Best breakfast in Paris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best breakfast in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Location: Washington, DC - usually on my way to ROB, TBS, or MNL (sometimes COO, WDH, MSU, or ULN too)
Programs: United Gold, Delta Platinum
Question Best breakfast in Paris?

I have a nearly 8 hour layover in CDG during which I'm considering leaving the airport and getting some breakfast. I probably will have 2 - 3 hours (from about 8 - 11) on a Saturday and would like to stay fairly close to the RER. Does anyone have suggestions for a great breakfast place to lounge about in for a while? Especially interested in one that might provide nice people-watching or a nice neighborhood to wander around in to kill any remaining time I might have after breakfast?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any of the 5* hotels serve a decent breakfast. they should at 50-70 or 75 or so . although you probably will not recognize them, the people that "pop" in and just have a coffee for the 50 or so are probably the ones that would give you the biggest thrill to have watched them, if you can figure out who they be.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Trocadero, there are a number of good restaurants around the square which offer a stunning view of Eiffel Towel.

If you want to hang out with beautiful people, go to L'Avenue or Cafe Mode on Avenue Montaigne/Rue Francois 1er.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I always enjoy Laduree, near the Place Madeleine. Great fin de siecle ambience, wonderful coffee and pastries, and possibly some beautiful people. You can pick up some macarons to munch on (but eat them that day), or to bring as a gift if you're going somewhere to visit someone. BTW, my vote from your other thread is absolutely to leave the airport and go into Paris- you're doing the right thing!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Around EUR 45-60 :

L'HOTEL DE CRILLON, for the superb pastries, palace atsmosphere and majestic dcor (best buffet in Paris).

L'HOTEL BRISTOL for the delicious pastries and quality of service.

The SHANGRI-LA hotel for the service and quality of tea.

LE MEURICE, for the gourmand options (waffles done in the minute, Jabugo ham, ...)

Around EUR 30:

The Caf MARLY for the view (from the outdoor terrace)

AU PAIN QUOTIDIEN Place du march Saint Honor for the bobo/trendy atmosphere (
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:32 pm

I'm going to suggest somethng a little different from the other top notch restaurants than have been mentioned. It's Chez Paul on the corner of rue de Seine and rue de Buci. It's not a fabulous luxury restaurant ( and, yes, its a chain) but it's not far from the RER B stop At St. Michel and does serve an American breakfast. It's on a pedestrian only street on one side and there's a lot of people watching if you get a window seat. Also, right at the St. Michel stop there are other plain old cafes where you can while away the time. Notre Dame is close by and this area provides tons of places for people watching all within a block or two or three of the RER B.

Keep in mind what I'm suggesting isn't of the luxury variety. It's of the nice Paris feel type area close to the RER.

Another restaurant that i like, of a higher quality, Is Laduree http://www.thefork.com/2_restaurant/...estaurant/457/ on the Champs lyses.

Bobette

Last edited by b1513; Dec 5, 2012 at 5:37 pm
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by b1513
I'm going to suggest somethng a little different from the other top notch restaurants than have been mentioned. It's Chez Paul on the corner of rue de Seine and rue de Buci. It's not a fabulous luxury restaurant ( and, yes, its a chain) but it's not far from the RER B stop At St. Michel and does serve an American breakfast. It's on a pedestrian only street on one side and there's a lot of people watching if you get a window seat.

Bobette
i may be a it confused, but i thought that be where my wife and i have our late breakfast of toast and foie gras with a pot of wine. for people watching, most people come to see us........
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:31 pm

Brings back memories

What a lovely thread - breakfast in Paris!

We stayed at Hotel Le Bristol about a year ago and never made it downstairs for breakfast but I have wonderful memories of our room service breakfasts:

http://polloplayer.wordpress.com/201...d-les-poulets/

If you go, say hello to Fa-Raon!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by b1513
I'm going to suggest somethng a little different from the other top notch restaurants than have been mentioned. It's Chez Paul on the corner of rue de Seine and rue de Buci. It's not a fabulous luxury restaurant ( and, yes, its a chain) but it's not far from the RER B stop At St. Michel and does serve an American breakfast. It's on a pedestrian only street on one side and there's a lot of people watching if you get a window seat. Also, right at the St. Michel stop there are other plain old cafes where you can while away the time. Notre Dame is close by and this area provides tons of places for people watching all within a block or two or three of the RER B.

Keep in mind what I'm suggesting isn't of the luxury variety. It's of the nice Paris feel type area close to the RER.

Another restaurant that i like, of a higher quality, Is Laduree http://www.thefork.com/2_restaurant/...estaurant/457/ on the Champs lyses.

