Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you use $25 Dining Certs on breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Can you use $25 Dining Certs on breakfast?

My $25 dinning certs are expiring end of Feb. I plan to use them at Fairmont San Francisco hotel restaurant without a stay. I reserved a table @ 10am for breakfast buffet. I just found that when I read the fine print that it says....
The Certificate entitles the Holder to $25 USD credit towards lunch, dinner or a Willow Stream Spa treatment.

Has anyone tried use it for breakfast at SF Fairmont successfully? Thanks,
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
so it is ok to use the certificates with out a stay?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Jay00848
so it is ok to use the certificates with out a stay?
There's nothing in the T&C that prohibits it, therefore a reasonable assumption is that it is permitted.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
I just called the fairmont hotel in Chicago and they said it would be no problem. Will be going for dinner next weekend before they expire.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I've regularly used mine at Epic Restaurant in the Royal York without a stay. However, I just recently realized that the certs are actually worth US$25 whereas the Royal York has been counting them as C$25. Makes a big difference now.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by margarita girl
However, I just recently realized that the certs are actually worth US$25 whereas the Royal York has been counting them as C$25.
All the Canadian properties where we've used them do the same. If you ask them, they'll just tell you they use a 1:1 exchange rate. It's a crock, but it is what it is.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I've regularly used mine at Epic Restaurant in the Royal York without a stay. However, I just recently realized that the certs are actually worth US$25 whereas the Royal York has been counting them as C$25. Makes a big difference now.
Some times ago, when the CAD was a little bit higher than the USD, the Chateau Montebello gave me something like 23.80 CAD for a 25$ certificate. Now that the USD is way higher they just give you 25 CAD...

The best place to use certificate is definitely the Montreux Palace, which gives 25 CHF...
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All the Canadian properties where we've used them do the same. If you ask them, they'll just tell you they use a 1:1 exchange rate. It's a crock, but it is what it is.
I last used some at the Banff Springs in the Rundle Lounge. Had to raise the issue of them being USD-denominated, which they acknowledged after checking with the lounge manager. They applied the USD exchange that was posted at the front desk which is not necessarily "generous".

I have some expiring at the end of this month, too, and will blow them out at the Banff Springs in the next week or two. Have to think they'll probably apply 15-18% for exchange now.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:21 pm

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
I used them over the years for breakfast and for brunch w/o an issue.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: CX, Marriott
Originally Posted by sxchan
Can you use $25 Dinning Certs on breakfast?
At Fairmont Vancouver Airport last year, the front desk wouldn't let me redeem dining certificates on breakfast nor in-room dining.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

I was able to use dinning certs on breakfast at SF

I just wanted to report that I was able to use the dinning certs for breakfast buffet at the SF Fairmont. Very nice!!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by coalharbour
At Fairmont Vancouver Airport last year, the front desk wouldn't let me redeem dining certificates on breakfast nor in-room dining.
The front desk at the property varies widely on their level of service.

You are most certainly eligible to use those certificates for lunch and dinner, but not in-room dining per the T&Cs. The terms breakfast and brunch are not included, however, I have never had a property deny use of them for brunch, ever.

