Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

No upgrade available for AY+ points - a first

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No upgrade available for AY+ points - a first

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:37 am

I'm waitlisted for two voucher upgrades on AY82 on 06JAN (currently holding 21 J/L).
Anyone with access to a tool for displaying cabin availability willing to share that information here?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I try to find upgrades for flights to BKK - a few days ago I could find plenty of them - now they are zeroed out (any given day in March, April 2015).

Is this an error - or changes in the program?

OK they are back again - system error?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by FlugE
I'm waitlisted for two voucher upgrades on AY82 on 06JAN (currently holding 21 J/L).
Anyone with access to a tool for displaying cabin availability willing to share that information here?
Looks pretty bad for being able to get a voucher upgrade. According to Expertflyer:

J0 C0 D0 IC Y0 B0 H0 KC MC PC TC LC VC SC NC QC OC ZC RC G0 WC X0 E0

Also, seat map for Business shows all but 1 seat occupied.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by TTL
One solution in the future would be to make the upgrades harder to reach. Elevate the point requirements and do away with the gold/plat upgrade vouchers. LH gives two one sector eVouchers for renewing the SEN status and only six one sector eVouchers for renewing the HON status. AY is very generous with their vouchers nowadays.
Frankly, the upgrade vouchers are for me the reason to keep accruing status with AY. Do away with them and consider me gone.

BTW - when you compare AY's upgrade practices to AA, AA upgrade as a standard practice elite members to J at the gate as long as there is availability.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Trav1970
Looks pretty bad for being able to get a voucher upgrade. According to Expertflyer:

Wow, that looks sad indeed Thank you for checking!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
BTW - when you compare AY's upgrade practices to AA, AA upgrade as a standard practice elite members to J at the gate as long as there is availability.
That's rather the difference between US and European airlines in general.

Also - these gate updates are domestic only (IIRC). There is no AY domestic C so nowhere to upgrade to.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
That's rather the difference between US and European airlines in general.

Also - these gate updates are domestic only (IIRC). There is no AY domestic C so nowhere to upgrade to.
"Domestic" in the US means something a bit bigger than in Finland. I'd be happy if AY applied that for EU routes.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
IME, AA upgrades might clear at the gate also for international segments.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:31 am

J1 C1 D1 Y0 B0 H0 G0 X0 E0

Just now one slot freed up and seat map shows two additional available seats in mini-cabin. Time to start hoping again?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:48 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Finnair started the traditional winter sale yesterday. Unfortunately, they don't offer discounted upgrades this winter.

Anyway, I upgraded our upcoming flight to JFK. The upgrade availability only showed two free seats, and I picked them up. On a return flight, availability showed even less: one seat. The same upgrade availability is almost every day in March. However, seat maps were almost empty when I made few dummy bookings.

I called to Finnair Plus and asked about it. They said straight they keep low availability for upgrades so that they have more to sell for paying customers and offered to add us on a wait list. Instead, I paid for the first row of economy comfort seats on the return flight.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Anyway, I upgraded our upcoming flight to JFK. The upgrade availability only showed two free seats, and I picked them up. On a return flight, availability showed even less: one seat. The same upgrade availability is almost every day in March. However, seat maps were almost empty when I made few dummy bookings.
I copy that, at least for JFK.
I always call Plat line to do the upgrades and I have been waitlisted, but upgrades cleared the following day. This makes me think a following scenario: they open only couple of seats (at least for high interest routes), prefer to waitlist people, then a manager level person goes through the lists, and those on higher elite status get cleared faster.
Just a guess... but it seems that the availability of upgrades has not worsened, they seem only to lure people think so (a point which I don't understand though)
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:11 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by FFlash
I copy that, at least for JFK.
I always call Plat line to do the upgrades and I have been waitlisted, but upgrades cleared the following day. This makes me think a following scenario: they open only couple of seats (at least for high interest routes), prefer to waitlist people, then a manager level person goes through the lists, and those on higher elite status get cleared faster.
Just a guess... but it seems that the availability of upgrades has not worsened, they seem only to lure people think so (a point which I don't understand though)
This was my experience in upgrading three family members and myself in November (for flight in February) JFK-HEL. Two upgrades cleared immediately (Mrs and Jr), two the following day.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Just to add another data point: upgrade with points for HEL-ORD segment next September cleared today in two hours for me and Mrs. LE. Availability tool showed only one upgrade seat available.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
This is a very silly question, but I am doing it since very bad online travel agent experiences I have become supercautious to book with them:

Is there going to be any issues to upgrade with AY points/voucher if I have booked through OTA an AY longhaul ticket on AY metal?

I always book through airline, but now it seems a constant difference of ~750€ AY vs. >500€ OTA which makes me tempted to buy through OTA after all.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
This is a very silly question, but I am doing it since very bad online travel agent experiences I have become supercautious to book with them:

Is there going to be any issues to upgrade with AY points/voucher if I have booked through OTA an AY longhaul ticket on AY metal?

I always book through airline, but now it seems a constant difference of ~750€ AY vs. >500€ OTA which makes me tempted to buy through OTA after all.
I too have used AY's booking 100% of the time in the past but they clearly have raised the prices in this chanel. Last few trips I have used expedia and have had no trouble *) upgrading myself and others for points and vouchers.

Expedia is just a broker of AY tickets, so you actually buy the ticket from AY and pay a nominal fee to expedia for the transaction. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything, but having Finnair on the creditcard statement may make you feel better in case of trouble.

OTOH, these trips have all gone as planned, so I have no hands-on experience with OTA, AY and irrop.

*) No trouble other than the usual availability problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.