Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Florida Keys

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:27 am

John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo is a great place. You can also take a glass-bottom boat ride out the the reef or snorkle the reef. The glass bottom boat was like $25. Park admission is like $4.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question staying one week in Florida Keys, Jan 2014

I am bumping an existing thread in preparation for a 1st visit to the Keys in January 2014. Lots of time to plan this one, and this thread will be indispensable.
Anyone with updates on the Westin or recommendations on time shares appreciated, thx. (PM me for private rentals).
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
We are planning a 5 day trip in late February on points/miles. With our ten year old daughter. We are not into bars as such, but enjoy poking around town and being in the warm weather.
I currently have reservations at the DoubleTree Grand Key and the Sheraton Suites. Any comments from folks who have stayed in both?
Also, I understand that Key West doesn't have much in the way of beaches- do nearby islands have better beaches?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
We are planning a 5 day trip in late February on points/miles. With our ten year old daughter. We are not into bars as such, but enjoy poking around town and being in the warm weather.
I currently have reservations at the DoubleTree Grand Key and the Sheraton Suites. Any comments from folks who have stayed in both?
Also, I understand that Key West doesn't have much in the way of beaches- do nearby islands have better beaches?
You can try Theater of the Sea. A 10 year old would love it (so do I).
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
In town, Zachary Taylor State Park has a nice beach. They rent beach chairs, and sell key lime pie popsicles.

If you can swing it, go out to Dry Tortugas. Fantastic beach, and the Yankee Freedom ferry is well organized. The trip was $167 per person last year.

I haven't been yet myself, but I've heard good things about Bahia Honda State Park.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Bahia Honda is a nice beach and parl. the iconic railroad bridge picture is taken from that beach .
But if funds Rent an issue I would vote for the dry tortugas trip or one of the sail boat snorkel trips instead.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Thanks, I will look into those suggestions. Not sure is we are up to the dry tortugas trip (though maybe?). We will have a rental car and will be able to get around, perhaps to nearby keys?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:55 pm

Thanks, I will look into those suggestions. Not sure is we are up to the dry tortugas trip (though maybe?). We will have a rental car and will be able to get around, perhaps to nearby keys?
You do not mention if you are flying in or driving down. Either way, if the weather is nice (can get cool in Feb. even in Florida) a stop or day trip to Bahia Honda (MM 37) is a good option (as others have mentioned).

http://bahiahondapark.com/
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
The Doubletree is near the airport,so you'll need a cab to get to old town (short drive). Smathers beach is within walking distance to the hotel, and it's pretty good. It does get a lot of tourists at times and there's very little wave or current there and seaweed can sometimes build up.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Upscale Resorts in the Keys

I have read this post and others, and checked w/ Tripadvisor. So far, most of the resorts I can find in KW (at least the top 20 on Tripadvisor) look rather tired and old, or are location-challenged. (I apologize in advance if I have misjudged this).

I am looking for recommendations for a 5-day itinerary, flying into MIA and renting a car in April to drive to the Keys. We like upscale resorts and don't mind spending 1-2 nights at 2 different places rather than all nights at 1 place. We want to see Key West, not sure if we should stay the night there or just go for a day trip from a resort elsewhere along the way.

We're used to places like the Grand Hyatt Kauai (GHK) or Mauna Lani, but have never been to FL. Budget is up to 500/night, and we need a place where we can have at least 2 queen beds (or a king + double + rollaway/sleeper).

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by weezl
I have read this post and others, and checked w/ Tripadvisor. So far, most of the resorts I can find in KW (at least the top 20 on Tripadvisor) look rather tired and old, or are location-challenged. (I apologize in advance if I have misjudged this).

I am looking for recommendations for a 5-day itinerary, flying into MIA and renting a car in April to drive to the Keys. We like upscale resorts and don't mind spending 1-2 nights at 2 different places rather than all nights at 1 place. We want to see Key West, not sure if we should stay the night there or just go for a day trip from a resort elsewhere along the way.

We're used to places like the Grand Hyatt Kauai (GHK) or Mauna Lani, but have never been to FL. Budget is up to 500/night, and we need a place where we can have at least 2 queen beds (or a king + double + rollaway/sleeper).

The best two most upscale resorts are Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada www.cheeca.com or Tranquility Bay resort in Marathon www.tranquilitybay.com. In addition to great accomodations, equally great food and beverage operations.

Worldspan
Naples, Fla

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Actually Cheeca is prolly the best. But figure over a grand per night for a beachside room in the main building. The bar is great, the food is a 7 at best. There is much better food in the keys. And an island view you can get by with for less than 500.

The Westin is good unless cruise ships are in town. If that's the case they will block the sunset on Mallory Square. Which in itself is a good spot to watch the sun go down, Or the street performers. I like the Cassa Marina there and the hyatt. Little palm island is over priced, but I liked the pier house. And that's a Toss between it and the Hyatt in KW. In the middle keys keep in mind Hawks Cay was not what it used to be.

Just my .02
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:32 pm

Aerodrome - could it be the Chiki Tiki in Marathon? Lots of license plates tacked up to the poles of the thatched roof there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.