Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

How strict are Finnair on bag sizes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold

I see that Finnair's baggage policy is that LxWxH must not exceed 158cm.

My bike, in a box, measures about 130*70*30 = 230cm in total (and weighs about 12kg).

It doesn't look ridiculously oversize. Are Finnair really hot on collecting bag fees for large luggage, or am I likely to slip through?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OWE
I think you can't avoid paying the bike surcharge which is 75€.

Read more here: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/inform...pment/bicycles
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Your profile says BA silver, which is sapphire IIRC?
Im asking, because sometimes Finnair allows the perks of their own program to replicate onto every tier member in the world. And a Finnair gold members gets a special baggage free of charge, chances are they will treat you as if you were Finnair gold and let you bring the bike.
N.B I have no personal experience of this.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Yes, so I get to take two bags instead of one.

BA lets you take a bike as the second bag (even if it is over-size) but as finhub says, Finnair's policy is different - all items apart from skis must meet the size requirement - and technically I should be charged.

Often airlines are a bit more lenient in practice provided one isn't taking the piss but I suppose I shouldn't rely on that!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
Your profile says BA silver, which is sapphire IIRC?
Im asking, because sometimes Finnair allows the perks of their own program to replicate onto every tier member in the world. And a Finnair gold members gets a special baggage free of charge, chances are they will treat you as if you were Finnair gold and let you bring the bike.
N.B I have no personal experience of this.
As far as it is written on their site that special baggage may be a golf bag, ski bag or diving equipment. For each of them you would not need to pay extra if you have enough "standard" baggage allowance. They mention that e.g. For Bikes and surfboards an additional fee is collected.

As far as I read this, also AY+ Gold would have to pay for a bike.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, I would interpret the same thing from reading.

Maybe it isn't the "special bag perk", but as a plat I've never been charged for large or heavy bag, ie >158cm or >23kg.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:18 am

In my experience, bike bag is counted as sporting equipment and occurs no extra charge.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
It is years back but I once checked an oversize bike package from China and did not have to pay. That is not a guarantee of rules changing though
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Finnair plat
I didn't know this...
http://www.finnair.com/au/gb/informa...hecked-baggage

LARGE AND HEAVY BAGGAGE

A heavy bag charge applies to baggage with the maximum weight of 32 kg (70 lb) and/or maximum dimensions of 190 cm x 75 cm x 65 cm (75 in x 29.5 in x 25.5 in). The heavy bag charge is not collected from Business Class passengers or Finnair Plus Platinum or oneworld Emerald members.

Some special items, for example wheelchairs, some sports equipment and large musical instruments, exceeding the maximum measures may be accepted with a prior approval from the airline. Please contact Finnair.

All other baggage exceeding the maximum measures can only be transported as cargo.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Finnair

A lot of staff at Finnair doesn't know it either.

But like I said, no check-in staff as ever questioned my bags.
The lovely lady at HKG smiled without so much as twicthing a muscle when I checked in a complete household in less than professionally looking cardbordboxes and plastic bags.
The twitchless experience is even more remarkable knowing there was a lot of dried/stinking fish in that household.

(YMMV, that web page should be printed and kept among your essential travel documents)
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Finnair plat
And if you have an upgrade for the first leg (cph-hel) to hkg you can also have more than 23 kg.
Even though your flight from hel to hkg is on enconomy!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by goldnext
And if you have an upgrade for the first leg (cph-hel) to hkg you can also have more than 23 kg.
Even though your flight from hel to hkg is on enconomy!
Even though the TS didn't mention HKG but from my understanding shouldn't in that example the leg HEL - HKG be upgraded to get the luggage benefit for CPH - HKG for sure?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

I can't recall being in this situation, but I am guessing this is a case of "letting it slide"? First BP says 'J luggage allowance' and so check-in allows that and checks bags through to final destination.
I am (still) guessing, but if you were to have a lay-over in HEL on that ticket, you wouldn't be able to check bag back in at HEL.

I have been on tickets the other way around (Longhaul being upgraded and shorthaul in Y) and then the J allowance is for whole tripe due to "most significant flight" governing allowance.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:14 am
Original Poster

My allowance was for two bags (BA Silver) and I ended up packing the frame in one box (8kg total including box and packing materials) and the wheels in a second box (4kg total).

Although the frame box was slightly too big they let this through without charge - I think partly because of the low weight.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I searched and found multiple threads, so this can be reoccuring topic, but I chose to shoot here.

Many of my recent flights have been 97-100% load factor. Good for AY, they must show profits if not now, then when ever, but that is not my post about. The consequence is -> cabin bags again.

Really rude, mule, ape-level behaviour of fellow pax. I hate to be on-time (instead of lounge or arriving last-minute) for preboarding just to get my bag in overhead bin since mostly I sit on exit-row.
Then comes the hoard of mules (real story from my latest flight):
Mule 1: I have an OK bag and it fits nicelly, but I have a coat too and I lay it in the overhead bin wide open blocking neatly the way of other bags.
Mule 2: I have two bags as allowed, but the "purse" is a normal carry-on size and the "normal carry-on" is an oversized bag. Both goes nicely to overhead, leaving easy legspace for my tired legs.
Mule 3: I have a bag OK, but I have 4 Johnnys Walking with me to overhead bin.
Mule 4: I come in late amongst group D and space is getting few. I have a seat in row 28 but I see space at row 9 overhead so I stump my bag quickly there, perfect spot. No way I am gonna put it under my seat.
Mule 5: I am a daily business commuter and therefore I have only small laptop bag with me for my daytrip. I board late and just few place in overhead. I have a seat 5 A but all bag place is taken. I see there is still room in row 9, I ram over all other pax and stow my bag neatly there and advice firmly fellow pax NOT to touch my bag as there is an expensive laptop inside. DON'T MOVE IT a centimeter! Then after landing I am in hurry and I jump up first and roam again over fellow pax to pick up the bag before disembarking starts.
Not-mule 6: I am an old mama who is flying first time in life, and I board after everyone else and don't know where I am. I should put my bag somewhere but all place is taken. I humbly ask cabin FA where can I put my bag - "you need to put it underneath your seat"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.