Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany Trip Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
If you are staying in Mainz then I would suggest;

Rudesheim - very nice town and close. You could take the train to Bingen and then the ferry across to Rudesheim, or the train via Wiesbaden to Rudesheim (or do it each way once as a round trip).

Between Rudesheim and Wiesbaden is all wine growing region, so you can stop in any small town/village along the way and drink local wine. Eltville is also nice.

Koblenz - bigger town and also nice. The direct train from Mainz - Koblenz goes along the Rhein and has great views.

Koblenz is also the gateway to the Mosel, as already mentioned, also good for wine. I would also suggest Berkastel-Kues on the Mosel, another nice historic town.

Going further away and towards Munich, then I agree with some others;

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is very famous and quaint place.
Nuremburg is a nice large city
Bamberg is also a great place, and close to Nuremburg (possible as a day trip)

Apart from Rothenburg ob der Tauber, the rest are easily done with the train.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you everyone. I get the logic that the route should be toward the Munich destination. So cancelled my reservation in Mainz. Thinking Würzburg for the first night, maybe first 2 with a side trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Except researching Würzburg hotels--couldn't come up with anything that sounds memorable--suggestions? Keeping in mind we'll be traveling by train. Worried that Rothenburg might be too touristy for me, but maybe not; won't know I guess unless I see for myself. (Two places I found so disappointingly touristy--Annecy and old Quebec, like Main Street Disney. Two places that I loved Evian and Bruges.)

Also see the logic in going straight from FRA to Nuremberg. Will stay a few days at the Holiday Inn in Nuremberg using my plentiful IHG points. Thus the desire mentioned above to stay in a hotel somewhere else the first couple of nights that has some charm. Will do suggested day trips from Nürnberg. Confirmed for the Regensberg BMW factory tour. Then onto Munich for the 2 days of Oktoberfest (more anxious to see the parades vs. beer). From there, Garmisch and nearby day trips as I previously mentioned.

Trip is only 10 days away. I have analyzed, researched and pondered the first half of the vacation way more than a sane person would consider normal. Have to pull the trigger soon.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Do you like mountain drives? It's a bit of a 3h drive from Munich and Garmisch but do-able and very worthwhile...the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. A stunning drive to Austria's highest mountain.

Last edited by LondonElite; Sep 8, 2015 at 3:56 am
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a very pretty place to visit, immaculately maintained and preserved, with the Käthe Wolfahrt christmas shop for some fun. Good Bavarian food to be had there too.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
If you have a spare day or two in Southern Germany, I would recommend the Bodensee (Lake Constance) area. Lindau, for example, is an easy enough day trip from Munich.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Thank You

Back from our trip and just wanted to say thanks for the time everyone took to post. It was a fun trip but an exhausting one--will need a long recovery time. Standout highlights were Oktoberfest, opening day, and the BMW factory tour in Regensburg (amazing). Also, enjoyed Nuremberg (plus stay was at the very nice, new upscale Holiday Inn) and Munich. First day went from FRA to Wurzburg and happened upon a music/street festival. Then next day Rothenburg ob der Tauber; once is enough for me but my husband liked it more--it is picturesque. From there Nuremberg, Munich and then Garmisch.

Also enjoyed Munich and Nymphenburg Palace, Marienplatz and Viktualienmarkt. We did a touristy hop-0n/off bus tour of Munich because it was the fastest way to cover the most ground in that city in 1 day. I'm glad we did it because we saw so many beautiful areas--much better than the Hauptbanhof area. As I mentioned, Oktoberfest was so fun and I don't drink beer. Crowded yes, but nothing worse than other places/events we've been.

The trip was too many different stops/cities, using trains with luggage that wasn't small/light enough. Would work better perhaps if we were 30 years younger. Ended up taking more taxi rides than ever anticipated. For example, Wurzburg to Rothenburg--couldn't face the trains & changes, up/down stairs--splurged and paid a $107 taxi fare. Also a disadvantage of taking public transportation that wasn't anticipated was the reality of exposing oneself to illnesses of other train passengers. Our stay in Garmisch was at the end and I was most looking forward to it. But I was so sick with the flu I couldn't leave the room for 1-1/2 days. Haven't had the flu like that in at least 5 years and I work in the health care field. Missed doing most of the things I had planned which was so disappointing. At least the hotel was the nicest and most comfortable room of the trip.

Impressed by the friendliness of the people, the safe feeling, the great public transport system, the beautiful green scenery, charming towns. The food was somewhat disappointing, meat was overcooked & dry IMO, plus lacking chicken and fish options. But loved the wine, beer and the prices! Hotel bedding was interesting/different. Purchased some beautiful glassware in Miltenberg at a fraction of what the US cost would be (cute town and an easy train ride from Garmisch after my sick days).

For sure a memorable trip.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:16 am

Travemünde in the northern parts is quite beautiful. Of course a visit in summer is nice because of the ocean and huge beach, but personally I like autumn a lot in Germany. There are days in September and October where you have temperatures of summer while getting the magic of autumn at the same time.

You won't experience anything equal again.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by JacobT
Travemünde in the northern parts is quite beautiful. Of course a visit in summer is nice because of the ocean and huge beach, but personally I like autumn a lot in Germany. There are days in September and October where you have temperatures of summer while getting the magic of autumn at the same time.

You won't experience anything equal again.
I don´t know if it´s such unique but it´s nice!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:53 pm
Suspended

St Peter Ording is a much nicer beach!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Steph58
For sure a memorable trip.
I'm glad you liked it and had a good time!

There may be an unpleasant flu strain in Europe, I was also down with flu a couple of months ago despite vaccination. Without hermetic isolation it is hard to avoid.

I agree one visit to Rothenburg may be enough - but it's nice once
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steph58
We have a 10 night vacation planned for mid-September, flying into FRA. When I booked the (good deal) air tickets, I didn't realize the dates included Oktoberfest. So last half of the trip will be in Munich for a few days, then the final 3 nights in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. But for the first 4 nights I've spent months going back & forth on where to visit.

Right now I've got the Hyatt in Mainz booked for some time in that area. Everything I've booked can be cancelled so am still debating if I should chose another area. We enjoy visiting wineries here in California; initially I was thinking Strasbourg but then decided when in Germany for a only a short time why not stay there. Have thought about Gengenbach to visit the Black Forest. Booked and cancelled Heidelberg; ditto Stuttgart.

Plan to travel by train and avoid renting a car if possible. I have a lot of IHG points, some Club Carlson. However, hotels in Germany seem reasonably priced so using points isn't a necessity. My husband and myself--prefer picturesque towns, museums, castles vs. hiking or outdoor sports. My normal MO is trying to cram as many places into a short time; however, trying to avoid that this trip and stay at least 3 nights in each place. I get it now--each time you pack and move takes a lot of hours of my precious vacation time.

Really am having a hard time making a choice at this point. Appreciate suggestions from anyone who's familiar with Germany.
Octoberfest will be crowded, but that might draw people away from the clubs. I'd suggest checking out Berlin's electronic music scene. (Kreuzberg has many fun clubs - I'm actually not a fan of discos in the states but there's a more relaxed, collegian environment in Germany imho.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by greggarious
Octoberfest will be crowded, but that might draw people away from the clubs. I'd suggest checking out Berlin's electronic music scene. (Kreuzberg has many fun clubs - I'm actually not a fan of discos in the states but there's a more relaxed, collegian environment in Germany imho.
I guess you missed it. The OP's trip is over and they are back in the US. Read post #21.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by greggarious
...and Oktoberfest ended yesterday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.