an older hotel but in fairly good condition, and the staff are excellent. Even staying there, we still could get to most parts of the island in about 20-30 minutes.

If you wanted to do a day trip to Maui, there is the winery, and the observatory/national park. It's a very nice drive up to the national park and back. It's very memorable.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by davesam12
Are any of those downtown bars still open?? Would be fun to check them out. Don't see them listed in Odyessy Hawaii magazine, etc.
Yes, they are still there. I'd be surprised if they are listed in the Odyssey.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec
Time to bring this back from the dead.

I heard that there is now a new (at least to my knowledge) gar bar in the Kona area. The only one I knew was the Mask, but it seems the other one is about a block or two away from it. Anyone know?

Also, in Oahu, I usually stay at the Waikiki Grand (the one where Hula is at) but it seems that every year the nicer rooms are being sold away and not offered for rent. My favorites were room 720 then the penthouses. Anyone know which are the better rooms (facing Diamond Head) that are still available for rent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.