Search

Renting a car in France

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Renting a car in France

I am tentatively planning on renting a car at the Eurotunnel terminal at Calais and driving up to Brugge for the day to go to their open market. Do I need to do anything in advance to drive through two countries? Am I okay with my AZ DL? Will my citi AA card cover extra insurance on the car?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Which agency are you renting from? There are forums for the majors, and another forum for general questions from the others:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/car-r...-services-392/
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
Which agency are you renting from? There are forums for the majors, and another forum for general questions from the others:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/car-r...-services-392/
Actually I don't know yet. I would like it to be National, but there is no National near the train terminal. I'm looking for a "car hire" right near the terminal so my mom can drive off and park her car at the car hire lot.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:03 pm

I've rented in France frequently (mainly from Avis). You'll be fine (at least at Avis, and I have to assume most majors) with an AZ DL. I assume you drive stick? You'll get a better choice of car if you don't need an automatic.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Whenever I rent in Europe I always read the fine print closely to determine into what countries I'm permitted to take the rental car. (Assuming I'm renting in one country and driving in another.) It can vary by agency and by make/model of car.

France/Belgium is likely not an issue at all. But read the fine print closely: it should specify clearly where you're allowed to go.

And yes, I hope you know how to drive a stick.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
Actually I don't know yet. I would like it to be National, but there is no National near the train terminal. I'm looking for a "car hire" right near the terminal so my mom can drive off and park her car at the car hire lot.
Maybe I'm not quite following, but it sounds like you're taking the car on the Eurotunnel and then parking it at Calais, and renting a car? Why not just drive the one you already have, I know about the right hand vs, left hand drive thing, but people do it all the time.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
Maybe I'm not quite following, but it sounds like you're taking the car on the Eurotunnel and then parking it at Calais, and renting a car? Why not just drive the one you already have, I know about the right hand vs, left hand drive thing, but people do it all the time.
I know people do it but I'm not. I don't even drive in the UK let alone drive a car with the wheel on the wrong side of the car while on the right side of the road. My mom doesn't feel comfortable driving her CRV on the other side of the road so rent it is.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Isn't it more expensive to take a car through the tunnel than just 2 passengers? Why not leave the car in the UK if the intent is to rent on the French end?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Isn't it more expensive to take a car through the tunnel than just 2 passengers? Why not leave the car in the UK if the intent is to rent on the French end?
No pedestrian traffic on Le Shuttle only cars.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
No pedestrian traffic on Le Shuttle only cars.
But there are Eurostar services and those stations usually have car rental agencies as well. Alternatively take a flight over. I can't imagine that traveling on the Shuttle (which is minimum 60£ IIRC + parking in France) will be that much more cheap.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Please follow this discussion in the France destinations forum.

essxjay, the OMNIs co-mod
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
But there are Eurostar services and those stations usually have car rental agencies as well. Alternatively take a flight over. I can't imagine that traveling on the Shuttle (which is minimum 60£ IIRC + parking in France) will be that much more cheap.
My mom's home is less than 5 miles from the tunnel entrance. Obviously gatwick doesn't make sense.

Eurostar doesn't go to Calais. The cost for the euro tunnel for 4 people is 40 quid.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
My concern would be assuming that you can use the car rental lot to park. Space is much more limited in Europe and the rental agency may not make parking available to private cars.

The distance isn't that far and most of the driving will be on an autoroute so driving your mother's car should be fine - just don't pass and preferably just follow other cars where possible. My first experience of driving a vehicle on the wrong side of the road was up the A3 onto the M25. Lots of people do in my neck of the woods especially with Japanese-market vehicles. Just saw a Japanese market MB van (hate to think of repair bills and parts availability).
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:20 am

The cost for the euro tunnel for 4 people is 40 quid.
Wow...I guess I had no idea it was this cheap!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Eurostar doesn't go to Calais. The cost for the euro tunnel for 4 people is 40 quid.
Still. Don't forget to take into account parking. That might get tremendously expensive. I would seriously consider using the own car. I've driven cars from the "continent" in the UK and it was a breeze.

BTW: There are Eurostar services that stop at Calais.

Last edited by WorldLux; Dec 13, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.