Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by FFlash
We will lift and carry the Fiat Panda into our suite in HI Neuss
Especially good if it´s raining
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Like you should in the whole region. A car-theft is possible, especially in the top-neighborhoods. Simple reason: People have better cars.... But normally this thefts aren´t too dangerous and run away if they see people. One colleague of me attacked some thefts with his Sushi-knife
I've never been anywhere in Germany that I didn't feel safe. And I've been all over the country.

I laughed at your story about your colleague and the Sushi knife, that is pretty funny stuff ^
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
A one more silly question to our German friends here:

As we are planning to go visit Dortmund soccer match during this weekend, I just saw on new IHG pointbreaks list Holiday inn Express Guetersloh, and it seems the property is fairly neat and new. It would be a no brainer to use that for lodging after the game in Dortmund. It is some 100km drive eastwards.
How is Guetersloh otherwise, any worth driving those 100km oneway to get a "almost-free" night there, if there is some nice areas around there to "sightsee"?
As said, we don't have any special plans and we have car. Just funnying around.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
With the greatest amount of respect to the nice people of Gütersloh, the place is not worth driving 100km for any reason, least of all a Holiday Inn Express!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In Düsseldorf I usually stay at the Hyatt Regency, which I think is a very nice hotel. I just checked for your dates and advance purchase rates are €158, and flex rates are €175. Very good prices for that property.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
In Düsseldorf I usually stay at the Hyatt Regency, which I think is a very nice hotel. I just checked for your dates and advance purchase rates are €158, and flex rates are €175. Very good prices for that property.
The thing is that while I could accept a bit more upmarket property, my companions this time are very budget-conscious.

Thanks anyway!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
With the greatest amount of respect to the nice people of Gütersloh, the place is not worth driving 100km for any reason, least of all a Holiday Inn Express!
+1, the car-drive would be also nearly more expensive in my eyes as the hotel in Dortmund.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
13-15 of March has an alcohol fair in DUS - basically a drinking fair.

We were looking at the points bargain ticket with SAS and found out something wrong with the hotel price and then found out about the fair.

Our favourite hotel is the Renaissance Dusseldorf - free minibar, breakfast and half price restaurant voucher for elites.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
We were looking at the points bargain ticket with SAS and found out something wrong with the hotel price and then found out about the fair.

Our favourite hotel is the Renaissance Dusseldorf - free minibar, breakfast and half price restaurant voucher for elites.
That hotel seems in fact reasonably priced.

Yeah, I did burn lowly 10000 EB points for a pointa bargain campaign ticket which costs around cash price 500€, so good value for points
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
That hotel seems in fact reasonably priced.

Yeah, I did burn lowly 10000 EB points for a pointa bargain campaign ticket which costs around cash price 500€, so good value for points
After we found out about the fair we decided to go there during another weekend.

That hotel is nice to Marriott Elites.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

So we ended after all staying at HI Ratingen and HIX Dortmund due to "price-shopping". Cheap hotels with no frills (see the other thread for reviews).

I followed the pricing in the area for curiosity, almost every day.

The prices were decreasing by time, and when approaching 1-2 weeks before the date, the hotel prices had come down remarkably (only the HI/HIX ones), but during the last days before weekend, they went up again and finally sold out practically all.

I take it as there was a Wine Fair starting Sunday, most travel agents had prebooked all hotels just in case, up to very high prices, and finally prices started to come down as people were confirming their attendance or absence.

There was also a Horse Show in Essen on Saturday which finally was adding on top and caused a major traffic jam in the area. Oh well, there is not a single visit in Ruhr area without getting mad about the traffic...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
So we ended after all staying at HI Ratingen and HIX Dortmund due to "price-shopping". Cheap hotels with no frills (see the other thread for reviews).
I've stayed at both hotels. I thought the HI Ratingen(DUS) got sold off not too long ago? The HIX Dortmund put out a nice breakfast in the mornings for guests. As do most HIXs in Germany.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:53 am
JBa

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I've stayed at both hotels. I thought the HI Ratingen(DUS) got sold off not too long ago? The HIX Dortmund put out a nice breakfast in the mornings for guests. As do most HIXs in Germany.
HI Ratingen got sold to the Leonardo Group but still runs as a Holiday Inn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.