Wiki Posts
Search

Pass, or don't pass?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by hedoman
CONCUR....but I thought this thread was about craps.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:10 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Short Answer: Pass (same reason as already given, craps is a social game and unless most folks are betting Don't Pass, it's just not the same).

I have used the Don't Pass pretty effectively a few times in small craps tournaments, obviously in that case you're playing against the other players anyway, so conventional wisdom goes out the window.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
pass

Pass with an equal bet on the Come when a point is established. Sometimes it works. Sometimes, I get my head taken off in 3 rolls.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:57 am

I almost always pass. A very rare exception would be someone who is annoying me, and I will discreetly place a pile on the don't pass. My favorite was this dude that bet both, or course he had to deal with myself, the pit boss, box and stickman goofing on him for the duration.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
OK, here is a strategy I read about on the net. Play Don't Come. Then place the number for equal amount. If the number hits, then you get the "odds". If a 7 hits, you break even. BORING.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
50 AA miles to first person to identify the MAJOR flaw with the stategy in previous post.

Craps as a social game? Interesting concept.....one that has never crossed my mind.

Last edited by hedoman; Jan 11, 2009 at 8:39 pm
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
Placing a Point?

My understanding was that you couldn't place bet the point. That's what the odds are for on a pass/don't pass bet.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k
My understanding was that you couldn't place bet the point. That's what the odds are for on a pass/don't pass bet.
Most people don't place the point because they are playing the pass line as part of the game. However, if you approach a game with a point established, you can place the point at any time.

Some will place the point if they are on a double odds game to increase their bet amount.

Some don't play the pass line at all and just play place bets-including the point.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Not only can you place the point, you can also make a pass or come bet after the point is established, along with odds. This is called a "put" bet.

QL
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman
50 AA miles to first person to identify the MAJOR flaw with the stategy in previous post.

Craps as a social game? Interesting concept.....one that has never crossed my mind.
I'm going to assume that's a 7 on the initial roll costing you everything?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003
My answer exactly.

Only time I play Don't Pass is when someone really pisses me off.
Ditto. When wrong-ways turn right-way when it's their dice, I turn wrong-way. Pretty much sure $$$
Old Feb 3, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Buying the 4 or 10 will turn nice dividends on a hot shooter.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:44 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
Buying the 4 or 10 will turn nice dividends on a hot shooter.
especially, if you can buy the 4 or 10 in increments of $39 (or $35) for only a $1 vig on the win!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Beckles
Short Answer: Pass (same reason as already given, craps is a social game and unless most folks are betting Don't Pass, it's just not the same).

I have used the Don't Pass pretty effectively a few times in small craps tournaments, obviously in that case you're playing against the other players anyway, so conventional wisdom goes out the window.
I played in one craps tournament where in the opening session of 1.5 hrs we had 38 shooters. Being a stubborn pass line and numbers player then you can guess how long I lasted. I would handle much differently today.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, UA 1K, HY GLOBALIST
I played a sucker bet and won for the first time...

This weekend I was having a great time with a hot shooter who kept rolling my numbers. His point was 10 and of course I had full odds and the hardway. Well for some unknown reason I uttered the words "Hop the 5-5" for $10 just as he was ready to shoot. He throws a 5-5 and I rake in the chips for the hop, the hardway and the odds. I've never done that before and probably won't again, but I'll tell you it was such a sweet feeling. The very full table erupted in high 5's and whooping!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.