Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Wife and I got AY platinum status today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

I just want to write a post to thank you all!

I didn`t know anything about frequent flyer points before I found this forum and it have been a fun ride after that.

Started from absolutely zero last summer and now 10 months later got AY platinum status today. And the funny thing is that every single flight in the past 10 months have beed holiday trips that I have found from flyertalk!

So I would say I totally got hooked up to this points game.

Wife have been with me in all of these flights so she got platinum also today. We are in our early 30`s but both of us look at least 5 years younger so it`s nice to see in our upcoming trips how FA`s react for young woman having emerald status. I have small enjoyments

This is a really nice community of people and it always amazes me how nicely all of you answer to the questions that pop-ups here often and don`t only say USE THE SEARCH!

I go through this forum daily and it is really nice to read your conversations so thanks for keeping this forum fresh and entertaining (intuition, oh-lgg, wkndtraveler, helsinki flyer, no_windowseat, miamiflyer8, ffay005, spbanker, fflash, niksal, steve_hun etc just naming some that I remember)

So for all of you to taking time to help others in here, THANK YOU!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Ohoh, two more young souls we've corrupted...

Anyway, welcome to platinumhood! And having the wife onboard (!) makes it so much easier!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Congratulations both of You!

I hope Leo123 and wife can join our next Helsinki meeting.

My wife says I 'm an idiot but Leo has wife chasing Platinum with him ^
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:02 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Congratulations, Leo123, and thank you for your kind words. I have also found this community a great one and I have same situation than you: both my partner and myself have platinum since we travel together and just for fun.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Leo123, thanks for your post and for mentioning me. Starting to blush here...

When I joined FT, my main program was LX, then a partner of AY. Thanks to FT, I switched to AA and learned to maximize my miles and actually managed to get 20k miles without flying at all, just answering E-rewards questionnaires etc. So FT basically got me a free flight in Europe. I don't remember where that flight took me, though, but I do remember sitting on the plane thinking FT is kinda nice

And FT saved me $1500 when I went to Australia a year ago + I got to visit Warsaw, a city I probably would never go to otherwise...

My being Platinum now is probably at least partially thanks to FT, too. It might be a one-time thing only, I had a record number of longhauls during my last tracking period. But you do get hooked – a couple of years ago I would never have imagined I'd fly to India just because it would get me status. But now, it doesn't seem at all impossible anymore... Let's see if January 2018 means DEL weekends for this guy.

Happy landings, you two Platinums! Enjoy those newspapers and free drinks, and especially enjoy those before/after moments, when you see a complete change in an FA's behaviour just because she did take a look at the "lappu" and realised that you're Plats!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
My wife says I 'm an idiot but Leo has wife chasing Platinum with him ^
OH-LGG, your wife is right. We're all idiots But I think she would be quick to redefine the word 'idiot' on the day that you stop doing MRs and fall to Silver or Basic... ^^
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
OH-LGG, your wife is right. We're all idiots But I think she would be quick to redefine the word 'idiot' on the day that you stop doing MRs and fall to Silver or Basic... ^^
Now She has learnt if I tell Her I'll go India or Sweden tonight, that she won't ask why. She knows black card is magic sometimes.

But still I'm an idiot but I love Her.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
My wife says I 'm an idiot ...
- Honey, that's why I married you!!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Leo123

I didn`t know anything about frequent flyer points before I found this forum and it have been a fun ride after that.

Started from absolutely zero last summer and now 10 months later got AY platinum status today. And the funny thing is that every single flight in the past 10 months have beed holiday trips that I have found from flyertalk!

Welcome to the Platinum club Leo123! I got to this level also mainly thanks to this forum, so I really know how you feel
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Leo123

So I would say I totally got hooked up to this points game.

Wife have been with me in all of these flights so she got platinum also today. We are in our early 30`s but both of us look at least 5 years younger so it`s nice to see in our upcoming trips how FA`s react for young woman having emerald status. I have small enjoyments

This is a really nice community of people and it always amazes me how nicely all of you answer to the questions that pop-ups here often and don`t only say USE THE SEARCH!

I go through this forum daily and it is really nice to read your conversations so thanks for keeping this forum fresh and entertaining (intuition, oh-lgg, wkndtraveler, helsinki flyer, no_windowseat, miamiflyer8, ffay005, spbanker, fflash, niksal, steve_hun etc just naming some that I remember)

I saw a family of 6 a few weeks back who were ALL OWE's which I thought impressive 😁 My family is only OWS (well besides my two OWE cards) but those are matched and gifted OWS cards so the easy way of course the family could have doubd a OWE match i havent yet

But the flight attendants sure found it confusing with the free drink/paper situation and all of them had cards they tried to its only for one so young OWEs are put there 👍👍

Congrats on finding the best way to play the game AND stay happily married
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by kauppias
I saw a family of 6 a few weeks back who were ALL OWE's ...
On what program? ('cause AY does not award status to travellers under 18 yo)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:58 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
They might have been BA OWE. My son has just turned 4 and has BA gold (OWE). We tend to fly the minimum 4 annual flights on BA and then use the much better services of CX and QR for long haul plus AY for Northern Europe, where OWE is actually valued. BA OWE is very easy to get if you fly a few QR flights in J
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I wrote that original post to höpöhöpö -thread and don`t know how it ended up to own thread, but good thing is that the people I thanked in the post get`s the thanks they deserve! (and sorry WilcoRoger and kauppias for forgetting you but I really like your contributions to this forum!)^

Last edited by Leo123; Apr 30, 2017 at 3:22 pm Reason: forgetting to name some of the most entertaining people in this forum
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by intuition
On what program? ('cause AY does not award status to travellers under 18 yo)
Theres a whole world out there other then AY

Just saying

I beleive baEC in this case atleast the card I saw was ba Gold (could be GGL too for that matter I did not bother looking that close just found it amusing.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:13 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Thank You for your kind words, Leo123, and welcome to the club! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.