FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   What's up in DUS area 13-15th March? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1649204-whats-up-dus-area-13-15th-march.html)

FFlash Jan 25, 2015 7:08 am

What's up in DUS area 13-15th March?

Looking for a soccer weekend in Dusseldorf area on 13-15th March 2015, and all hotels seem to be fully booked or crazy expensive. Is there a major event or something on those dates?

Been looking at Club Carlson, IHG and Hilton (which I would prefer to stay at) properties and many are not available or 200-400€ range. Usually one easily gets below 100€ on weekends here.

Dunno, maybe I should try and learn to do BRG for any of those 400€ rooms, I have never done a single BRG claim...

Fanjet Jan 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Is that when they have that boat trade fair there?

There are so many convenient rail connection to the city. Try looking at hotels in Essen or Bochum or Gelsenkirchen. Even Dortmund isn't that long of a train ride. Of course, Köln is an option as well.

flyingfkb Jan 26, 2015 5:58 am

The boat fair is right now and almost over. In march is a wine and liquor convention at the convention center. As soon as a convention is in town hotel prices sky rocket in Düsseldorf

seawolf Jan 26, 2015 9:46 pm

What's up in DUS area 13-15th March?

Messe Dusseldorf calendar

FFlash Jan 27, 2015 1:53 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 24240334)

Thank you. I was googleing but did not find such an overview. I am just surprised that such ProWein fair is so big that even if the fair starting on Monday, hotels are well booked already on Friday and Saturday. Peope coming over to have beer over weekend as pre-drinks :D

FFlash Jan 27, 2015 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 24232532)
Is that when they have that boat trade fair there?

There are so many convenient rail connection to the city. Try looking at hotels in Essen or Bochum or Gelsenkirchen. Even Dortmund isn't that long of a train ride. Of course, Köln is an option as well.

I found somewhat reasonable yes at Essen and Dortmund, but those are quite ugly places I guess. Would prefer in city, but you do not always win in life.
Perhaps I should extend the view and look for alternative non-chain accomodations as well if there are good ones below 100€

offerendum Jan 27, 2015 3:25 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 24241051)
I found somewhat reasonable yes at Essen and Dortmund, but those are quite ugly places I guess.

Dortmund yes, Essen not really. But both are not Paris..... Which hotels do you consider?

seawolf Jan 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Sometimes I stay as far as Monchengladbach or Koln.

FFlash Jan 27, 2015 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 24241299)
Dortmund yes, Essen not really. But both are not Paris..... Which hotels do you consider?

Actually I rebooked my HI Essen to HI Neuss to have more proximity to Dusseldorf and the other night at HIX Dortmund for the proximity of Westfalen stadium.
Not a big fan of HI/HIX but Hilton&CCarlson were crazy expensive. BTW I read a hotel review on HI Neuss and someone had their cars stolen from the street! Hope it is not that bad, I am usually pretty lax about safety:eek:

Kathrin Feb 4, 2015 9:24 am

Essen is the most interesting city in the whole Ruhr district, and I'd rank it much higher than Düsseldorf which is IMHO highly overrated. It's a pity that people know so little about the city and judge from a reputation that derives from the coal mining era and is outdated by 30 years. They weren't Cultural Capital of Europe for nothing in 2010.
Here is my two cents worth about Essen, in case anyone is interested: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/fd22/

FFlash Feb 6, 2015 8:51 am

Great tip about Essen, thanks!
The whole area of Ruhr still has a bad image. I too was earlier that Dusseldorf is boring ugly (those times I stayed at Köln area, hehehe ;) who told me that) not worth visiting, but I have found it nice. Sounds like I need to explore Essen next.

Cargojon Feb 6, 2015 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 24247265)
Actually I rebooked my HI Essen to HI Neuss to have more proximity to Dusseldorf and the other night at HIX Dortmund for the proximity of Westfalen stadium.
Not a big fan of HI/HIX but Hilton&CCarlson were crazy expensive. BTW I read a hotel review on HI Neuss and someone had their cars stolen from the street! Hope it is not that bad, I am usually pretty lax about safety:eek:

HI Neuss isn't great. It's not terrible, but if you don't have a car, there is pretty much nothing to walk to. The hotel is somewhat dated as well. I did walk (quite a ways) to the mall, and I felt 100% safe the entire time, it's mostly businesses around there.

I'll not stay there again unless I don't have much of a choice. Not because of the area or any safety issues, simply because I found the hotel to be somewhat dated.

It's funny, it always seems there is some kind of convention / trade show / etc in Germany every time I'm there...I always end up having to scramble for hotels because my overseas counterparts typically wait till the last minute to tell me what cities I need to be in on which dates.

offerendum Feb 7, 2015 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Cargojon (Post 24306346)
and I felt 100% safe the entire time

Like you should in the whole region. A car-theft is possible, especially in the top-neighborhoods. Simple reason: People have better cars.... But normally this thefts aren´t too dangerous and run away if they see people. One colleague of me attacked some thefts with his Sushi-knife

FFlash Feb 7, 2015 7:01 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 24307449)
Like you should in the whole region. A car-theft is possible, especially in the top-neighborhoods. Simple reason: People have better cars.... But normally this thefts aren´t too dangerous and run away if they see people. One colleague of me attacked some thefts with his Sushi-knife

Haha :)

Yes I will have a car so location is not problem after all. And I will a couple of heavyweight lifters in my travel group in case someone tries to steal our Fiat Panda or whatever they give us for the low money...

offerendum Feb 7, 2015 10:33 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 24307587)
Haha :)

Yes I will have a car so location is not problem after all. And I will a couple of heavyweight lifters in my travel group in case someone tries to steal our Fiat Panda or whatever they give us for the low money...

Only problem: They don`t steal it when you are present;)