Search

Burning miles (GVA-HEL-JFK) in J?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:01 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Burning miles (GVA-HEL-JFK) in J?

I have some miles I need to burn before they expire this coming Feb (2017) and want to use them for a GVA-HEL-JFK in J.

When I search flights from GVA via HEL to JFK nothing comes up with AY but rather BA/AA via LHR so questions:

1) Why do I not get the option via HEL with AY? For some other destinations, flights it will show up with +20 hours layovers...
2) Miles needed will not be 198'000 return in J unless it's with AY I gather?

Any pointers highly appreciated indeed.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
1 - Can you see AY avilability when searching leg by leg? (or searching GVA-HEL and HEL-JFK separately). Sadly, there might be things preventing availabiilty on the whished connection. If you see on the separate sections, you can call and ask. You might need to book it via operator, ie without online discount

2 - 198k ONLY applies online bookings with AY flights all the way.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Flights between GVA and HEL are often either crowded or expensive, so the award seats may not be available. I've usually got an award seat even without availability in the booking engine by calling AY customer service, and combining Y award with voucher/points upgrade to J.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You may get it for better (less) mileage if you manage to get a oneworld reward - you need 3 different airlines, but that's easy for you. AY + BA + AA
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:59 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks all for your replies...

Yes, GVA-HEL is quite hard but I have been able to get upgrades through miles (only if they are expiring and we need to burn them) or through vouchers so it's doable so surprised nothing comes up when I even search for Rev tickets...

ZRH is usually no problem.

@WilcoRoger say what now? OW reward? I have never spent miles on AY+ so I'm a bit of a n00bie here...

PS. GVA-HEL is operated by 170/190's (2-2 seating anyway in both J and Y) so try and avoid these if in paid J and the curtain is often not pulled either...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:00 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by intuition

2 - 198k ONLY applies online bookings with AY flights all the way.
Cool... Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:48 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
OW awards are purely mileage/distance based awards and can have multiple sectors within the total allowed mileage. Required mileage depends on 1. Class of service 2. Total flown distance (all sectors in total, including connecting flights).

You also need to use 2 OW carriers, not including AY in this case and if also AY then min. 3 diff. carriers in total.

Search "oneworld award" either of FT or google and you will find tons of info.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You may get it for better (less) mileage if you manage to get a oneworld reward - you need 3 different airlines, but that's easy for you. AY + BA + AA
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
OW awards are purely mileage/distance based awards and can have multiple sectors within the total allowed mileage. Required mileage depends on 1. Class of service 2. Total flown distance (all sectors in total, including connecting flights).

You also need to use 2 OW carriers, not including AY in this case and if also AY then min. 3 diff. carriers in total.
Before getting too excited about this kind of pure oneworld award, it is good to note the specific rules for AY oneworld awards:
You may travel within a continent. Backtracking limitations exist: you must travel from continent to continent in a continuous westward or eastward direction, crossing the Atlantic and Pacific oceans once only.
I.e. with OW award it is possible to travel eg. GVA-HEL-JFK-HKG-ZRH, but not eg. GVA-HEL-JFK-LHR-GVA. Of course the previous one would be a lot more interesting option.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by esledo
Before getting too excited about this kind of pure oneworld award, it is good to note the specific rules for AY oneworld awards:

I.e. with OW award it is possible to travel eg. GVA-HEL-JFK-HKG-ZRH, but not eg. GVA-HEL-JFK-LHR-GVA. Of course the previous one would be a lot more interesting option.
Are you saying that OW awards can only be used for round the world tickets nowadays???? There must a mistake here, I do not believe that just yet...a simple return trips are also possible, I stand behind that until officially confirmed.

How can you do a RTW trip with let's say 12-15.000km ticket, even the longer ones and you'd struggle? If that would be true to whole table would be useless for those shorter trips.

The point of the rule must be copied from xONEx tickets and it means you cannot crisscross the oceans (when you are actually doing RTW trip with your points...) but when you plan to cross only one big water you can certainly come back home, too.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Jul 20, 2016 at 5:09 am
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: LH SEN
Rules do not explicitly say that OW awards are only for RTW bookings but "you must travel from continent to continent in a continuous westward or eastward direction". So you can use OW award for shorter distances with two or more OW carriers (excl. AY) but if you travel from a continent to another the journey must be in one direction only.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:01 am

Rules do not explicitly say that OW awards are only for RTW bookings but "you must travel from continent to continent in a continuous westward or eastward direction". So you can use OW award for shorter distances with two or more OW carriers (excl. AY) but if you travel from a continent to another the journey must be in one direction only.
I don't want to argue this any further as you clearly know what you're talking about, I hope it's not only based on what you read from finnair.com...

Anyway, I have used many OW awards, both RTW and non-RTW in the past so this is a new "enhancement" then.

Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Cupart
Thanks all for your replies...

PS. GVA-HEL is operated by 170/190's (2-2 seating anyway in both J and Y) so try and avoid these if in paid J and the curtain is often not pulled either...
AY's 170's are gone.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:09 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
What? I booked a few weeks ago OW award to Tokyo and back. HEL-FUK-HND (HEL-FUK on AY, FUK-HND on JL) and HND-LHR-HEL (HND-LHR on BA and then LHR-HEL on AY).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by SPBanker
What? I booked a few weeks ago OW award to Tokyo and back. HEL-FUK-HND (HEL-FUK on AY, FUK-HND on JL) and HND-LHR-HEL (HND-LHR on BA and then LHR-HEL on AY).
Hmm...very interesting. Mind you share some data?
-was it cheaper than AY 200k pts award? (assuming you fly J of course)
-did you book online or had to call?
-how was availability?
Huge thanks if you mind. My plan is to book next Sakura time a J trip, a paid business for myself (to get status pts) and award for my spouse...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:53 pm

Thanks, SPBanker, for a moment I thought I had lost it as esledo was so sure about...I have learned over the years never to trust AY web on almost anything OW related, they just don't know, or very few do...only few agents even deal with these bit more complex things..

FFlash, always over the phone...for more complex itianaries they often take details and call you back by someone experienced/supervisor. With RTW it happens always.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.