Reload this Page >

Entire EM&PR forum has become... [split off from BAreas Fall]

Old Jul 10, 16, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat

Originally Posted by FallenPlat View Post
All kidding aside, what has Boarding Area come to?
All kidding aside, what has FT come to? Seriously.

I mean almost the entire "External Miles and Points Resources" forum has become some bizarre "high school never ends" whiny playground where everyone seems to come complain and constantly insult Boarding Area and it's bloggers without taking even an iota of personal responsibility, to you know, NOT READ IT every 20 minutes if the site isn't to ones liking.

It's just bizarre to me that so many on FT are completely comfortable throwing rocks at external sites and forums, but never seem to want to look in the mirror regarding what our own little world has become...

Regards
Old Jul 10, 16, 10:30 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post

I mean almost the entire "External Miles and Points Resources" forum has become some bizarre "high school never ends" whiny playground where everyone seems to come complain and constantly insult Boarding Area and it's bloggers without taking even an iota of personal responsibility, to you know, NOT READ IT every 20 minutes if the site isn't to ones liking.

It's just bizarre to me that so many on FT are completely comfortable throwing rocks at external sites and forums, but never seem to want to look in the mirror regarding what our own little world has become...

Regards
Nice rant.

But have you looked at the United forum lately? Or Delta? Or, well, any other forum?

I like to say that the face book is for bragging and stalking. By the same measure FlyerTalk is for ranting and research.

But allow me this one pleasure: if you despise this forum, um, you know...DO NOT READ IT.

Ahhhhh.

<shrug>
Old Jul 10, 16, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
It's funny that you say that, to me, since I agree with you almost completely. Why do people keep reading stuff they hate?

In the post you quote, for example, I stopped reading after the first two or three sentences -- as I said in the part of the post you don't quote. Really, why would I read (or keep reading) something that I don't like? Yeah, right, I wouldn't. So I didn't.

I used to read View from the Wing regularly but no longer really do -- for the same reason. But if I see a post on AA, I'll still go back; those posts tend to be worthwhile.

The only BA blog I still consistently read is One Mile at a Time, which I usually defend since I think it's the best blog here and, mostly, pretty good. The stuff there I know from experience that I'm not going to like -- anything about the Middle East or just about anything by a coauther -- I'll skip. This is, again, for the reason you state.

There remains, however, some disagreement

Sometimes a post is so awful that reading it paradoxically becomes truly interesting. Like a car wreak, maybe. I used to be a fan of a certain blog for that reason . . . long-time readers here will know which one.

Other times, I'll read some of a post because of a misleading headline. (That topic has been beaten to death here and so I'll say no more.) I'll rarely make it to the end.

And still other times, I'll read a post or two of a blog that's new to me to see if I like it or not. That was, very obviously, why I started to read the blog mentioned in my second post above. To repeat a bit, "started" is not the same as "finished." And I most certainly won't be going back to that particular well.

(Full disclosure: In my first post above I actually read none of the blog in question at all since it was quoted in its entirety here.)
Old Jul 10, 16, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
By the same measure FlyerTalk is for ranting and research.
Says who?

It did NOT always used to be this way on FT...

Regards
Old Jul 10, 16, 11:58 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by FallenPlat View Post
Why do people keep reading stuff they hate?
An interesting side effect is that not only do people keep reading content which they despise; but they also provide a link to that despised content so that others can view to what they are referring.

Ironically, that usually increases the number of views an article can receive — meaning that the author of the despised content benefits from the increased readership.

A similar effect does not work nearly as well with content which is considered extraordinary. The crickets are chirping loudly in this relatively dormant discussion...
Old Jul 10, 16, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist

Regards
As a reminder, whining about other people "whining", or commenting about something you arent forced to read that "you don't have to read it if you don't like it", are equally destructive.

As discussed in other threads, criticism or any valid discussion of a topic involves the good and the bad. If you think there's nothing meriting comment on these blogs, good for you-- then there's no reason for you to comment. When you go to a booK group, do you prohibit people from discussing the weaknesses and problems they had with the book?

Many blogs operate with (1) incomplete disclosure, (2) misleading advice, and (3) an impact for some reason on the practices of frequent flyer programs. Many people have learned of the conflicts of interest, shady practices, or just misleading advice from reading the commentary on Flyertalk.

