LGG's Platinum hunting 2017

Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO
LGG's Platinum hunting 2017

This is a story of getting Finnair Platinum by flying segments. Trip of 76 legs started on 08OCT 2016 and estimated arrival time is in Spring 2017.

Random pictures are here:
https://www.instagram.com/explore/ta...tinumhunt2017/

I'll tag all trips as #AYplatinumhunt2017
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

#1 HEL-PRG. AY715. A319 OH-LVC. Almost full load to PRG in Y. Seat blocking worked well for me on row 4. Magazines and free drink offered.

#2 PRG-HEL AY716. A319 OH-LVC. Again almost full load in Y to HEL. Middle seat blocked again now on row 5. I had 5A. Arrived in HEL about 15 min before schedule. Magazines and free drink offered.

#3 HEL-BUD AY755. A321 OH-LZD. Flight delayed 30 min due to AY56 coming late from CKG. Apprx 10-15 pax connecting from CKG. 321 Y almost full. Magazine + drinks offered.

Positioning flight BUD-HEL not counted as a segment due to award ticket. 30 min before departure from BUD my AY app tells me that my favourite seat 9A on 321 is gone and I'll have to move to C seat 1F. So Saturday evening fun in C to poor Y budget traveller: good meal and Bombay Shappire GT. ^

This new season's start was nice.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:09 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Go go go!
Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Positioning flight BUD-HEL not counted as a segment due to award ticket.
I also positioned to BUD last Tuesday but it was added on my August WAW-HEL oneway, saving 500+ in the process. WAW-HEL oneway would have been 700++, but WAW-HEL-BUD was 220 - works for me. +10k points for seat 1A to BUD.

Back to HEL was already the first leg of my trip to NGO.

Interestingly AY also sells cheap oneways and openjaws via HEL. As an example, my daytrip to WAW was constructed as an openjaw HEL-WAW//CPH-HEL* and the above mentioned WAW-HEL-BUD. Opens up lots of opportunities.

* the CPH-HEL leg priced out at as "promo fare 50"(!) - but only as part of the oj.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I also positioned to BUD last Tuesday but it was added on my August WAW-HEL oneway, saving 500+ in the process. WAW-HEL oneway would have been 700++, but WAW-HEL-BUD was 220 - works for me. +10k points for seat 1A to BUD.

Back to HEL was already the first leg of my trip to NGO.

Interestingly AY also sells cheap oneways and openjaws via HEL. As an example, my daytrip to WAW was constructed as an openjaw HEL-WAW//CPH-HEL* and the above mentioned WAW-HEL-BUD. Opens up lots of opportunities.

* the CPH-HEL leg priced out at as "promo fare 50"(!) - but only as part of the oj.
I have noted this increasing trend too and if your schedules allow, I would advise to look into "interesting" combos. To my surprise I saw a few weeks ago that adding a domestic leg HEL-XXX into my ticket return produced a good decrease in total ticket price, something I have never seen happen! I ended up flying that unnecessary segment too as it was not much further from my destination, while I wanted to avoid hiddencity ticketing and problems arising from it
Old Oct 10, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
This will be excellent, keep it coming!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

And today I had this seasons first ARN flights.

I left home at 19:27 and I was in Finnair's Lounge 19:38 so Helsinki Airport today was really smooth and not zoo at all. In Lounge only salad and soup offered and this salad was tuna salad !! USH perkele! I hate tuna and all seafood.

#4 HEL-ARN. AY649. A319 OH-LVA. This aircraft arrived from OSL on time so boarding and departure to ARN were on time too. About 75% full in Y and C had 4 pax. Magazines offered but not for me. 4 other Plats on board. Seat block worked well.

#5 ARN-HEL AY650. A319 OH-LVA. Turnaround in ARN was quite short and we left gate 7 minutes before scheduled time. Now magazines offered. About 70% full, in C one pax. Seat block OK.

Upcoming: #6 + #7 are ARN also and app tells me it's next Monday.

#AYPlatinumhunt2017 for pictures and additional stories.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any comments from the crew on the turnaround return? Sometimes I get a comment, sometimes not.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Any comments from the crew on the turnaround return? Sometimes I get a comment, sometimes not.
Yes. Usually it's "what", "why".

Last time I went to BUD, crew asked me if I went sign some papers there.
Once in Singapore crew asked if I had problems with Immigration.
manywhere likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Haven't heard the immigration question, but that is a quite logical one. Smart FA on that plane!

I have had the "Welcome back!", the less polished "Oh, you are back?!" and the witty "I will try not to forget your coat this time!" (I had to the remind staff about my jacket on deplaning) but I guess it is easier to remember a face and say something witty/smart when pax in 1A returns.

As for the "signing paper" question, how about we all start responding "Yeah, I'm legally divorced now! How about we celebrate that tonight?"
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Yes. Usually it's "what", "why".
They should learn to never ask that question to our great LGG! I can still remember the puzzled face on that Indian airport agent when LGG in great detail discribed his hobby.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
In the glorious (pre-9/11) nineties, AirFrance ran advertisement saying literaly that in the future, people would take a plane to buy their morning croissant.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition

As for the "signing paper" question, how about we all start responding "Yeah, I'm legally divorced now! How about we celebrate that tonight?"
Hah, that was a good one. @:-)
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Courmisch
In the glorious (pre-9/11) nineties, AirFrance ran advertisement saying literaly that in the future, people would take a plane to buy their morning croissant.
That's what we are doing, no?

At least these turn-around BUD flights for me are exactly that - first out of the plane, grab the weekly papers, grab the Hungarian sausage/wine/etc from the tax free, grab the patisserie from the Szamos shop and head back to the plane. (Rarely enough time to go landside to the local Spar shop for delicacies with turnaround - AY has a tendency to leave early if they arrive early)

Sometimes I take the evening flight back, that's 8 hrs from plane door to plane door, so enough time to go downtown, eat a proper lunch, running errands, do the shopping and head back. All for the glorious amount of 3, the cost of a 24h ticket.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Glory days of MD-11 I did swimming trips from BKK to SIN.
Swimming trunks in a plastic bag, Cheap C-ticket and great MD-11 ride to Changi. After landing to outside pool above gates, cold Tiger and then SPLASH!

After few Tigers and relaxation, dinner in lounge, back to MD-11 and back to BKK. Oh, I miss those (Don Muang) days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.