Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Back to Finnair plus or stick with BA EC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold

I am a BA Euro Gold and have just requalified for gold at the Euro limits for the last time. Now my new tracking period will start and it is time to work out which airline program to focus on.

I am based in Finland and mainly fly to the US and my prefered route has been with BA via LHR. I dont expect that to change.

I switched to BA to take advantage of the Euro limits and because Finnair just wasnt rewarding me enough for transatlantic flights on BA. Since then Finnair plus has changed and Finnair is part of the transatlantic deal with BA and AA. Is it any better?

I couldnt find any easy way of estimating points and tiers on the finnair site e.g. how many points for a HEL-LHR-SFO/SEA/LAX return trip?

Any facts or opinions?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
For me it's a no-brainer - stick with BAEC, especially as you'll fly their own metal.

You'll get status faster than with AY+ and if earning/burning is an issue for you, the Avios you earn on BA as status pax (100+100%) will take you much further than AY+ points.

You may calculate the AY+ points earning on BA by looking up the great circle distnces in km and multiple by the booking class bonus (25%-125%)
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OldHigsonian
I couldnt find any easy way of estimating points and tiers on the finnair site e.g. how many points for a HEL-LHR-SFO/SEA/LAX return trip?

What fare class are you usually flying?
And are you contemplating flying AY and/or AY marketed flights?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by OldHigsonian
I am a BA Euro Gold and have just requalified for gold at the Euro limits for the last time. Now my new tracking period will start and it is time to work out which airline program to focus on.

I am based in Finland and mainly fly to the US and my prefered route has been with BA via LHR. I dont expect that to change.

I switched to BA to take advantage of the Euro limits and because Finnair just wasnt rewarding me enough for transatlantic flights on BA. Since then Finnair plus has changed and Finnair is part of the transatlantic deal with BA and AA. Is it any better?

Any facts or opinions?
Unfortunately Finnair did at some point change the point earnings rules for other OW carriers so that business class fares no longer earn 200%. If you fly business and want to use AY Plus as your program, the best option is to try to book your tickets into the AY inventory even if it is a BA aircraft. If that is not possible, point earnings will be bad and BA EC will likely be a better alternative. Besides, BA will give you full tier points (although the Avios will be reduced) for flying other OW carriers. On the other hand, AY nowadays allows you to convert earned points to tier points with a ratio of 3:1, which may help in the status qualification (however, by no more than 50% as that is the limit on converted points).

I have not done the math in Economy, as I usually do not fly that in long haul.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
What fare class are you usually flying?
And are you contemplating flying AY and/or AY marketed flights?
I fly the flights the travel agent gives. They have been a mix of BA and AA flights to date. Never had an AY ticket. Maybe full fair economy is a good reference.

If I remember back to when I chose BA EC then Finnair where giving the same (low) points regardless of whether the ticket was Y or some discounted ticket. I guess that has changed.

Anyway, looks like sticking with BA is the way to go. It doesnt seem Finnair has any super compelling reason to have me change.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
AY+ is good if you fly AY or AY codeshares in J. For your pattern AAdvantage seems better. Or BAEC.
We have a thread here somwhere comparing them. Worst combination is flying OW and crediting to AY+
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
AA is also good in economy AY BA AA all fares 100% eqm as a elite you get bonus miles. Easy to start as well with a status challenge 10000 pts for saphire
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:01 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I can only echo what has been said already, stick with BAEC if you fly with BA. It also works fine with AA flights with the status bonuses.

AA is best if you fly a lot with cheapest Y fares on any OW airline and AY is best if you fly a lot of expensive AY Y and/or their paid J (nothing beats AY Plus for AY J flyers who fly less with other OW carriers)
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:27 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Planning of doing some holiday travel to reach AY Plat in 2015. What I find interesting, is that the longest AY hauls ex ARN are around € 2500 in the cheaper biz earning 200% but ex KUO around € 4600. Do you know any better investments than some KUO-ARN-KUO in the lowest basic quota for € 200 each? The best ex-XXX rates in another words with manageable connections KUO-XXX-KUO. Keeping the emerald in OW has become an obsession to me . This year I will get the LH SEN and do not have to worry about *A for two years.

I intend to do 3 such trips (perhaps SIN, HKG, and KIX) during my next qualification period using my hard earned and heavily income taxed own €:s. Rest of the points from the intra-EU work trips.

Last edited by TTL; Jan 20, 2014 at 7:42 am
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by TTL
... Keeping the emerald in OW has become an obsession to me ....
I intend to do 3 such trips (perhaps SIN, HKG, and KIX) during my next qualification period using my hard earned and heavily income taxed own €:s. ...
Well, welcome to the club. We are a few here with the same agenda.
You sometimes find decent priced longhauls ex sweden. Always bench GOT to ARN as prices can vary.

I have no idea about connections from KUO, but there are better ex-XXX but they will cost you in work/money for positioning flights. I'll send you a PM with a few suggestions.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Maybe start in Germany (HAM or TXL) and take advantage of the ongoing promotion. Non of the flights are more then 1500€. So the Plat won t be more the 4500€ in total.

Bangkok, 1.399 €
28.04. - 30.06. und 31.07. - 31.10.14
Chongqing, 1.299 €
15.02.2014 - 31.10.2014
Delhi, 999 €
01.02. - 31.10.14
Hanoi, 1.279 €
01.06. - 30.06. und 31.08. - 23.09.14
Peking, 1.499 €
15.02. - 31.10.14
Seoul, 1.400 €
15.02. - 31.10.14
Xi'an, 1.299 €
30.03.2014 - 30.06.2014
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Maybe start in Germany (HAM or TXL) and take advantage of the ongoing promotion. Non of the flights are more then 1500€. So the Plat won t be more the 4500€ in total.
Problem for MRs here is min. 6 days in Destination.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Problem for MRs here is min. 6 days in Destination.
Sitting in a plane for more then 10 hours and staying less then 6 days won t make sense to me.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Sitting in a plane for more then 10 hours and staying less then 6 days won t make sense to me.
Staying more than 6 hrs sounds like mass tourism. Right place to book a trip is Aurinkomatkat.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
. Right place to book a trip is Aurinkomatkat.
What the hell is this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.