Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue Status Recognition when flying Delta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, FB Gold
My experience as a lowly (KLM) silver flying DL the past two weeks was that my status wasn't recognized in any system by Delta. At check-in, showing my card got the luggage fee waved. And calling beforehand (after the first leg of the trip), got the phone agent to give me access to premium seating (i.e. an emergency row seat on one sector where it was available) on the return leg. My name certainly didn't make it onto the upgrade list (though don't know how I would have fared being only silver).

The benefits would be good if the system recognized the status, but consistently having to pursue them, basically waving a card most staff don't recognize in their face just gets annoying, and frankly I found it somewhat embarrassing having to play the "but I have status you just can't see it" card at every corner.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: DL/UA/AA
Flying AF with Delta Medallion Status

I have a similar problem. I am Skyteam Elite through Delta Medallion Silver. I will be flying on AF with a code shared ticket issued by Delta. AF is not recognizing my status on their system. With AF, I can only select the Seat Plus seats during online check in 30 hours before flight. The AF agent informed me that they can not assign Seat Plus seats to passengers. If AF system is not recognizing my Elite status, it would not allow me to access to Seat plus during check-in. Anyone experienced this problem and have suggestions to overcome this?

The other challenge will be to make sure the the counter agent will grant me an extra piece allowance for Elite status. I plan to print out the rules from AF website about the Elite benefits for extra baggage and bring it with me.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Dandel
The benefits would be good if the system recognized the status,
Originally Posted by KC from CA
I have a similar problem. I am Skyteam Elite through Delta Medallion Silver. I will be flying on AF with a code shared ticket issued by Delta. AF is not recognizing my status on their system. With AF, I can only select the Seat Plus seats during online check in 30 hours before flight. The AF agent informed me that they can not assign Seat Plus seats to passengers. If AF system is not recognizing my Elite status, it would not allow me to access to Seat plus during check-in. Anyone experienced this problem and have suggestions to overcome this?

The other challenge will be to make sure the the counter agent will grant me an extra piece allowance for Elite status. I plan to print out the rules from AF website about the Elite benefits for extra baggage and bring it with me.
One thought that applies to both of these posts: Did you have status at the time you booked the ticket? I'm flying AF today, and my BP only shows ST Elite since I was a DL FO when I booked the ticket. I'll have my GM card for lounge access, etc., so not really worried. It seems that partner systems capture status at time of booking and don't update it. One way around that is to call in and have them remove your FF# and then reinsert it, as this should trigger a fresh pull from your program's database.

To KC from CA, is your AF flight intra-Europe? AF doesn't allow seat selection until check-in and I don't think there's any restriction on preferred seating for elites; it's just a free-for-all. (I might be wrong on that, though, and I'm sure an FB elite will clarify if needed.) To get the baggage thing sorted, try calling to have the AF agent remove and reinsert your SkyMiles number. I would guess that the counter agent will handle things fine if you've got your medallion card with you.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Is it all on one ticket? If so, you won't see your bags in TLV.
Yes its all one ticket, why wont I see my bags in TLV?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
What's so hard for DL agents to get to know the 14 Skyteam members, identify ones FF card as one from a ST airline, and look into the upper right hand corner which will display "Skyteam Elite (Plus)"?
I saw KL ground agents at GVA with a nice laminated sheat of all the frequent flyers cards and the corresponding benefits. ^
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by amrom
Yes its all one ticket, why wont I see my bags in TLV?
Sorry that should have been FCO. If you're just making a connection there, your bag will be checked through all the way to TLV. Otherwise you'd have to clear passport control, go to baggage claim, go to an AZ check-in desk, then re-clear passport control to exit the Schengen zone and finally go through security again.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
What's so hard for DL agents to get to know the 14 Skyteam members, identify ones FF card as one from a ST airline, and look into the upper right hand corner which will display "Skyteam Elite (Plus)"?
I saw KL ground agents at GVA with a nice laminated sheat of all the frequent flyers cards and the corresponding benefits. ^
Apparently at least one DL agent thinks that Mesaba Aviation and Korean Air are the same.

