Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
Here we try to keep an up-to-date list of who-goes-where. Finnair may have tuned the boarding groups since the first introduction, so some entries here are not confirmed.

Pre-boarding (those in need of assistance, UM, travellers with children of any age)
Group 1: J-pax, AY Lumo, AY Plat, Oneworld Emerald
Group 2: AY Gold, Oneworld Sapphire
Group 3: AY Silver, Oneworld Ruby
Group 4–5: Other customers, depending on seating

Assignment of group
Group is assigned based on ticket type and status of individual frequent flyer card attached to booking. All customers on the same booking are assigned the same group, i.e., based on the highest tier in the party.
The boarding groups are printed on paper boarding pass on every route with capital letters "GROUP 1". The group also appears on digital boarding passes.

Enforcement of Boarding order
Enforcement of groups is haphazard. Sometimes groups are called out, sometimes a call like "we invite our priority customers to board first or at any time". Groups are rarely checked on boarding though and on shorthaul no aids (like ribbons, signs) are used either. At HEL automatic boarding gates have been introduced which means "priority boarding" in now enforced.
Print Wikipost

Boarding groups - finally?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Also, no priority bus any more on my recent flights from HEL.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
HEL-FCO today, automatic gates and machine did what it was supposed to do. People were returning back to wait until their group is invited.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I had a very very neat boarding process recently with H2. Gate agents early enough at gate, making clear announcement, 2 (actually 3rd for priority) lines prepared with clear signs with rows 1-14 and 15-X, where they started with a priority boarding 2 ladies checking all prioritys, then proceeding with the line of 15+ strictly. There was no hassle, people in line 1-14 neatly waited including me and plane was effectively boarded from the back.
All extras on H2 are paid. It is a LCC airplane Sky Airlines and the best so far I have experienced. Ticket was 25$ only and smily staff, courteous and punctual. While I flew LAN shorthauls and paid 30 times more expensive another ticket compared to H2, I got absolutely opposite experience and no recognition as OWE, nada. I was amazed how poor a flagship LATAM can be. They have just introduced BOB concept too, no more freebies during flight.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Priority bus today at HEL for 6 passenger. Nice.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Priority bus today at HEL for 6 passenger. Nice.
Longhaul or shorthaul?
Old May 1, 2017, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Longhaul or shorthaul?
First AY LH in 4 years.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
First AY LH in 4 years.
6 J pax on a longhaul flight?
Old May 2, 2017, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by florens
6 J pax on a longhaul flight?
2 more came later but still really nice. On the return flight it looked better for AY with the J cabin over 50% full.

One couple travelled back with me with the next flight (no direct turn around) so we were 3 out of 8 doing a MR.
Old May 2, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
2 more came later but still really nice. On the return flight it looked better for AY with the J cabin over 50% full.

One couple travelled back with me with the next flight (no direct turn around) so we were 3 out of 8 doing a MR.
Must've been great to have your choice of seats.

I've always seen full J cabins on AY's LH flights.
Old May 2, 2017, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Must've been great to have your choice of seats.

I've always seen full J cabins on AY's LH flights.

Last year I had a flight PEK-HEL where we were only with 7 in J cabin.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by casper79
Last year I had a flight PEK-HEL where we were only with 7 in J cabin.
my last AY flight nearly two years ago HEL-BKK there were only 7 or 8 of us. Best flight ever
Old May 6, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I think there were about 6 pax when I flew XIY-HEL: a Chinese couple, a noisy pair of Finnish businessmen, a musician heading back to MAN, and me, on the only revenue J ticket of my entire life.

Admittedly, XIY is not a big business destination.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:31 am

Christmas eve BKK-HEL. Only me and my wife on the business class. Not single people in the cabin except us. Best chance ever to join mile high cl...ok to the point. FA`s asked is it ok if only one of them serve us and another ones goes to rest because there were more FA`s than passengers
Old May 6, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Today boarding group 1 was enforced when boarding AY5 ar HEL.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Recently quite well managed boarding groups at HEL and OUL from what I could see. However, few issues were spotted:
1. Do they refrain from enforcing boarding groups on ATR flights (with no bus to the aircraft)?
2. Does delayed incoming aircraft play some role in the process?
3. I would really appreciate improving the whole process by launching boarding lanes as used by e.g. LATAM. It makes it clear when one lane (group) is already boarded, while the priority is still there for those who are coming later. It also makes it clear who is the last person of Group 1, so you can avoid skipping the queue / giving way to non-G1 pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.