Wiki Posts
Search

7 hours in Frankfurt on a Sunday

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
7 hours in Frankfurt on a Sunday

I have 7 hours to spend in Frankfurt this coming Sunday. 1 to 8 PM. I am considering taking the one hour open deck bus, and going to the jewish museum. Other than that no idea...what would you do?
Also - I wouldn't mind spend a couple of hours shopping but i hear the shops are ALL closed on Sunday...is this really so?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by ekobayashi
Also - I wouldn't mind spend a couple of hours shopping but i hear the shops are ALL closed on Sunday...is this really so?
Correct - unless your Sunday happens to be one of the special "shopping Sundays" which most larger towns now have once every three months or so.

Shops at the airport will be open. Shops at the train station will be open. If you've run out of milk or bread you can get it at a gas station. But that's about it.

I love German Sundays. A day of peace and quiet. A day when most families can do things together because most people don't have to work. A day that is.... different.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
There is not really that much to do and see in Frankfurt, especially on a Sunday as the shops are closed.

So instead consider going out to Rüdesheim by train. Although it will take some time, and you will have to change in Wiesbaden the town is a nice small town in the wine growing area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%BCdesheim_am_Rhein

Its on the Rhine and is a tourist town, and you can go up the hill on the cable chair and look around, stroll along the river and the small streets.

You can certainly waste a few hours there, and with the travel there and back you can fill 7 hours. And if you do still have some time left, then you can stop off in Wiesbaden on the way back and have a look around. Although the train station is some way out from the attractions. Just watch the train times!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:37 am

Bringing this forward. I will be there next Sunday. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, walk along the Main to get some fresh air.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
if the weather is nice, plenty of nice cafes and restaurants to enjoy
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, walk along the Main to get some fresh air.
Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Bringing this forward. I will be there next Sunday. Any thoughts?
Don't overthink this one - Just go downtown, walk around the Römer, Zeil and Main river area, and find yourself a nice old tavern to have a bembel of apple cider.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
And/or see one or two of the many museums - Frankfurt has top-class museums on about any topic, be it dinosaurs or telecommunications, and of course art galleries.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What a timely thread. I have an 10-hour stopover and would like to visit some towns where my ancestors lived that are a 20-minute drive East of FRA airport (30km).

How long does it take to rent a car @fra after you clear immigration? I assume traffic will be light on Sunday. Welcome any other suggestions for the area ...
Old May 2, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
You should have your car within 15 Minutes after you have collected your luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.