Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Marriage proposal in the French countryside (Burgundy/Loire Valley)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

My girlfriend and I are going to Paris for a week in February, and we're planning to do a short get-away in.Burgundy or the Loire Valley.for a couple days.. I'm planning to propose during this part of the trip so I'm looking for some help in finding the perfect place.. My girlfriend is the type that would prefer this to be a more private moment, so I'm thinking that somewhere in the country would make for a more memorable experience than doing it in Paris..

My ideal would be to stay at a nice chateau or inn with beautiful grounds where we could take a walk (understanding it will be winter!) and then have a long.celebratory dinner afterward.. I'm looking for a place to stay that would be special, so I'm willing to spend a bit as long as it's not extremely expensive (no more than 300 EUR/night).. We'll have a car so we can go somewhere off the beaten path but I don't want to go too far from Paris.
We're both into good food and wine, so I was thinking that Burgundy may be a great choice.. I have also been to the Loire Valley and thought that staying somewhere there may be memorable, as we would both love to tour some of the chateaus there.. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay or perfect proposal ideas?. Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM
I've stayed twice at a chateau in the Loire valley, south of Tours. It's a very romantic setting, with spacious, beautiful grounds, and a lovely restaurant.

http://www.tortiniere.com/

Of course the weather in February might not be ideal for strolling the grounds.

Best wishes to you both!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL GM
The most romantic place I've ever been is the Chateau de la Verrerie:
www.chateaudelaverrerie.com

It's on the edge of the Loire Valley, and looks like Sleeping Beauty should live there. I've stayed there several times and have always been delighted. I've never been in February, though...
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the recs. They both look amazing and just what I had in mind. Unfortunately they both appear to be closed for the winter until March 1. It's proven very difficult to find country spots that are open in the winter, especially in the Loire Valley.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Have you checked out the Relais et Chateaux website? This link goes to the Burgundy/Franche-Comte region but there are a few other areas around Paris to check out.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Have you checked out the Relais et Chateaux website? This link goes to the Burgundy/Franche-Comte region but there are a few other areas around Paris to check out.
That's a good one !
Also in the area of Bourgogne is the Chateau de Gilly.
Other network of nice hotels (not as luxury usually but also a bit cheaper than Relais & Chateaux) is Chateaux & Hotels Collection, which will give you a list for the Loire and Burgundy regions.

Also close to Paris, you might want to try Reims, the main city of the Champagne region, (40 minutes by train) and there's a nice Relais & Chateaux there as well: Les Crayres. And you could do a nice Champagne dinner as the restaurant is supposed to be quite good.

By the way: congratulations on taking the big step !

Last edited by Junior_2J&K; Feb 11, 2011 at 6:20 am Reason: Forgot to congratulate the OP !
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions (and congratulations). I ended up booking a room at L'Abbaye de la Bussiere, a Relais & Chateaux property: http://www.abbaye-dela-bussiere.com/home.shtml!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I live in Burgundy. There are a lot of very nice romantic places around here. And several castles you can walk the grounds on, although most are private and only have a few days open to the public.

This is a super nice place for a high end romantic dinner. http://www.bernard-loiseau.com/ and there is a hotel there too. If you join Club 5C (free for Amex Centurion) you get a nice upgrade and other bennies. The town is very special and there are several castles nearby as well as a huge national park.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you are interested in wine, you should propose in the vineyards at richebourg. i have been there a couple times in february, and the weather was usually quite decent. i can think of no place more famous than the top vineyards of Vosne-Romane. when i have been there in winter, one can walk through the vineyards.

i would look for a michelin 2* restaurant in the area and possibly west of where you are staying for the proper dinner.

i would suggest using one of the other ratings, but sadly, most of the other rating agencies have fallen by the wayside.

going to loire and burgundy is like going to florence. it is the dream of every american tourist.

i would look in nevers or moulins, as even modest restaurants near Vosne-Romane are going to cost well over 200
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by slawecki
going to loire and burgundy is like going to florence. it is the dream of every american tourist.
Huh? Going to Paris is the dream of the American tourist. It is relatively rare to see Americans in Burgundy.

Going to Burgundy is the dream of the French tourist. And a lot of Belgians, Dutch, Swiss, Germans, etc. And living here is the dream of many French in general. At least 80% of the French I meet are in some way jealous that I get to live here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.