Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rickytran
I think people like this hotel since everyone gets a suite but the rooms do need a refresh. The gym was kind of downstairs in the dark with no windows too. One thing I did like a lot was the breakfast buffet which was one og the better ones that I've had in Hawaii.
Our room in may had a total refresh compared to the room we had the time before in 2012. I think the only part that wasn't compared to 2012 was the couch but it was in good shape and very clean.

As for the gym, I think 99.9% of guests in Hawaii never use it anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Hello. I'm considering this property for 2 night with husband on next April, and I am trying to gather some info. We are interested in relax, by the beach or pool, not crowded environment... and of course good services.
The pool side suites seem nice (me and husband prefer a direct lawn/ground access), but can they be considered quiet ones? Also, is there any official price sheet for the cabanas? I was only able to find there is a 15% discount for FPC members, but nothing over that.

Thank you in advance
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Does anyone know what is the "authentic local food dish" Platinums can choose as one of the Passion benefits in this hotel? I emailed the hotel but no response. They probably don't know as this benefit is, to put it mildly, wildly inconsistent.
What is the passion benefit? We just made plat from the credit card and are staying 4 nights on the Chase certificates (2 cards). Is this hotel specific? Would we qualify?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by mileshound
What is the passion benefit? We just made plat from the credit card and are staying 4 nights on the Chase certificates (2 cards). Is this hotel specific? Would we qualify?
Check your CC Terms. Standard CC Upgrade is to Premier, not Platinum.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound

Don't forget you also get suite upgrades with the CC.... We just got our 4nts (2nts ea) CC awards... Were able to use them and the suite upgrades for late Jan at the Kea Lani
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Hi folks,

I will be spending four days at the Kea Lani next month and would appreciate some advice since I've only ever been there once (and only for 1-2 days).

1) dining:

What options do you recommend for getting a casual dinner? (While I enjoy upscale dining, I don't need it everyday)

- IMO the deli was excellent and just getting a sandwich / salad would be fine with me 1-2x
- Ko seems to have a Happy Hour 4p.m.-6p.m. Would I be correct to assume that the happy hour food iteams are more like appetizers and not necessarily a good replacement for dinner?
- any other restaurants (in the resort or within walking distance) I'm missing?

2) activities:

I assume the Hawaiian Canoe Experience is a worthwhile experience?

I was thinking about renting a car for 1-2 days to explore the island. I'm really interested in anything except for snorkelling / water sports / anything too stressful. And since I've never explored the island, I'm pretty flexible. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would be particularly interested in beaches, scenic drives, some scenic walks, maybe a scenic flight (though those tend to be rather expensive IME).

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
1) dining:

What options do you recommend for getting a casual dinner? (While I enjoy upscale dining, I don't need it everyday)

- IMO the deli was excellent and just getting a sandwich / salad would be fine with me 1-2x
- Ko seems to have a Happy Hour 4p.m.-6p.m. Would I be correct to assume that the happy hour food iteams are more like appetizers and not necessarily a good replacement for dinner?

2) activities:

I was thinking about renting a car for 1-2 days to explore the island. I'm really interested in anything except for snorkelling / water sports / anything too stressful. And since I've never explored the island, I'm pretty flexible. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would be particularly interested in beaches, scenic drives, some scenic walks, maybe a scenic flight (though those tend to be rather expensive IME).

Thanks in advance!
For dining, I liked the deli as well. Down the street at the shopping center there are a few options. Chris Ruth steak house etc. But I really enjoy Monkey Pod -- reservations are a must. Very nice and I find original menu. I walk it but its about 20 mins. Just before it, and on the the other side of the street is a nice pizza place.

I've done the Canoe experience, the big blonde guy that does it is Chris. Its been the same two guys for at least a few years now. Gives you a bit of history, blows the conch shell and you paddle out. They let you snorkel off the boat but you don't really go that far. Not something I think you end up doing more than once, but its free. (Although I tipped).

