Reload this Page >

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

The Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport was originally set to open in 2011; the opening has been postponed to October 2020.
https://simpleflying.com/berlin-bran...rport-opening/

It is being constructed adjacent to Schönefeld Airport, which it will replace.
Print Wikipost

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Well, the Elbphilharmonie opens on Saturday
...actually, today!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Still a huge fan of TXL -- the longer it takes to open BER, the happier my husband and I remain (with all due respect to our German friends and relatives, who are no doubt fuming at the cost overruns and inefficiencies involved in BER).
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Well, the Elbphilharmonie opens on Saturday only 7 years late and three times over budget so there's hope for BER yet!
Elbphilharmonie situation was better and worse than BER in different ways. A lot of the problems with Elbphilharmonie were more obvious and it was easier to see where the issues were and how to fix them. It was worse because it's not a utilitarian building; it's a pure vanity project. So they spent all that money and time on some prestige B.S. with little real value for most people in the region.

Meanwhile BER actually serves a real need and there's very good justification for the effort in itself. It's just horrifically mismanaged in ways people will probably never know because the involved parties (Berlin, Brandenburg, construction firms, architects) will do their best to obfuscate the problems to avoid potential prosecution. But the voters in those states re-elected the parties responsible, so I guess they can live with the waste of resources and negative economic effects on the region.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Elbphilharmonie situation was better and worse than BER in different ways. A lot of the problems with Elbphilharmonie were more obvious and it was easier to see where the issues were and how to fix them. It was worse because it's not a utilitarian building; it's a pure vanity project. So they spent all that money and time on some prestige B.S. with little real value for most people in the region.

Meanwhile BER actually serves a real need and there's very good justification for the effort in itself. It's just horrifically mismanaged in ways people will probably never know because the involved parties (Berlin, Brandenburg, construction firms, architects) will do their best to obfuscate the problems to avoid potential prosecution. But the voters in those states re-elected the parties responsible, so I guess they can live with the waste of resources and negative economic effects on the region.
However, if the Elbphilharmonie is as good as its builders hope it will be, it will be in use long after BER is torn down for its replacement. Great concert halls serve generations of concert goers and attract tourists to enhance the economy far beyond the people who actually attend concerts there, again for generations. Now, if it is a failure, then it will be a waste of money, but if it is as popular as the Sydney Opera house from an artistic point of view (it's actually not a great hall acoustically) or as brilliant acoustically as the Wiener Musikverein, it could easily provide more value per dollar spent than BER, long term. Vanity projects often fail, but when they do succeed, they can provide immeasurable value.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Everyone waxes lyrical about the Elbphilharmonie but I just cannot share the enthusiasm, not after what happened. Sure, the acoustics are exceptional, the architecture, the concept. But the mess that whole project became is beyond a disgrace, and was paid for at the German taxpayers expense. In a country stifled with endless anal rules and regulations and a gestapo like tax system, such scandals as BER, the Elbphilharmonie and numerous others (Stuttgart Bahnhof, anyone?) are, simply, inexcusable.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
Everyone waxes lyrical about the Elbphilharmonie but I just cannot share the enthusiasm, not after what happened. Sure, the acoustics are exceptional, the architecture, the concept. But the mess that whole project became is beyond a disgrace, and was paid for at the German taxpayers expense. In a country stifled with endless anal rules and regulations and a gestapo like tax system, such scandals as BER, the Elbphilharmonie and numerous others (Stuttgart Bahnhof, anyone?) are, simply, inexcusable.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to start a political discussion here as to the process which would be better dealt with in OMNI/PR. I was just discussing the potential long-term value of the end results.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:02 pm
Suspended

As far as the concert yesterday went, I thought there was far too much harmony-deprived music of the avant-garde. Thankfully Beethoven came to the rescue (as he often does) at the end with number 9.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
As far as the concert yesterday went, I thought there was far too much harmony-deprived music of the avant-garde. Thankfully Beethoven came to the rescue (as he often does) at the end with number 9.
Well at least you had the Beethoven to entertain you. Unfortunate that the modern music was harmony-deprived. There is plenty of modern music that isn't and harmony is often a better test of a concert hall than avant-garde music that is both less-well-known and less likely to be hurt by overly muddy acoustics.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
There was an interesting article about the concert and the acoustic in the newspaper "Welt". It´s on German: https://www.welt.de/kultur/article16...er-anders.html
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:57 am
Suspended

Interesting. I suspect they may have to tinker a bit with the acoustics, but given that it's a high room rather than a deep room there may not be much they can do.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Interesting. I suspect they may have to tinker a bit with the acoustics, but given that it's a high room rather than a deep room there may not be much they can do.
I guess you are right
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
According to https://www.thelocal.de/20170117/ber...year-after-all

This seems like official confirmation of a further delay. But as the article say, it is not really a surprise!

No surprise here: Berlin's new airport won't open this year (2017) after all

Berlin's much-delayed new airport has been hit by yet another setback, meaning the hub won't be ready in time for its planned opening date this year.

This time, the problem is the electronic doors and the sprinkler system, neither of which are working properly - meaning that the building is not safe in case of fire.

The latest problems arose over Christmas and have made it impossible to finish construction work in January as planned, according to DPA information. Completed construction in January was a prerequisite for the airport to open this year.

It is now just "20 percent ready" - a long way off the target of 80 percent completion which had been the goal for the end of last year, according to B.Z.

Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
According to https://www.thelocal.de/20170117/ber...year-after-all

This seems like official confirmation of a further delay. But as the article say, it is not really a surprise!
Wow... just wow. Someone needs to put a bullet in this project and put it out of it's misery. Level it and start over.

Regards
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Wow... just wow. Someone needs to put a bullet in this project and put it out of it's misery. Level it and start over.
It's frankly incredible that there hasn't been a general outcry against this sort of wasting public money. Sure, the public is annoyed an even angry, but AFAIK nothing has changed on a regulatory/legal level.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
further delay confirmed

It is confirmed - according to The Economist. Now opening delayed to 2018:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...st-explains-18

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.