Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Wife and I got AY platinum status today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wife and I got AY platinum status today

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 11:56 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Leo123
I just want to write a post to thank you all!

I didn`t know anything about frequent flyer points before I found this forum and it have been a fun ride after that.

Started from absolutely zero last summer and now 10 months later got AY platinum status today. And the funny thing is that every single flight in the past 10 months have beed holiday trips that I have found from flyertalk!

So I would say I totally got hooked up to this points game.

Wife have been with me in all of these flights so she got platinum also today. We are in our early 30`s but both of us look at least 5 years younger so it`s nice to see in our upcoming trips how FA`s react for young woman having emerald status. I have small enjoyments

This is a really nice community of people and it always amazes me how nicely all of you answer to the questions that pop-ups here often and don`t only say USE THE SEARCH!
Congrats on the Plat status! And thanks for the kinds words re: AY+ Forum. We're pretty mellow bunch...
Old May 3, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Congrats from me as well, and thank you for the kind words. I'm happy if I've been able to help, although I see myself as a rookie in the bunch
mentioned. Hope to meet some of you in person one day!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:52 am

Congrats! Impressive to hear that you've achieved platinum AY+!

Care to share the most important tips/links to read in order to get to that level? I'm a AY+ Gold / OWS level but have 4 months to get to the next level...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Welcome manywhere at our small corner at FT!

How many tier points do you currently have?

With AY there are just to ways of achiving status - flying (obviously) and the less known exchanging reward points to tier points.

Here we basically try to optimize - time and/or cost wise getting there + some friendly chat more or (often) less related to AY

There is a ton of information already on this forum, but if you have specific questions, just shoot!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
How many tier points do you currently have?

With AY there are just to ways of achiving status - flying (obviously) and the less known exchanging reward points to tier points.
Thanks for the welcome, WilcoRoger! ^
I have in the past and now achieved AY+ Gold through qualifying flights not by tier points. Currently close to maintaining the Gold status: only 10 flights to go and those are all booked. But tier point wise only on 25000 atm.

Is there a wiki/post where I should start studying on my alternatives to get Plat? I tried searching but by Google-fu is not so strong.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
No wiki as such, just bits and pieces.

You don't seem to be in luck. The rules say one can exchange reward points to tier points at the rate of 3:1, for up to 50% of the tier points needed for any given tier. Going for Plat means you could get 75k points by this exchange scheme. That would take you to only 100k or so.

Unfortunately there is no such shortcut for you guys qualifying on legs (flights) - it 92 flights, period.

Here's an educative thread on the subject of Plat by legs, but it's not for the faint of heart

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...ng-2017-a.html

PS - depending on your company's travel policy, you might be able to earn multiple points compared to current earnings, by buying Value (or even Pro) tickets and still remaining within the "economy only" policy. If the policiy is "strictly cheapest, always" then this is also out.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Unfortunately there is no such shortcut for you guys qualifying on legs (flights) - it 92 flights, period.
Though it's actually 76 flights these days. It changed last summer.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AY LUMO

Here's an educative thread on the subject of Plat by legs, but it's not for the faint of heart

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...ng-2017-a.html
And I can tell the last (76th) seems to be the hardest to catch.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
And I can tell the last (76th) seems to be the hardest to catch.
I also felt the segment running quite tough this year so I made it by points this year with only 61 legs
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Yehey!!

Dont mean to hijack this thread but finally made AY+ Plat today too!

My first year as a OW member and super excited to try what OWE has to offer. Cant wait!
Attached Images  
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Congratulations, supatight80!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by remymartin
Congratulations, supatight80!
Thank you thank you!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Nice circle! Congrats.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I will follow the thanks in this thread as it was this forum what brought me from Gold ambitions all the way to a safe Platinum achievement. ARN has become my favorite departure point and OH-LGG's run my big inspiration. As a result, I didn't need to worry anymore about tightly reaching 46 flights for Gold, but could secure more than 76 to reach the peak more than 2 months before the tracking period ends. Now it seems I'll finish at around 90 flights.
The question for the next year is whether to run for 76 segments again, or make some plan of how to get 150k points. If only I could transfer those flights over 76 to the next period... Anyways, I'm sure there will be some solution.

Thank you all who participate here!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by on22cz
I will follow the thanks in this thread as it was this forum what brought me from Gold ambitions all the way to a safe Platinum achievement. ARN has become my favorite departure point and OH-LGG's run my big inspiration. As a result, I didn't need to worry anymore about tightly reaching 46 flights for Gold, but could secure more than 76 to reach the peak more than 2 months before the tracking period ends. Now it seems I'll finish at around 90 flights.
The question for the next year is whether to run for 76 segments again, or make some plan of how to get 150k points. If only I could transfer those flights over 76 to the next period... Anyways, I'm sure there will be some solution.

Thank you all who participate here!
I will do it with points + points exchange if possible +160 segments is enough for me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.