Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Loose EK routing rules using AS miles (outed by blog)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loose EK routing rules using AS miles (outed by blog)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Says the guy who also has a signature that links to his own travel blog page...
I don't understand the link you are drawing. Can you explain further?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
There is a difference between sharing how to use your miles, and get them via legitimate means vs. someone that knowingly beats the hell out of the system and then brags about it.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:02 pm

And this is why we cannot have nice things, people.

(this is also why mobsters go to jail, because there's always some jackhat who cannot keep their mouth shut).
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Reminds me of a quote I've seen on here plenty:

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Hope he gets what is due.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I have seen cabotage flights bookable using AS miles, but I was afraid to book it...
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Does that mean I'm not allowed to chime in?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:44 pm

The screen shots that the blogger posted show a few things.

1) Not all segments were in first. At least 4 were in business and 1 was in coach.

2) The fees shown do not add up to $300.

3) The value of trip was based upon if you booked each segment as an individual ticket. With all tickets being in first class. Two things he did not do with his 2 award tickets.

4) Both award tickets were most likely changed by calling in. Both tickets are showing refunds for taxes as it looks like he made changes.

5) The travel period took place last March. It looks like he also utilized the chauffeur service to the airport.

It looks like at least one "legit" news agencies that ran the story tried to contact the blogger to confirm some of the details. He did not respond. The blogger writes in a style that suggests that he has little to no experience in churning or traveling on award tickets (this could all be an act). I'm having a hard time believing he found some sort of loophole that allowed him to book this ticket online after trial an error (he claims he kept adding on segments and that AS allowed him on the website). Since no one on FT claims to know the loophole it is even stronger evidence that he did not book each trip for 100k miles. He may have visited each city, but I don't believe he did all cities in just two award bookings.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
The screen shots that the blogger posted show a few things.

1) Not all segments were in first. At least 4 were in business and 1 was in coach.

2) The fees shown do not add up to $300.

3) The value of trip was based upon if you booked each segment as an individual ticket. With all tickets being in first class. Two things he did not do with his 2 award tickets.

4) Both award tickets were most likely changed by calling in. Both tickets are showing refunds for taxes as it looks like he made changes.

5) The travel period took place last March. It looks like he also utilized the chauffeur service to the airport.

It looks like at least one "legit" news agencies that ran the story tried to contact the blogger to confirm some of the details. He did not respond. The blogger writes in a style that suggests that he has little to no experience in churning or traveling on award tickets (this could all be an act). I'm having a hard time believing he found some sort of loophole that allowed him to book this ticket online after trial an error (he claims he kept adding on segments and that AS allowed him on the website). Since no one on FT claims to know the loophole it is even stronger evidence that he did not book each trip for 100k miles. He may have visited each city, but I don't believe he did all cities in just two award bookings.
That's the problem with bloggers they ruin it for everyone else just to make themselves seem superior ! Wonder what they would do if they had to pay for it and or actually fly the miles to earn it.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Wonder what they would do if they had to pay for it
Kickstarter
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Wonder what they would do if they had to pay for it and or actually fly the miles to earn it.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Kickstarter
Instant Rimshot

Many of us do fly for our miles. I only have 1x BofA card and have never churned. Even if this alleged loophole were true, there is a reason no one wants to confirm or deny the OP's questions. If they were, they would be just as bad as the blogger himself. I'm tired of space being harder to find as the ability to accrue miles without even stepping on a plane is too easy. Too much demand not enough supply.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 1, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:18 pm

You have to give him credit... He took the trip almost 7-8 months ago. The amount of exposure his blog/business has received has to be on par with being featured on Shark Tank. The BA bloggers had little to no plan in my eyes to capture that massive wave of views and turn them into sign-ups. This guy has a website where he has visitor sign up for accounts and takes them through the step by step process on how to obtain aspirational travel. The site is fairly well designed and easy to navigate (compared to BA blogs and TPG). While this guy was pretty lose with the facts of his trip he was pretty well prepared for the massive influx of traffic his page would receive.

I'm completely jealous if he was in fact able to book that on 200k miles.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Kickstarter
^^^^^

OK ca new all move on ?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
^^^^^

OK ca new all move on ?
It is the subject of this thread, this was split off from the main EK award availability thread. Not sure what there is to move on to? We could all stop posting (which I will do after this one) and let this thread sink like a rock to further reduce this blogger's recognition.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:43 pm

I know it wasn't done online, but I do wonder if it was as easy as making a phone call. In any case, I'm not thrilled about that many flights and 1-night stays in those cities. Seems very tiring.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
THis thread and every thread with a link to his blog should be deleted. The more linkbacks the higher the google rankings will be. Just like the serial spammer who posts embedded links to increase exposure to his scam site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.