If you are looking for scenic drives. Then you have to google the drive to Hana. Great scenic drive that follows the coast. About 3 hours out, 3 hours back if you go to the 7 pools and back. You can drive right around, but they don't recommend it as the back side is quite tight (meaning worse than what you'll face on the way to Hana) and there's 8 miles unpaved. But its easily done with a Jeep or something with AWD to be safe. Most rental companies don't want you doing this though.

The concierge can give you an audio CD. You pop it and mile by mile it gives you the history and tells you of places where you can stop and hike into waterfalls etc. Most hikes are easy, 10-15 minutes, some are more challenging and some if you want can be quite long. The bamboo forest one is a very nice walk (after the second water fall if you want to keep going to the rest, don't follow the trail on the right, but cross in front of the second waterfall -- the trail continues on the other side). Directions on the CD are easy -- 'after mile marker 12 on your right there will be a metal fence, watch for the pullout with cars in it. Park and walk back till you see the hole in the fence.' etc.

Concierge can also lend you a cooler, they will suggest 100$ room service pic-nic lunch. Goto the Deli.

Word of caution, there are like 300 tight turns, many places where only one car can pass. You have to yield. I was at Kea Lani a few weeks ago, they had done new asphalt and roadwork and I missed one of the yields. The rock wall does not move over, cost National a Cadillac SRX
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:39 pm

I just returned from 4 nights (2 CC stays) and what a relaxing resort. No fighting for chairs, free bottled water everywhere (bell desk, front desk, beach, etc), use of the Hana CD, use of a cooler, suntan lotion on tap, no towel counting, nice large suites with a great walk in shower...the list goes on. We did not feel nickeled and dimed unlike other resorts...but did pay the $30 resort fee.

We also were there for restaurant week which was nice. We did KO, monkeypod and Ruth Chris. The shopping center down the steet is great...the ABC store has cheap everything (boose, trinkets, food, etc).

If you go out to dinner, or anywhere close by, they will drive you there in an escalade.

We did Hana but went the full circle. As long as you go slow and have insurance (sapphire card) on the car it is fine and amazing views. We did the winery but not the crater since we did not have time.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks a lot for your replies!^

The shopping center sounds like a great option to grab some dinner or just some wine/groceries. How far is it on foot?

Also, could you comment on what prices to expect ath Monkey Pot?

The drive to Hana looks amazing, but it may be a bit far and we'd probably prefer an easier drive. Can you by chance recommend any scenic, not-too-challenging drives, involving no more than ~3h-4h of driving?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH

The shopping center sounds like a great option to grab some dinner or just some wine/groceries. How far is it on foot?

The drive to Hana looks amazing, but it may be a bit far and we'd probably prefer an easier drive. Can you by chance recommend any scenic, not-too-challenging drives, involving no more than ~3h-4h of driving?
How about 10 minutes?
Turn right out of the hotel, drive maybe 5 miles to Makena State Park and both Big Beach and Little Beach.
When you visit the Shops at Wailea, don't miss Lappert's Ice Cream.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
The mall is about a mile walk but you can also use the complimentary transportation from the hotel (I'm not sure if this is a platinum perk or for everyone). They will give you a call with a phone number to call for pickup. If you snorkel they can also bring you to Makena Landing if you have your own equipment or sign up for a kayak tour with a local company. Personally I really enjoyed Aloha Kayak. I used them 5 times now and 3 were on one trip where we also ventured to other areas.

One of the things we often do (in addition to our Fairmont room) is use a Hilton Free weekend night for their property for the pool area. If you have kids they often love it.

Or If you want one night out in a more romantic social scene then use a Hyatt free night at the Andaz. Actually, you don't even need to stay there... just go for the night at their outdoor area. It has music some interesting meals, and an outdoor bar area that is much more lively than the relaxing scene at the Fairmont. It can be a good way to blend in some differences in your stay.

The Caffe Ciao Deli is quite reasonably priced for an afternoon snack, evening meal, or just a bottle wafer or wine if you are interested. This is in stark contrast to the Scottsdale Princess where you would likely find it difficult to find a liter of wafer anywhere on the property for less than $6....