Complimentary Dining/Willow Stream Spa Certificate

Redemption of this Complimentary Dining/Willow Stream Spa Certificate (“Certificate” hereafter) by the holder of the Certificate (“Holder, hereafter”) is subject to the following terms and conditions. The Certificate will be added to the Holder’s (“Fairmont President’s Club (“FPC”) member’s (hereafter, FPC members are “Members”) online profile at fairmont.com/fpc. No paper certificates or email certificates will be issued. The Certificate entitles the Holder to $25 USD credit towards lunch, dinner or a Willow Stream Spa treatment. Certificates are redeemable at all participating restaurants located at or in any Fairmont hotel or resort worldwide, excluding all Fairmont Heritage Place Residences. Certificate use is subject to availability;blackout dates and limited access may apply. The Certificate may be applied to tax; but not to alcohol and gratuities. Holder is responsible for settling any outstanding amount once the $25 USD has been credited. Any unused portion of the Certificate will be forfeited, unless otherwise required by law. Holder must communicate his or her request to use the Certificate to his or her server or spa attendant upon being seated in the restaurant or arriving at the Willow Stream Spa. Holder will also need to provide his or her FPC Member number to the server before redeeming the Certificate, at which time he or she may be asked to present their membership cards. If a Member requests that a Certificate be used, but there is no Certificate available at time of redemption in the Member’s online profile, the Member will be responsible for full payment of all dining or spa charges. For participating restaurants where the Certificate will be accepted, please click here. For a complete listing of Willow Stream or Fairmont Spas, please click here. Certificate use is subject to availability. For black-out dates and limited access,information, please click here. Certificate may be used in conjunction with any other room certificates offered in connection with this program, but not in conjunction with any other Fairmont or third-party package or special offer and the Certificate may not be used for in-room dining or in-room spa treatments. Certificate will be exchanged into local currency based on the daily exchange rate for the applicable currency, as measured by the hotel. Certificate has no cash value, unless required bylaw. Certificate cannot be used prior to March 01, 2015. If permitted by law, certificate will expire on February 29, 2016. Certificate is non-transferable, except by Platinum Members, who may transfer them to immediate family members over the age of 18 who are also Members. For the purpose of these terms and conditions, “immediate family” means parents, adult children, spouses (including domestic partners) and siblings. Platinum Members wishing to transfer Certificate to immediate family may do so through their online profiles. Family members will not be able to access or use a Certificate directly on or from the Platinum Member’s profile. Certificate will be void if listed or advertised for sale or auction on the Internet, in newspapers and magazines, or other similar means. Fairmont reserves the right to deny the redemption of any Certificate it believes have been resold, transferred or conveyed contrary to this provision. Acquisition of the Certificate or benefit it provides may subject Holder to income or other taxes. Holder will be solely responsible for paying all such taxes and for making all applicable disclosures. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts will not be liable for any tax liability, duty or other charges in connection with the issuance of Membership certificates.

You didn't let any expire last week, did you?

Last edited by PointWeasel; Mar 6, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I used 4 x $25 dining certificates at the Fairmont Tremblant this week. As expected, they were only going to credit me CAD$100. Upon checkout, when I explained to the front desk agent that they were USD, she proceeded to argue that they were in CAD. She then got the front desk manager who also tried to explain they were in CAD, even after I showed them the FPC website that clearly said:

The Certificate entitles the Holder to $25 USD credit towards lunch, dinner or a Willow Stream Spa treatment.
and:

Certificate will be exchanged into local currency based on the daily exchange rate for the applicable currency, as measured by the hotel.
He didn't believe the black and white wording on their own website. Fortunately, while the first agent was in the back getting her manager, I was calling the FPC platinum line on my cellular and asked the agent to please hold after I confirmed the proper rules with HQ. I passed my phone to the front desk manager, and the FPC rep explained to him that the certificates really are in USD. He still insisted that they send him an e-mail confirming that.

5 minutes later, the e-mail from FPC came through and I was given the credit in USD. It just shouldn't be that difficult. It was only $16 difference, but by that point, it was about the principle of the situation. FPC is likely reimbursing the hotel in USD while the hotel is only paying out customers in CAD, which I'm sure is a nice little profit centre for them. I don't know if the hotels are doing this on purpose or if they truly don't understand the reality of the program. I'm hoping the latter, as I never like to blame on malice that which can be explained by ignorance, but this does seem to be a pattern, and I have to believe that this issue comes up from time to time and the staff should therefore have been exposed to the correct terms.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
we always redeem them on in room dining (breakfast or dinner) although the breakfast in room at the fairmont MC is pretty dire!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Shenanigans
I last used some at the Banff Springs in the Rundle Lounge. Had to raise the issue of them being USD-denominated, which they acknowledged after checking with the lounge manager. They applied the USD exchange that was posted at the front desk which is not necessarily "generous".

I have some expiring at the end of this month, too, and will blow them out at the Banff Springs in the next week or two. Have to think they'll probably apply 15-18% for exchange now.
Fairmont Winnipeg had an exchange rate of 1.19 or around there a few weeks ago, I had to point out the certs were in USD but they researched it and applied it without any hassle.

On a related note, on the Virtuoso site the JPL is listed as getting a $100USD resort credit. I contacted the hotel and verified they will honour the credit in USD. Not bad getting a ~$120 credit for a one night stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.