Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

No upgrade available for AY+ points - a first

Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

This seems to be a first for me - tried to u/g my BUD-HEL flight. They put me on the waiting list for two weeks, didn't clear even at check-in ("we have two standbys for one place") and at the gate the rather unfriendly lady just told me "we filled up". There were only 6 C seats assigned (1AC, 2ACDF) but they didn't move the curtain to accomodate upgrades.

Wonder what card the lucky winner had that trumped my OWE - AY Plat?

I got my prebooked exit seat with free middle seat (I get more and more convinced that this is an unpublished perk, as it's been the case for several flights) so I ended up with 2 glasses of champers poorer and 5k points richer. Points were re-deposited within 8 hrs after landing. ^
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It is probably due to ongoing campaign for shorthaul upgrades eating all inventory (but it has been immensely hard for me to find upgrade availability for longhaul this autumn. I sure do hope they have not killed the only valuable perk on the program by limiting availability).

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

Wonder what card the lucky winner had that trumped my OWE - AY Plat?

I have been told that the date you were put on waitlist counts too. If they still prioritize plats, it might just be a plat with earlier waitlisting.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
This has happened to me twice during these campaign months - but never during the previous years!

On an overbooked DUS-HEL flight some people were upgraded at the gate, including a teenager whose mother remained in economy... obviously without any points.

I was on the "waiting list" with points, but no place for me. I wrote AY asking for explanation, but no reply has arrived.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
I checked availability almost immediately when campaign was published and availability was already quite limited... I think Finnair has reduced F class availability.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:41 pm

I wonder if the demand for better service has also gone up. Similar offers have also been available during the last few years. Maybe the fares offered by LH and BA (C class for 400 - 800 € could also be sold intra-European instead of the standard 1800 €). In a recent flight there were over 30 passengers in C, so there really is some need for better service. A rather annoying feature is that the upgrades used to clear up in a couple of hours, no it is nearly five days. A reduction of the team or an increase of the requests? Only AY knows the truth.

Last edited by nordic; Jul 17, 2014 at 3:02 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
... they didn't move the curtain to accomodate upgrades.
I think that the CI and gate agents abroad do not have a clue of the "waiting lists". Somebody in Helsinki should check them before CI begins.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nordic
Maybe the fares offered by LH and BA (C class for 400 - 800 € could also be sold intra-European instead of the standard 1800 €). .
I think there would definitely be demand, as currently the 1800€ fares you speak of are really only feasible for business travellers looking for flexibility and LH connects. Finnair is ignoring the higher end "luxury" SH traveller, which is a market segment I think e.g. BA has managed to capture quite well with their rather reasonable CE pricing i.e. HEL-LHR €400 vs AY's price x3-4 that.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Justinus
I think that the CI and gate agents abroad do not have a clue of the "waiting lists". Somebody in Helsinki should check them before CI begins.
At least the lady at BUD checkin said - "there are two of you for the one available seat" The sour faced supervisor at the gate simply said "we filled up"
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
I think there would definitely be demand, as currently the 1800€ fares you speak of are really only feasible for business travellers looking for flexibility and LH connects. Finnair is ignoring the higher end "luxury" SH traveller, which is a market segment I think e.g. BA has managed to capture quite well with their rather reasonable CE pricing i.e. HEL-LHR €400 vs AY's price x3-4 that.
For 1800€ you very often get the full EU-HEL-longhaul ticket in C - in the worst case it creeps a bit over 2k
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Same here two weeks back.. Called for an upgrade one week prior and they put me on waiting list. Was surprised the upgrade did not happen. Anyway, short EU flight so not a biggie..

On another occasion 3 weeks back checked in my luggage and asked for an exit seat. At the priority counter they told unfortunately all were gone and the flight was overbooked to Y. Tried my luck and said I would not mind if she would put me then to the front and tadaa.. 1A OP upgrade Made me very happy
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AY0005
On another occasion 3 weeks back checked in my luggage and asked for an exit seat. At the priority counter they told unfortunately all were gone and the flight was overbooked to Y. Tried my luck and said I would not mind if she would put me then to the front and tadaa.. 1A OP upgrade Made me very happy
I usually call them to reserve the exit seat (as the system seems unable to recognize OWE status) and so far it worked.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Waitlisted for upgrades HEL-ZRH and return mid-August, fingers crossed…

None of the dates around then seemed to have much availability.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FCO-HEL went through at first try. ^
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by miikkak
I think Finnair has reduced F class availability.
What's the point in launching a 5000-point intra-European upgrade campaign and reducing at the same time F class availability?

On a recent flight - once again - they had received only 4 seats for J, although there was some place in Y.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Justinus
What's the point in launching a 5000-point intra-European upgrade campaign and reducing at the same time F class availability?
Assuming logic is in control of an airline - yeah, it would be no point to do that.

But the "cheap" J-upgrades for points have been launched every summer and probably is something marketing just do every year without ever speaking to anyone about it.

F availability however is something that is under the control of revenue management and from what we've heard (like from the capital markets day) AY has new revenue management in place and also has "launched some activities that soon will give us better revenues". No details told, so it is anyone's guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.