Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
Here we try to keep an up-to-date list of who-goes-where. Finnair may have tuned the boarding groups since the first introduction, so some entries here are not confirmed.

Pre-boarding (those in need of assistance, UM, travellers with children of any age)
Group 1: J-pax, AY Lumo, AY Plat, Oneworld Emerald
Group 2: AY Gold, Oneworld Sapphire
Group 3: AY Silver, Oneworld Ruby
Group 4–5: Other customers, depending on seating

Assignment of group
Group is assigned based on ticket type and status of individual frequent flyer card attached to booking. All customers on the same booking are assigned the same group, i.e., based on the highest tier in the party.
The boarding groups are printed on paper boarding pass on every route with capital letters "GROUP 1". The group also appears on digital boarding passes.

Enforcement of Boarding order
Enforcement of groups is haphazard. Sometimes groups are called out, sometimes a call like "we invite our priority customers to board first or at any time". Groups are rarely checked on boarding though and on shorthaul no aids (like ribbons, signs) are used either. At HEL automatic boarding gates have been introduced which means "priority boarding" in now enforced.
Print Wikipost

Boarding groups - finally?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Was flying back to HEL yesterday from BUD and was all prepared for the usual ZOO at the boarding. Of course they were not using the boarding groups, BUT to my biggest surprise, J pax and AY+ Silver/Gold/Plat (and guessing OW R/S/E) could use a separate "priority boarding" line, which they actually strictly enforced and sent away anyone, who was not entitled to use it! ^
Apparently they are monitoring this thread ^
Similar experience last week ex BUD and HEL-FRA with boarding groups enforced, not that strictly but to some extent. I have a feeling this is case by case and can never be sure what to expect.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
They also enforced boarding groups at LHR yesterday. No mentioning of priority or business class passengers, or pax with small children.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum
It looks like the boarding procedure for silvers has been downgraded: Just checked in for a intra-Europe flight for tomorrow. We're 4 people in the same booking. AY Gold got boarding group 1, Silver is in 2 and the white card holders are in 4. On our outbound fligt from HEL I was in group 1 and the rest of us were in 2.

How this all will be put in action at the gates is of course another question.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by loimu
It looks like the boarding procedure for silvers has been downgraded: Just checked in for a intra-Europe flight for tomorrow. We're 4 people in the same booking. AY Gold got boarding group 1, Silver is in 2 and the white card holders are in 4. On our outbound fligt from HEL I was in group 1 and the rest of us were in 2.

How this all will be put in action at the gates is of course another question.
It could be a computer error but it's likelier that it's a benefit cut.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:40 am
TTL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
This is a very clever move from AY! How about Emeralds and businetic flyers in 1, Sapphires in 2, and the rest in whateva?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
It could be a computer error but it's likelier that it's a benefit cut.
It is a benefit cut.

Originally Posted by TTL
This is a very clever move from AY! How about Emeralds and businetic flyers in 1, Sapphires in 2, and the rest in whateva?
Yeah, clever indeed! A lot of criticism against the boarding group system and AY responds by making it worse. They can hardly manage 3 groups and they add a forth one.

If they think they can manage 4 groups, then I'd rather see
1 - J, Juniors, Platinum and Emerald.
2 - Gold, Sapphire, Comfort
3 - Silver, Ruby
4 - Non status
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:59 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Not a benefit cut in my eyes as there has never been a benefit

Just from maldesigned to redesigned=not working to awful to obsessively customer demeaning experience
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by intuition
It is a benefit cut.

Yeah, clever indeed! A lot of criticism against the boarding group system and AY responds by making it worse. They can hardly manage 3 groups and they add a forth one.

If they think they can manage 4 groups, then I'd rather see
1 - J, Juniors, Platinum and Emerald.
2 - Gold, Sapphire, Comfort
3 - Silver, Ruby
4 - Non status
I just curious why Juniors in group 1? I'd say put them in 3.

4. Should be white card members
5 and onwards, board by seat rows.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
As a Gold / Sapphire I would get to group 2 even with your "strictest" proposals, so I would still be fine with that, but I think you guys are now living in a "bubble"...

In my mind, boarding groups are there not only as a perk, but to facilitate the actual boarding, so that not everyone is trying to get on the plane at the same time. Now when I see proposals of first 3(!) groups being only just status pax, and one for everyone else, it makes me think that we here collectively believe that almost everyone has a ff status, while actually the vast majority has a basic card, or maybe not even that... I personally don't really see the reason for "oversegmenting" the status pax and then letting everyone else to attack the plane as a good solution.

If you ask me, I see the non-enforcement of the boarding groups a much bigger issue over the "who is in what group" question.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I just curious why Juniors in group 1? I'd say put them in 3.
The reason I put junior in group one is
A) it is good for the airline and the travellers to have 12 y.o. travelling alone without UM service onboard early
B) it is one perk you can give them, costs nothing, has obvious pros and fosters loyalty

But i think AY sees young frequent flyers as divorce kids that now and then fly a domestic segment over weekend/holiday. Stuck in this vision of the world, they might think this group has no choice and no frequent flyer needs so they keep on doing nothing for the group
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:28 am

As a Gold / Sapphire I would get to group 2 even with your "strictest" proposals, so I would still be fine with that, but I think you guys are now living in a "bubble"...

In my mind, boarding groups are there not only as a perk, but to facilitate the actual boarding, so that not everyone is trying to get on the plane at the same time. Now when I see proposals of first 3(!) groups being only just status pax, and one for everyone else, it makes me think that we here collectively believe that almost everyone has a ff status, while actually the vast majority has a basic card, or maybe not even that... I personally don't really see the reason for "oversegmenting" the status pax and then letting everyone else to attack the plane as a good solution.

If you ask me, I see the non-enforcement of the boarding groups a much bigger issue over the "who is in what group" question.
It indeed is the enforcement of the boarding procedure which is more important than the "who is in what group". I wouldn't mind if I were in group 2 for example because if they enforce it properly I'd still have overhead space for my carry-on.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Apparently the Juniors that actually fly a lot are already placed higher on the boarding groups. I don't know how this is measured or what the actual limits are, but apparently it works.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
Apparently the Juniors that actually fly a lot are already placed higher on the boarding groups. I don't know how this is measured or what the actual limits are, but apparently it works.
Seems very interesting. Maybe they measure it by how many segments has the Junior taken that year or something.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Wisely spoken! ^

Though, one reason we discuss it as a perk is that AY sells it as a perk.

As for "everyone has ff status", yes you are right it is easy to do that mistake.
But as for actual numbers of travellers with tier status, I think we all have seen how many people lining up for "priority boarding" there can be. Perhaps because it isn't policed, perhaps because there really is a large number of silvers/ruby.

Boarding priority also has a major impact on travel life since the light tickets were introduced. I the LCC / Light / HBO logic, priority boarding equals securing your bag stays in a overhead above your seat.

The feeling of boarding late with a carry on bag in the "pay-for-checked-baggage-era" has been accurately described by Nelson Muntz:
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
But i think AY sees young frequent flyers as divorce kids that now and then fly a domestic segment over weekend/holiday. Stuck in this vision of the world, they might think this group has no choice and no frequent flyer needs so they keep on doing nothing for the group
Divorce kids could be Golds or even Plats if they would be allowed to. Fly every week two times and you'll have 100 flights at least. Not too bad. Even flying "only" every second week gives you Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.