Customs and Connections in TXL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customs and Connections in TXL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
And by then your carry-on will have been checked (at least in theory) or will be checked if you can't show that you've been on a itinerary with a transit at a Schengen airport before arriving at your final destination, which is a Schengen airport as well.
Right, so at that point in time I can take my contraband out of my checked luggage, and into my hand luggage? And refuse to open my hand luggage claiming it was already checked?

And please just stop. I've linked you the rules. Those are applicable regarding when and where your checked baggage/carry-on has to be checked by customs (at least in theory).
No, as you say yourself... this is very much a theory, not the practice.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto
And refuse to open my hand luggage claiming it was already checked?
If your carry-on has been checked, you'll be able to show the second customs officer the declaration of said goods and the proof of payment of any due duties.

Without those papers, you'll need to pay all due duties, whether the goods are in your carry-on or your checked bags.

The theory aspect applies solely to the point, that customs are allowed to check your carry-on, as it will never happen that they do active checks. What remains is however the passenger's obligation to declare any goods when he crosses into Schengen. The two signs (green/red) after immigration aren't just there for decoration. In other words: If you pass the point during transfer without declaring and they stop you, you'll have to pay the duties and on top of that fines. You might even get your stuff confiscated.

BTW: It's the passenger's duty to declare. If he has something in his carry-on, he will need to declare it before joining the Schengen area.

It's frankly surprising that you still continue to hang on to your opinion even though the rules on the matter are clear and apply to the whole Schengen area. Whether you find these rules logical or/and practical is irrelevant to the discussion. I therefore suggest that we stop this whole OT now.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:36 am

Right, so at that point in time I can take my contraband out of my checked luggage, and into my hand luggage? And refuse to open my hand luggage claiming it was already checked?

On the page referencing the rules, there is a note that there are instances where they can still in some cases examine anything.

Even within the EU, there are restriction on quantities that can be brought without paying taxes between member states on goods such as alcohol and tobacco. So you can't even for example, enter EU in Warsaw, buy a ton of cigarettes, then connect on to Germany and refuse to allow your hand luggage be inspected.

Doesn't even have to be at a border where a baggage check takes place. It's not uncommon in Germany to see customs in the A2 motorway well away from the border. I've been fortunate enough to be subject to a random check at the central station in Stuttgart. Customs from Belgium and Germany can often be seen near Dutch border, etc.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:41 pm

The two signs (green/red) after immigration aren't just there for decoration. In other words: If you pass the point during transfer without declaring and they stop you, you'll have to pay the duties and on top of that fines. You might even get your stuff confiscated.
You keep on claiming that those signs exists after immigration, while in fact, I have never seen them in CDG despite connecting there to other EU countries at least 10 times in the last few years.

The practicality of those rules is much more relevant to this thread than the theory.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:41 pm

You keep on claiming that those signs exists after immigration, while in fact, I have never seen them in CDG despite connecting there to other EU countries at least 10 times in the last few years.
I can't speak for CDG, but they do exist at other major airports including FRA and AMS. They don't exist at LHR, as LHR is not part of the Schengen area. I know that they don't exist at smaller airports, where passengers arriving from non-Schengen origins enter baggage claim immediately after immigration and pass customs as passengers arriving at their final destination.

BTW: I don't make claims. I state the rules and linked the source explaining them. If that's not to your liking, get hold of some responsible from the EU and make them change the rules.

For now this won't change anything: The rules exist and are passively enforced (i.e. not officers actively checking you).This however doesn't change the fact, that the passenger has to step forward and declare goods if necessary.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:00 am

This however doesn't change the fact, that the passenger has to step forward and declare goods if necessary.
I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't change the the fact that PAX arriving at some of the biggest Schengen airports have no way of knowing that they should do that...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:22 am

I can't speak for CDG, but they do exist at other major airports including FRA and AMS. They don't exist at LHR, as LHR is not part of the Schengen area. I know that they don't exist at smaller airports, where passengers arriving from non-Schengen origins enter baggage claim immediately after immigration and pass customs as passengers arriving at their final destination.

BTW: I don't make claims. I state the rules and linked the source explaining them. If that's not to your liking, get hold of some responsible from the EU and make them change the rules.

For now this won't change anything: The rules exist and are passively enforced (i.e. not officers actively checking you).This however doesn't change the fact, that the passenger has to step forward and declare goods if necessary.
Just a little side note

The whole customs issue at hand here is EU related, not Schengen.

Norway and Switzerland are Schengen but not EU, so you could transit ZRH and at destination hand luggage and checked baggage are liable to be checked.

UK is (currently) EU but not Schengen. So even if there is no passport control if you are solely connecting at LHR, declarations to HMRC are still required and, in theory, they could, should, and probably do sometimes do checks.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
The whole customs issue at hand here is EU related, not Schengen.
Yes indeed. I wrote Schengen to exclude the situation regarding the UK, which is somewhat specific. They don't really care regarding transit passengers and the control once you actually enter Schengen will usually do the trick.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
What remains is however the passenger's obligation to declare any goods when he crosses into Schengen.
They don't exist at LHR, as LHR is not part of the Schengen area. I know that they don't exist at smaller airports, where passengers arriving from non-Schengen origins enter baggage claim immediately after immigration and pass customs as passengers arriving at their final destination.
While it is correct that it is the pax's obligation to declare, this has nothing at all to do with Schengen or not. Schengen is a travel area and not a customs area. When travelling from Switzerland to Germany, you need to clear customs, but no immigration. When travelling from the UK to Germany, you need to clear immigration, but no customs.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
baggage are liable to be checked
Being in the customs area of an airport, all of you baggage including yourself can be inspected in most jurisdictions....
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Customs at TXL must be the most laid back job in the world because I can't think of a time I saw anyone declaring anything or anyone questioning a pax about their travels.
Couldn't agree more. Was at TXL a couple of days ago. Landed remote gate. Once bus arrived at terminal, mass of people just walked thru both green and red channels. Everyone who walked thru red channel just strolled thru as if it had no meaning whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.