Even the top tier elite lines tend to wind up with people being told that some SkyTeam member is no longer a partner I can understand thinking MH isn't a partner any more since they're slated to join OW, but they are still a partner and we can still redeem on them.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, FB Gold
One thought that applies to both of these posts: Did you have status at the time you booked the ticket? .....
Yes, I received silver status this winter and the tickets were booked in June.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Why only blame DL agents.. you should have experienced what I went through about 2 weeks ago at the KLM Crown lounge (Schengen). Was flying Czech airlines, BP issued on KLM stock, approached lounge dragon with FB Plat card [my travel companion had exactly same documents].

Dragon1 to dragon2: Is Czech airlines in the Skyteam alliance?
Dragon2: Hmm.. not sure, let's check the computer system.
[both dragons frantically type the computer]
Dragon2 to me: Sorry sir, I think Czech is not eligible for lounge entry.
Dragon1 to my TC: Sorry sir, your FB Plat card does not give you entry with Czech.
[Dragon2 still typing on the computer]. Eureka look on her face to Dragon1: Hey I think they are eligible IF they have the Czech Airlines Gold card.
Dragon1 to my TC: Do you have an Czech airline Gold card?

At this point, I was already fuming at the incompetence of both: I just butted in and showed them all 3 ST E+ cards I have and asked them to choose.. and at the same moment, Dragon2 found that Czech does belong to ST and FB Plat card was sufficient!

No apologies offered or anything..

What to call these 2 lounge dragon, I do not know.. after so many years, and yet still such knowledge and mind you both looked like experienced agents, not some young looking agent with those "Junior Agent" tags..

You decide!

Cheers!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
is your AF flight intra-Europe? AF doesn't allow seat selection until check-in and I don't think there's any restriction on preferred seating for elites; it's just a free-for-all. (I might be wrong on that, though, and I'm sure an FB elite will clarify if needed.) To get the baggage thing sorted, try calling to have the AF agent remove and reinsert your SkyMiles number. I would guess that the counter agent will handle things fine if you've got your medallion card with you.
Absolutely correct on intra-European flights, and in my best guess certainly correct about the assumption things will be fine at the counter. It's still not clear to me (or for that matter apparently to anyone) why a proportion of elite/elite + FFs from both programmes have status not showing on the other's system, but clearly this is not an infrequent occurrence sadly.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert
What to call these 2 lounge dragon, I do not know.. after so many years, and yet still such knowledge and mind you both looked like experienced agents, not some young looking agent with those "Junior Agent" tags..

You decide!

Cheers!
Sometimes I wonder if OK really is in SkyTeam. They discontinued codesharing with AF on CDG-PRG, they pulled out of the UK entirely (ST claims LHR is a hub), now they're codesharing with EY (AZ does that, too, so it's not a huge thing). Not that I expect anyone else wants OK, but they do seem like the forgotten/half-committed EU SkyTeam member. (Well, I know so little about RO that they might be even farther down the list...)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
ST claims LHR is a hub)
I never read anywhere that ST was calling LHR one of their hub
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
(Well, I know so little about RO that they might be even farther down the list...)
How so?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Sometimes I wonder if OK really is in SkyTeam. They discontinued codesharing with AF on CDG-PRG, they pulled out of the UK entirely (ST claims LHR is a hub), now they're codesharing with EY (AZ does that, too, so it's not a huge thing). Not that I expect anyone else wants OK, but they do seem like the forgotten/half-committed EU SkyTeam member. (Well, I know so little about RO that they might be even farther down the list...)
still codesharing with DL on various routes including CDG-PRG. Why would AF need codeshare on this route?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Well, SkyTeam itself is no more than a bunch of disorganised random airlines grouped together, so what you're describing is nothing unusual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.