Bobette
If Laduree, why not the one on rue Bonaparte and rue Jacob? That would stay near to the RER (right near the Paul you mention). However, I'm a) not a huge fan of Laduree and b) far prefer the Madeleine location.

I might suggest Dalloyau for breakfast. The tearoom above the Luxembourg Gardens one is very pleasant, and it is super-conveniently located right across from the RER B stop ("Luxembourg"). Also, the garden might be a nice place for a stroll, and the area around there, especially towards in 6th rather than 5th is very nice. I also far prefer the Dalloyau pastries to the Laduree ones, although I can't really speak for the hot food.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Depends what you're looking for. Personally, I'd rather go to a little bar or restaurant, which is more Parisien and will be happy to serve you something nice. (Won't have a big buffet though.) There are thousands of course.

I like a little place called Chez Flotte on Rue Cambon -- a couple of blocks from the recommended Crillon, where I often stay.

And convenient for a lovely walk in the Tuileries/along the river/to place de la Concorde and Champs Elysees.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Location: Washington, DC - usually on my way to ROB, TBS, or MNL (sometimes COO, WDH, MSU, or ULN too)
Thanks!!

Thanks for all these suggestions! I am really hoping not to be too tired to get out because I'm excited about all these options now

A Chez Paul just opened up in DC not that long ago, so I'll probably give that a miss, but I do love the Luxembourg Garden area, and then I could go for a walk too...Or Tuileries...so many choices!

Will report back. Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
La Cuisine in the Royal Monceau hotel (Raffles Paris, on Avenue Hoche) got a lot of press for their superb breakfast, with Pierre Herme's divine pastries. It should be only a short walk from the Air France bus stop at Etoile. Pricey but if that's the experience you're looking for, you could then walk off the calories strolling down the Champs Elysees.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
La Cuisine in the Royal Monceau hotel (Raffles Paris, on Avenue Hoche) got a lot of press for their superb breakfast, with Pierre Herme's divine pastries. It should be only a short walk from the Air France bus stop at Etoile. Pricey but if that's the experience you're looking for, you could then walk off the calories strolling down the Champs Elysees.
One other idea, polar opposite, but with Pierre Herme pastries. Go to his boutique in the 6th (rue bonaparte, opens at 10am) and buy whatever you want there (viennoiseries, macarons, "real" pastry). Then bring it to the nearby Cafe St Sulpice, where they will allow you to eat your PH pastries if you get a coffee (or anything else) there. Then, you're right around the Luxembourg gardens and in the very pleasant 6th arr, in a fairly Parisian cafe, with the best pastries in Paris. Of course, if you want hot breakfast, this is not the way to go. Also, this is fairly close to the Luxembourg Stop of the RER B, so super-convenient for getting to/from CDG.

I still would vote for Dalloyau, which I think would be perfect, especially considering it is right across from the RER B stop.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by aa4ever
One other idea, polar opposite, but with Pierre Herme pastries. Go to his boutique in the 6th (rue bonaparte, opens at 10am) and buy whatever you want there (viennoiseries, macarons, "real" pastry). Then bring it to the nearby Cafe St Sulpice, where they will allow you to eat your PH pastries if you get a coffee (or anything else) there. Then, you're right around the Luxembourg gardens and in the very pleasant 6th arr, in a fairly Parisian cafe, with the best pastries in Paris. Of course, if you want hot breakfast, this is not the way to go. Also, this is fairly close to the Luxembourg Stop of the RER B, so super-convenient for getting to/from CDG.

I still would vote for Dalloyau, which I think would be perfect, especially considering it is right across from the RER B stop.
Great idea!
I love Pierre Herm.

Another options would be in the immediate district:
- Grard Mulot, 76 rue de Seine: great brioches, croissants and bread. You may see Grard Depardieu buying his bread... before he goes to Belgium to evade taxation
- La Ptisserie des Rves by Philippe Conticini, 96 rue du Bac (elaborate pastries can be disppointing, but I love their basic ones, like financier, brioche feuillete, madeleines, kougloff, and my favourite: the kouign amann)
- Hugo & Victor, 40 bd Raspail: in a dcor of a jewelry shop, you will not resist to the temptation of delicious creations.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

I went with Dalloyau by the Luxembourg gardens. It was pretty great, but only opens at 9, so had to wander around for about an hour and a half waiting for them to open. The almond croissant was awesome! I suspect that when there are more people there, the ambiance is nicer.

Worked out so easily, I will definitely be doing this again next time. Ended up being exactly 45 minutes from the CDG RER stop to the Luxembourg stop, each way. Finished up breakfast just in time to head back to the airport. Completely painless. Next time, Pierre Herme and the other options will definitely be on the list!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.