Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring Break itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Spring Break itinerary help

Hi everyone... planning a mid-April trip to France for our family of 4. What I've roughed out is admittedly a very aggressive trip.

We're not opposed to long days with lots of driving, and generally start our days very early. That said, I know this is a lot to cover in 8.5 days, so would be interested in your thoughts. One thought was to cut 1 day out of Paris, and extend a day in the Loire Valley region. Thanks in advance!

Friday night- fly to Paris from US
Saturday morning- arrive Paris. Afternoon in Paris
Sunday- day in Paris
Monday- day in Paris
Tuesday- depart Paris en route to Deauville (153 miles)
- Rouen, Honfleur, then overnight in Deauville
Wednesday: Deauville to Normandy to Mont St. Michel to Saint Malo (198 miles)
Thursday Saint Malo to Brittany region (Rennes, St. Nazaire and then overnight in Nantes) (159 miles)
Friday : Brittany region to Loire Valley (135 miles)
- Angers to Tours (overnight in Tours)
Saturday:Tours to Blois to CDG Airport Hotel (169 miles)
Sunday:
- Morning Flight home
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Remember that adjusting to the time change takes time, around one day per hour for a full adjustment. You may find that leaving "very early" after two days' adjustment time means getting out by eight or nine in the morning.

I don't like wearing myself out on vacation, so I'd probably just plan to enjoy Paris with one one- or two-night excursion elsewhere.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Half of this itinerary in 8 days would be rushed. April is generally cold, wet, and days are still rather short so youŽre not going to see as much as you plan on seeing.

You really miss too much, overlook (drive past) too many wonderful destinations by spending this much time on the road. I really wouldnŽt plan anything more than Paris and Normandy or maybe Paris and the Loire Valley. Paris, Normandy, and Brittany would be an 10 to 14 day itinerary. So would Paris, Normandy and the Loire Valley. Brittany itself is too far to even consider including it in an 8 day itinerary.

To me this is checklist tourism; saying you have been to a number of locations but actually seeing none of them. Obtain a copy of the Michelin Green Guide for Normandy and follow some of the suggested driving itineraries. YouŽll have a much better vacation.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:53 pm

If you like driving 1000 miles or trains, then perhaps this makes sense.

As others have said, I'd cut this in half. Things happen. Relaxing **is** part of a vacation.

We drove across France a few years ago. I'd plan half the distance/day if I had to do it again.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I agree with the other posters. This is way too much for one week. Focus on Paris + Normandy or Paris + Loire valley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.