Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you use $25 Dining Certs on breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I visited BC & Alberta in Aug. 2012 when C$ was darn near at par to or 2% above US$ (mid-market.) The Fairmont Vancouver took my breakfast cert. at par (C$25) while Banff Springs gave me only C$23.25! Pas grave, because I used my 2 Chase nights + suite upgrade cert. at Banff, they waived the C$12 a night Resort Fee, & I parked on the road for free !

Last edited by Brendan; Jan 7, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I've never had trouble using certificates for a breakfast over the past five years I've been a Plat; however, on my most recent stay at the Vancouver Airport Fairmont they did not want to let me use them. They said the order had come from corporate that starting with the 2017 certificate year (starting March 1) no certificates were to be allowed for breakfast.

That and they tried to use my 2016 free-night certificate and my 2017 free-night certificate for the same one-night stay!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: AC*E
By the rules, you cannot use the regular certs for breakfast. In the certificate terms.

"Certificates entitle Holders to $25 USD credit towards lunch, dinner or a Willow Stream Spa treatment"

I have had the restriction enforced at the Chateau Laurier. The poor hostess had to explain the bad news to me, but also offered that the fancy Sunday brunch is not considered breakfast and I could use the certificate for that instead.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was in Washington a few weeks ago and was able to use my certificates for breakfast. However, I asked the staff first and was told I could use them anytime.

Considering that breakfast ran nearly $60, as did a light lunch the next day, I can't imagine why they couldn't be used.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All the Canadian properties where we've used them do the same. If you ask them, they'll just tell you they use a 1:1 exchange rate. It's a crock, but it is what it is.
The Queen Elizabeth hotel in Montreal would apply a conversation rate, albeit a bad one, but still, it's not 1 for 1.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Guava
The Queen Elizabeth hotel in Montreal would apply a conversation rate, albeit a bad one, but still, it's not 1 for 1.
+1

Typically they'll try to pass it off as a CAD cert, and you'll have to raise it up to the manager to get it in USD. From the past, the rate they end up using is about 10 cents lower than the market rate, but whatever its better than nothing.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:48 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by YEGAccountant
They said the order had come from corporate that starting with the 2017 certificate year (starting March 1) no certificates were to be allowed for breakfast.!
So the Accorification has commenced!
canolakid likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Several years ago some hotel told me that my breakfast cert. was not valid for Sunday Brunch, which would imply that brunch is defined as "lunch." It would not be right to exclude brunch from both types of cert.s by saying that it is neither breakfast nor lunch.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:52 pm

Any idea if I can use my wife's certificates for a dine-in option at a nearby fairmont? Would they object if i give my wife's president's club number for certificates?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by somy
Any idea if I can use my wife's certificates for a dine-in option at a nearby fairmont? Would they object if i give my wife's president's club number for certificates?
If your wife has Platinum status, it's certainly permitted.

If she only has Premier status, you'll probably still get away with it, though certs are technically not transferable in that case.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Has anyone tried to use for breakfast at the Fairmont in Boston?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Has anyone tried to use for breakfast at the Fairmont in Boston?
I believe it would work if my memory is correct. The breakfast restaurant at Copley Plaza Fairmont is technically a 3rd party restaurant, but I believe you can charge it to your room. Because of that, you should be able to use your dinning certificate. But if you are not actually staying at the Copley Plaza, you may have to ask the front desk to set up a temporary room number for you so that you can charge it as if it's a room charge.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I believe it would work if my memory is correct. The breakfast restaurant at Copley Plaza Fairmont is technically a 3rd party restaurant, but I believe you can charge it to your room. Because of that, you should be able to use your dinning certificate. But if you are not actually staying at the Copley Plaza, you may have to ask the front desk to set up a temporary room number for you so that you can charge it as if it's a room charge.
This is my understanding as well. I had no trouble applying a bunch of dining certs for dinner and breakfast on my last stay last month.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Thanks. I'll be there for 2 days next week. Hows the breakfast menu there?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Airbnb
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Thanks. I'll be there for 2 days next week. Hows the breakfast menu there?
ok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.