Oh, Personally I do not recommend the 'drive to Hana'. Its quite long if you try to do it in one day... If you do it consider staying a night in Hanna to break up the trip. Some hard core people with the 'do it all in one day' mindset may disagree but if you are looking for relaxation this might not be for you unless you stay a night in Hana. We rushed through it in one day and have no desire to do it again. Kauai on the other hand had a couple wonderful road trips.

Last edited by TravelGuy1965; Nov 23, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum

Here is a good estimate:

5-10 appetizer
12 salad
16 buger
20 main course
30 fish
35 steak

But you can look here too: http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/

I really recommend if you're looking for something non chain food like. As mentioned above, Kea Lani will pick you up and drop you off as well in their 2015 Escalade.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:24 pm

We really enjoy the Tommy Bahamas bar in the wailea mall. Ahi tacos are a great appie. We usually follow with the scallops split into two which they are happy to do and the dish is still a great size. The bartenders are also easy on the eyes and very fun to chat with during my visits so we usually just sit at the bar and unwind.

Manolis pizza use to be our favorite casual place. But they renovated there place this year with a new menu and we weren't as thrilled as our previous visits. However the ambience is much nicer and a pizza for two in the low $20s is tough to beat in Wailea.

Hi folks,

I will be spending four days at the Kea Lani next month and would appreciate some advice since I've only ever been there once (and only for 1-2 days).

1) dining:

2) activities:

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:02 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The Fairmont Kea Lani Maui

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

4100 Wailea Alanui Dr Wailea (Maui), HI US 96753

The Fairmont Kea Lani Maui (0 Photo)

Short Review

I went to the Fairmont Kea Lani and conducted a site inspection. Overall, here are my impressions.

I think the Fairmont represents a very good value for Wailea -- each of the accommodations are suites and the Ocean views are, in my opinion, on the whole better on the highest floors due to the gentle concave structure in which most of the accommodations are housed.

The corner Kilohana Signature suites are the nicest suites in the hotel, occupying the corner facing the ocean. The Villas are nice for extended stays with family. The decor of all suites and villas are being updated as they are a very corporate design which has very little sense of place. Not that the FS has a sense of place in the rooms; I think the Fairmont is worse.

I think the Fairmont is perfect for families as the pool is perfect for children. The Pool view suites on the ground floor are perfect for their proximity to the pool. The Resort is very laid back and is about a third less expensive than the FS which is right next door.

The Fairmont also operate a house car for shuttle service within Wailea.

Virtuoso amenities are: Daily buffet breakfast for 2; upgrade if available at check-in; and $100 worth of welcome amenities upon arrival.

I am sorry I have no photos as I completely forgot to take some!

All in all, a very good value alternative to the FS, especially if the Ocean View is of importance to you.

Would you like to write a review on the The Fairmont Kea Lani Maui?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ac/elite
That's not accurate unless you're talking more than 10 years ago or so. Ever since I've been staying at the Kea Lani 1-2 times per year every year, they have never charged for it. The concierge tries sometimes to sell you a canoe ride that also goes off the same beach (and is actually really good too), but that has never been instead of the complimentary one.

I've done the complimentary canoe ride too many times to count, but this past January had the most extraordinary experience when a mother and calf humpback swam directly towards us to investigate and passed about 5 feet off the front of our canoe. Mother rolled to her side with her fluke and half her tail out of the water as they passed. Chris said he had never seen anything like it in all the years he's operated the canoe.

A couple tips regarding the outrigger. If you can't get a reservation during your stay, go down there anyhow at one of the times it departs. They often have no shows and will gladly take you if there's room. The best chance is with the first run of the day, at 7am. This is a good way also to get a second trip during a stay as the concierge will allow only one booking per guest per stay as it is so popular. The guys running the outrigger, though, don't care if you've gone before and will gladly let you on if there's space.

Be sure to tip the guys running the outrigger. The concierges actually used to mention that it was complimentary except for gratuities, but they don't seem to do that any more. I generally tip $10-20. I've seen plenty of people not tip and assume that it was just that they didn't think of it and didn't bring any cash down with them.
I really want to do the outrigger at Kea Lani but I can't swim. It says I have to be able to swim to join... Now, my question is....did any of the canoe ever flip? Did you guys get a life jacket option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.