There are threads for praise of blogs, e.g., http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...l-content.html

If you disagree with a criticism, explain why. Don't insult people for having criticism.

Your reference to a mirror is nonsensical. People argue with other FTers and insult them all the time. And last I checked, no one's FT posts were a profit generating business.

Saying "regards" doesn't make a post polite.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 10, 16 at 4:23 pm
Old Jul 10, 16, 5:11 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Regards
I think this is about the 3rd post you've made in this forum basically complaining about people complaining, i.e., doing the exact same thing with this forum that you don't like people doing with P&M blogs. To quote one of the greatest movies ever "I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes".

If you don't like the forum, why do you keep reading it?

If you think something better needs to be contributed, then what have you done to further that goal? What are your thoughts and opinions on these blogs? What do you have to add to the "A thread for extraordinary blog posts..." thread (to which I try to contribute as often as I can)?
Old Jul 11, 16, 6:31 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
I'm offended by this thread being split off and created. Whoever did this is in clear violation of FT rules.

If the OPs insults of members are allowed to stand, that can't be the title of the thread.

I don't know where you went to high school, but the discussion here, but for name calling like the OPs and select bullies who attack people who express their opinions, is far more respectful and substantive

Someone starting a thread calling people whiny seems a lot more immature than a criticism of a blog post

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 11, 16 at 6:38 am
Old Jul 11, 16, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
I'm offended by this thread being split off and created. Whoever did this is in clear violation of FT rules.
LOL - careful - questioning the MODS can get you kicked off FT!
Old Jul 11, 16, 7:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
If the OPs insults of members are allowed to stand, that can't be the title of the thread.
[...]
Someone starting a thread calling people whiny seems a lot more immature than a criticism of a blog post
Duly edited the thread title... feel free to suggest a better one via the 'alert a moderator' button.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR
Old Jul 15, 16, 1:17 am

Programs: UA
I think the change to the EM&PR forum is based on the travel blog's creating a large amount of money with their blogs vs their original start.

In the early days there was a lot less money and the early starters mainly did it for the fun of it. Look at OMAAT when it started, it was not for profit and you can read the posts when he finished college where it was not so sure that the blog will be a better choice then just going into a 'regular' job.

Later on you saw a lot more blogs popping up done by people that saw the money the early starters made and tried to get into the business (MMS being probably the most successful).

When the money gets big enough close to everybody will sell out, it might start small (e.g. Chase complaining about something you write and you start self censoring) and then it gets bigger not showing the best offers for credit cards or pushing cards because it pays you more.

Look at e.g. here from 2012 from a different large blog:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...dom-of-speech/

I understand the bloggers, its big business and the big guys will milk it as long as it works (seems like the smart money starts to sell out already, e.g. TPC, MMS etc.).

I still read the blogs and get some valuable information out of it. You just have to be a bit careful about their advise on credit cards and also there are too many filler articles to create clicks. Also the click bait headlines are a bit annoying but you see this now all over the internet (including in my facebook feed).

So in summary in my opinion the changing tone here is based on the changes to the blogs and those are based on the (relative) big money they are now pulling in.
Old Jul 20, 16, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stvr View Post
Pretty ugly post from OMAAT today. Takes content from Doctor of Credit, deletes the part about how the fee is lower in branch, and then reposts the rest of it to drive affiliate sign-ups.
Would love to know if you are browsing FT with any kind of AD blocker. If you are, you have no room to toss stones!
Old Jul 20, 16, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/3mm+, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Renes Points View Post
Would love to know if you are browsing FT with any kind of AD blocker. If you are, you have no room to toss stones!
Just curious....how so?
Old Jul 20, 16, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExPlat View Post
Just curious....how so?
I think his point is that you're criticizing a blog writer for using affiliate referral links to earn money but then you're using an ad blocker to prevent a blog writer from earning ad sales. So how do you want a blog writer to make money?
Old Jul 20, 16, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TMM1982 View Post
I think his point is that you're criticizing a blog writer for using affiliate referral links to earn money but then you're using an ad blocker to prevent a blog writer from earning ad sales. So how do you want a blog writer to make money?
Close. Internet Brands ie Flyer Talk, where the FTer was slamming OMAAT, is powered by AD rev. If that user is on one hand slamming OMAAT while at the same time using an AD blocker while using FT, how are they any better than OMAAT?

See the clear issue?

Search this Thread