Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entire EM&PR forum has become... [split off from BAreas Fall]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Close. Internet Brands ie Flyer Talk, where the FTer was slamming OMAAT, is powered by AD rev. If that user is on one hand slamming OMAAT while at the same time using an AD blocker while using FT, how are they any better than OMAAT?

See the clear issue?
No, could your write a blog with a few affiliate links to explain it?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by skunker
No, could your write a blog with a few affiliate links to explain it?
Please.

I make no bones about the fact that my blog is a business and I use links.

However, I would guess you also are one who uses AD blocker here on FT and thus are a leach not someone who supports FT (like the other user who was attacking OMAAT).

If you are going to cast stones you better be white as snow that is you use FT with AD blocker turned off. Yes? No?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:03 pm

Please.

However, I would guess you also are one who uses AD blocker here on FT and thus are a leach not someone who supports FT (like the other user who was attacking OMAAT).

If you are going to cast stones you better be white as snow that is you use FT with AD blocker turned off. Yes? No?
Sad that you've had to lower yourself to name calling.

You can actually support a website like Flyertalk without having to view banner ads and to click ads. It's called providing content. For example, I know several FT members that write trip reports that take hours... Does FT pay these members for the content they provide? No... Does FT profit off of these reports? Yes, by placing ads around the content.

So in my opinion even if I run ad block I provide content that other people consume and I do not get paid for it. If I find and detail a deal and get 300k+ views on my thread I get no compensation, but many other people are not running ad block and it generates income for the website. There are many other websites that use this model... TripAdvisor, Facebook, Instagram, etc... they all depend on users to provide content and do not give compensation. Not only that... but YOUR peers actually would not be able to maintain the current standard for posting several times each day to their blog if it weren't for people like me providing this content that is "borrowed" from Flyertalk. All I get is a hat tip... do you you, Ben, Gary, or Brian Kelly donate a cut of their profits to Flyertalk or members they have taken content from?

So maybe you should take a look in the mirror before calling someone on here a leech. BoardingArea wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for members on Flyertalk providing content and further the discussion on a wide variety of topics. Please tell me how you give back to the community that you take so much from? Oh right... Spamming us with links and not taking the higher road when people try to be negative. Not really a great way to run a business.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Jul 20, 2016 at 11:11 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
content that is "borrowed" from Flyertalk.
Again oh please. Everything on the planet did not start on FT.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
So maybe you should take a look in the mirror before calling someone on here a leech. BoardingArea wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for members on Flyertalk providing content and further the discussion on a wide variety of topics. Please tell me how you give back to the community that you take so much from? Oh right... Spamming us with links and not taking the higher road when people try to be negative. Not really a great way to run a business.
Perhaps before attacking me you will look at the number of threads I have stared on FT. I bet most of the leaches who use AD blocker here only comment and add very little to IB's bottom line.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ad revenue for all sites is plunging, especially the sites that have very little traffic. Advertisers are getting smarter in analyzing who is visiting such websites and simple page impressions from non-target demographics pay nothing. The ad blocking is a rather minor issue.

With CC links diminishing (or becoming more demanding) and ad revenues plunging, bloggers will have to get more innovative. Award booking may be a prospering field again since availability is becoming tight.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ad revenue for all sites is plunging, especially the sites that have very little traffic. Advertisers are getting smarter in analyzing who is visiting such websites and simple page impressions from non-target demographics pay nothing. The ad blocking is a rather minor issue.

With CC links diminishing (or becoming more demanding) and ad revenues plunging, bloggers will have to get more innovative. Award booking may be a prospering field again since availability is becoming tight.
Oddly, Adsense is holding up very well.

Whilst I am not allowed to quote numbers, my main 728x90 RPM is up a whopping 90% H1 2016 vs H1 2015. This is - for 2016 - on just under 3m impressions so it is not just chance.

Not sure why. It may be increased use of retargetting ads, it may be that my higher readership this year means that Google somehow sends me more premium advertisers, Google may be doing a better job of guessing what my readers want or it may be from specific advertisers paying to specifically appear on my site (I know you can check this in Adsense but I never bother).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Please.

Wow, talk about horrible logic. The main value of flyertalk is its users contributing useful content. It costs next to nothing to run vbulletin board software and set up cloud hosting. Probably four figures a month at most.

Actually, if they started pimping credit card links I'd be more then happy to help out. Thanks for the suggestion Rene!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Again oh please. Everything on the planet did not start on FT.
Maybe not, but there is no denying that bloggers lean heavily on FT contributors to write their own content....
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Raffles, if your ad revenue is up it means advertisers are getting what they expect(ed) from the page impressions. If they are not, then it goes the other way. I'm sure blog entries that wouldn't pass 8th grade test have a right to exist, but really don't make money on the ad front.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Close. Internet Brands ie Flyer Talk, where the FTer was slamming OMAAT, is powered by AD rev. If that user is on one hand slamming OMAAT while at the same time using an AD blocker while using FT, how are they any better than OMAAT?

See the clear issue?
You missed stvr's point entirely. They weren't criticizing the mere fact that OMAAT uses affiliate links, but the fact that OMAAT (unlike Doctor of Credit) deleted references to a cheaper method (lower annual fee in branch) of applying for the Prestige card that some folks* could use, thereby dishonestly not presenting the best offer in hopes of furthering his own affiliate link. In contrast, other bloggers have included information about the lower AF in-branch.

*Most of us don't have Citi brick & mortar branches anywhere nearby but in some areas it would be a viable option.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Are you seriously suggesting that the only reason blogs include affiliate links --- and design blog content to deceptively promote the products they are selling -- is because people are using .......ers? Because that argument has no basis in fact. Affiliate links for credit cards are entirely more lucrative, regardless of .......ers.

There's nothing wrong thinking that the commercialization of miles and points bloggers has led to a vast decrease in quality (though an increase in quantity of posts). It doesn't cost a lot to run a blog, so there isn't a freerider problem here.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Please.

You are....confused.

Big difference between using ad blocker and deliberately leaving key information out of a credit card commercial.

Btw, I am looking at an ad for MP cc. Do YOU use advertiser blocker on FT?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
..aaaand another blog to check off of my BA reading list. There are precious few left.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Please.

I have over 4,400 posts (of varying usefulness) on FT. That's how I support the community. If FT had a problem with people using ad blockers they could block those that use them. I have seen sites that do that. However, I would guess that FT has no plans to shoot themselves in the foot like that.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
FYI, in case anyone cares to chime in pro or con:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ces-forum.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.