Renting a car in France

Old Dec 12, 16, 9:25 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,780
Renting a car in France

I am tentatively planning on renting a car at the Eurotunnel terminal at Calais and driving up to Brugge for the day to go to their open market. Do I need to do anything in advance to drive through two countries? Am I okay with my AZ DL? Will my citi AA card cover extra insurance on the car?
enviroian is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 9:27 am
  #2  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 10,983
Which agency are you renting from? There are forums for the majors, and another forum for general questions from the others:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/car-r...-services-392/
aztimm is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 9:33 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,780
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Which agency are you renting from? There are forums for the majors, and another forum for general questions from the others:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/car-r...-services-392/
Actually I don't know yet. I would like it to be National, but there is no National near the train terminal. I'm looking for a "car hire" right near the terminal so my mom can drive off and park her car at the car hire lot.
enviroian is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 2:03 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,761
I've rented in France frequently (mainly from Avis). You'll be fine (at least at Avis, and I have to assume most majors) with an AZ DL. I assume you drive stick? You'll get a better choice of car if you don't need an automatic.
Buster is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 2:46 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 46,786
Whenever I rent in Europe I always read the fine print closely to determine into what countries I'm permitted to take the rental car. (Assuming I'm renting in one country and driving in another.) It can vary by agency and by make/model of car.

France/Belgium is likely not an issue at all. But read the fine print closely: it should specify clearly where you're allowed to go.

And yes, I hope you know how to drive a stick.
pinniped is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 2:46 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 15,860
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Actually I don't know yet. I would like it to be National, but there is no National near the train terminal. I'm looking for a "car hire" right near the terminal so my mom can drive off and park her car at the car hire lot.
Maybe I'm not quite following, but it sounds like you're taking the car on the Eurotunnel and then parking it at Calais, and renting a car? Why not just drive the one you already have, I know about the right hand vs, left hand drive thing, but people do it all the time.
milepig is online now  
Old Dec 12, 16, 2:53 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,780
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Maybe I'm not quite following, but it sounds like you're taking the car on the Eurotunnel and then parking it at Calais, and renting a car? Why not just drive the one you already have, I know about the right hand vs, left hand drive thing, but people do it all the time.
I know people do it but I'm not. I don't even drive in the UK let alone drive a car with the wheel on the wrong side of the car while on the right side of the road. My mom doesn't feel comfortable driving her CRV on the other side of the road so rent it is.
enviroian is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 3:09 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 46,786
Isn't it more expensive to take a car through the tunnel than just 2 passengers? Why not leave the car in the UK if the intent is to rent on the French end?
pinniped is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 3:22 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,780
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Isn't it more expensive to take a car through the tunnel than just 2 passengers? Why not leave the car in the UK if the intent is to rent on the French end?
No pedestrian traffic on Le Shuttle only cars.
enviroian is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 3:56 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Posts: 8,228
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
No pedestrian traffic on Le Shuttle only cars.
But there are Eurostar services and those stations usually have car rental agencies as well. Alternatively take a flight over. I can't imagine that traveling on the Shuttle (which is minimum 60 IIRC + parking in France) will be that much more cheap.
WorldLux is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 4:05 pm
  #11  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: PDX
Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Posts: 15,970
Please follow this discussion in the France destinations forum.


essxjay, the OMNIs co-mod
essxjay is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 4:08 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,780
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
But there are Eurostar services and those stations usually have car rental agencies as well. Alternatively take a flight over. I can't imagine that traveling on the Shuttle (which is minimum 60 IIRC + parking in France) will be that much more cheap.
My mom's home is less than 5 miles from the tunnel entrance. Obviously gatwick doesn't make sense.

Eurostar doesn't go to Calais. The cost for the euro tunnel for 4 people is 40 quid.
enviroian is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 6:42 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 19,343
My concern would be assuming that you can use the car rental lot to park. Space is much more limited in Europe and the rental agency may not make parking available to private cars.

The distance isn't that far and most of the driving will be on an autoroute so driving your mother's car should be fine - just don't pass and preferably just follow other cars where possible. My first experience of driving a vehicle on the wrong side of the road was up the A3 onto the M25. Lots of people do in my neck of the woods especially with Japanese-market vehicles. Just saw a Japanese market MB van (hate to think of repair bills and parts availability).
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 9:20 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 46,786
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
The cost for the euro tunnel for 4 people is 40 quid.
Wow...I guess I had no idea it was this cheap!
pinniped is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 11:55 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Posts: 8,228
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Eurostar doesn't go to Calais. The cost for the euro tunnel for 4 people is 40 quid.
Still. Don't forget to take into account parking. That might get tremendously expensive. I would seriously consider using the own car. I've driven cars from the "continent" in the UK and it was a breeze.

BTW: There are Eurostar services that stop at Calais.

Last edited by WorldLux; Dec 13, 16 at 12:03 pm
WorldLux is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread