Wiki Posts
Search

No such thing as security fast track at DUS, despite signs stating the contrary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G
No such thing as security fast track at DUS, despite signs stating the contrary

As DUS regulars will know, (a) there are "fast track security" entries at DUS (A gates) which are both manned and controlled by scanners, (b) everyone is entitled to join the relevant lines behind the gates regardless of whether they came in through the fast track gates or the regular ones, (c) once you've cleared the fast-track gate, you are supposed to join the end of the "fast-track" line. So, in essence, this is just a scam - there is no such thing as security fast track at DUS. The line can be thirty, fourty people deep when only a few peope entitled to fast track are in it.

Over the past months, I've asked security, lounge and police personnel about this. There is much fingerpointing going on - here's what I've been able to establish so far: (1) Whoever you ask about it is not responsible for this, and neither is their employer; (2) there is a weird concept of "non-discrimination" in place which only applies to this particular fast track but not the (separate) VIP service which anyone can buy at DUS; (3) airlines apparently do not pay extra for fast track.

I'm wondering why, when every other airport in Germany with a fast-track concept can get it right, DUS is so blatantly failing, and why they put up the fast-track charade in the first place? It is really annoying to see this (both at the airport and on your boarding pass) and then find that there really is no fast-track line although you're allegedly queuing in it.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I know what you mean. It's also the case at the B gates. It would be so simple to solve this by adding another Tensa-barrier with one person enforcing access according to which gate they came through. But I suppose that's too obvious a solution.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:14 am
Original Poster

I'm under the impression that, for some strange reason ("we don't discriminate and treat everybody the same - unless, that is, you buy the VIP package"), they simply don't want to do it that way at DUS - which is why I find the existence of this "fast track" ridiculous.

Anyway, things are likely to get worse for *Gs (including LH elites) at DUS - I understand LH will give up their DUS lounges soon, although there will be some kind of replacement (*G lounge or some such). Although, admittedly, catering has steadily gotten worse over the years at the SEN lounge, this is one of the relatively few SEN lounges where pax are still treated as guests and this comes across as genuine.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ObserverA3
I understand LH will give up their DUS lounges soon, although there will be some kind of replacement (*G lounge or some such).
Wow. That's not good news. And a bit odd if there is a *G lounge, since LH so dominates the airport.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wow. That's not good news. And a bit odd if there is a *G lounge, since LH so dominates the airport.
LH only has a handful of flights out of Düsseldorf
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Only if you don't include 4U flights (i.e., those flights operated by the LH group where at least LH elites get some semblance of * benefits). I suppose LH's "strategy" is consistent - but they will only continue to annoy their passengers.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
LH mainline plus Eurowings does have a significant presence, and on Eurowings flights BEST, Hon Circle and Senator get LH lounge access
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:21 am
Suspended

I should have clarified that I mean LH Group, which has a big presence.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
As I said before, LH is discriminating DUS based elites. They only care about FRA and MUC. The rest can fly EW and get much less benefits.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by ObserverA3
I'm wondering why, when every other airport in Germany with a fast-track concept can get it right,
In HAM the fast-lane is "a bit" seperated, but if you look a bit, accessing this basically needs only something "golden" in your hand.
Some flight ago I went in there with an LH BP (Y) (upside down) and showed my "golden" 4U/EW CC - not a second look.

My bad.. it was "illegal by the lines", but well.

PS: if the fast-lane is "empty" they'll wave over pax from the "plebs lines".
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
In HAM the fast-lane is "a bit" seperated, but if you look a bit, accessing this basically needs only something "golden" in your hand.
This is very true. I was once as asked if I had 'any kind of gold card' when my BP didn't work. I showed her a very expired AC card and she waved me through.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not good news for us FTLs, certainly, but the times I've been on a Basc fare (on 4U/EW) I didn't miss the lounge that much. About the security, it seems very egalitarian to me, and relatively friendly...compared to FRA, that is. I have to say, I have always managed to get through with enough time to spare, even when there were lots of people.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:50 am

The problem with Hamburg is not that they allow just anybody in who has something shiny at hand but that in principle it is the same issue like in DUS. People can just walk from the regular lines over to the Fasttrack after the BP check. And that happens quite a lot...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
As I said before, LH is discriminating DUS based elites. They only care about FRA and MUC. The rest can fly EW and get much less benefits.
I personally like EW best by far better than LH C. Better hardware, good crews and pretty good fares if you get Best restricted.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Just used DUS in connection with BA and CX flights the two previous weekends again.

Security was not an issue on both occasions, but immigration seems to be when arriving from HKG (and other long haul destinations). I guess DUS has not really been designed and built to accommodate the long hauls it hosts today.

Instead of lounges, I'd wish for the Kikaku sushi outlet to be airside. Would just spend my time there before every departure. The present airside restaurants and coffeeshops are badly designed and not really visitor friendly at least where I frequent.

Btw, was happy to pick up a printed copy of "Duesseldorf geht aus 2016/17" at the airside newsagent.

I've got quite a good picture of Japanese and Korean restaurants there but as it seems will do layovers once or twice almost every month this year will pay a visit to some nice fish, Italian etc. restaurants recommended in the guide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.