Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair to introduce Y+ ("comfort")

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
One question; (as an OWS) am I able to choose Y+ seats for my whole family for free as long as they all are on the same reservation? What happens if I upgrade myself to J? Will my family still be able to sit in Y+ for free?

Namaste in advance!
You have to request the Y+ seat before Jul 1st as the program is enhanced and the perk is taken away from AY+ Gold / OWS. IIRC there was a report on FT that someone upgraded to business and the travel companion on Y comfort was required to pay for the comfort seat due to this. I just have no experience of it myself.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
One question; (as an OWS) am I able to choose Y+ seats for my whole family for free as long as they all are on the same reservation? What happens if I upgrade myself to J? Will my family still be able to sit in Y+ for free?

Namaste in advance!
Just upgrade another family member into J and that way your safe you can allways switch seats onboard just inform crew
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
Just upgrade another family member into J and that way your safe you can allways switch seats onboard just inform crew
Good one!

I booked the tickets and I was able to choose the Y+ seats already at the reservation phase, this went very smoothly. Kudos AY!

But then I noticed the Y+ perk removal... not very happy about this, but it's decent that AY honors existing reservations, right? Are Golds still able to choose seats in advance for free, just not Y+?

P.S HEL-JFK for 400 €, I'd say fairly decent price.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
So practically, Gold is becoming the new Silver and Silver is becoming a sort of Basic plus...
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by ffay005
So practically, Gold is becoming the new Silver and Silver is becoming a sort of Basic plus...
Just a few more "enhancements" and that is going to be true...
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ffay005
This was pretty fast my conclusion when I was reading all those changes and introduction of Platinum VIP.
It is easy to see:

"Due to market development and external conditions we have been forced to review our loyalty program and improve it to the level of industry standards of global airlines, and we have now introduced a simplified tier level system which better responds to customer needs and is easier to understand"
current Plat VIP -> new Plat
current Plat -> new Gold
current Gold -> new Silver
current Silver -> removed
Basic -> "You know your place"
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:03 pm

I can't seem to find anything online about changes coming July 1st (except for Tier Qualifications) - but if I'm reading this page correctly, Finnair are removing free selection of Economy Comfort for Sapphire/Emerald?

EDIT- Find more in discussion in another thread that AY Gold won't have access to free Economy Comfort. Do we know if this includes other Oneworld Sapphire? So bizarre that there's no info at all about this besides this forum - considering it's changing on Friday. :/

Last edited by lycidas; Jun 28, 2016 at 11:16 pm
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lycidas
EDIT- Find more in discussion in another thread that AY Gold won't have access to free Economy Comfort. Do we know if this includes other Oneworld Sapphire? So bizarre that there's no info at all about this besides this forum - considering it's changing on Friday. :/
Yes, no more complimentary Economy Comfort for Sapphires. For Emeralds, yes.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If anyone has any views on what seat to avoid or go for in comfort section of A350 then you can just send it to me and I'll (eventually) add it to the graph.
Currently there is only one A350 config but still good to know seat pro/con for it.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
My first LH in a looooooooong time onbord AY coming up I will be in comfort thanks to AA EXP but which seat to choose. Are the middle seats in row 21 with alot of leg space or really cramped? Not sure I want to spend my upgrade on a BKK run so i will most likely just ruff it in comfort but I would love some legroom

Any advice
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
My first LH in a looooooooong time onbord AY coming up I will be in comfort thanks to AA EXP but which seat to choose. Are the middle seats in row 21 with alot of leg space or really cramped? Not sure I want to spend my upgrade on a BKK run so i will most likely just ruff it in comfort but I would love some legroom

Any advice
As you say to Bangkok, I'll assume A350. I'd prefer 24A or 25A since it is more likely that next seat is free. Row 22 middle seats are more often taken. Also A seat is better as sun is shining from starboard side. If you prefer aisle, I'd take 24D or 25D.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:46 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Here is one data point:

My personal notes and preference for AY A350 Y seating preference is
  1. Any Y+ aisle (except first Y+ row 21 or 22C/J)
  2. Exit row 42 A/L seats that have no seat in front
  3. Any Y- aisle seat except bulkheads
  4. Avoid Y+ first row (row 21)
I personally happen to strongly dislike bulkhead seats unless there is huge amount of leg space, because the bulkhead looks big but there is not so much actual lengthwise space for my legs often.

I have found the AY A350 Y+ seats in general pretty good, so any row (except the bulkhead) is OK. In normal seats you have all of the underside of the seat in front for yourself, if the pitch allows keeping legs straight, as it does in AY Y+ (for me, 182cm).

The 22C/J with no seat in front looked cramped to me, as the free space in front seemed to be used by people moving in the aisle so it is not all your own.

Last edited by haa; Sep 27, 2016 at 6:48 am Reason: clarified 22CJ comment
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by reflektia
As you say to Bangkok, I'll assume A350. I'd prefer 24A or 25A since it is more likely that next seat is free. Row 22 middle seats are more often taken. Also A seat is better as sun is shining from starboard side. If you prefer aisle, I'd take 24D or 25D.
👍👍

Going over on the A350 coming back on the 333 i was very confused as the seat map made no sense for the a350 even though it stated it was the a350 the gold line kindly let me know that it is infact the 333
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by haa
The 22C/J with no seat in front looked cramped to me, as the free space in front seemed to be used by people moving in the aisle so it is not all your own.
It is "shared" space during boarding/taxfree/meal service. However, as toilets are located near row 41 there is very little or no traffic during other time. FAs moving to/from business section are typically quite adept at avoiding collisions.

Still, I would not select it unless you are very tall (195cm+).
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
[QUOTE=haa;27269632]Here is one data point:

My personal notes and preference for AY A350 Y seating preference is
  1. Any Y+ aisle (except first Y+ row 21 or 22C/J)
  2. Exit row 42 A/L seats that have no seat in front
  3. Any Y- aisle seat except bulkheads
  4. Avoid Y+ first row (row 21)

With limited experience of two times 21A I would not say that is a bad seat. Perhaps due to my limited size (175cm).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.