Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: RIP US Airways Chairman; Hyatt Diamond; American Platinum
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Yes, and the article is significantly worse than I indicated above.

Basically, it's the first half of an anecdote -- an air marshal identifies himself and intervenes in an on-board incident -- but without the conclusion: we never even find out how things turned out!

There is, in other words, such a thing in this world as narrative construction. But evidently not in this particular corner of Boarding Area.

Who ever heard of starting a story and then not finishing it?
I'm late to the game on this, but I like searching occasionally in case there's any feedback about my posts.

I've been trying to "make old posts more relevant" by linking them to things that have recently happened, but it's clear from this thread that doing that is just confusing. So if I mention a story, I'll make it clear I'm referencing something I already wrote, or just write out the whole story to begin with.

I also need to spend more time on my headlines (and getting rid of my Bronx-ese) grammar! So it's good to see an example of where I totally fell flat.

Thanks for being honest about what you think of certain posts. It (hopefully!) helps me to become a better blogger.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
How about this one? Titled "How Long Is Too Long at the Lounge?" by The Points of Life:

The answer to this depends on where in the world you are. In Auckland I was at the lounge for 12 hours and was not ready to leave. Today I’m at JFK in the AA lounge and the hours have ticked by. Thus far I’ve ate breakfast, waited for the bar to open, and am going to take a nap following this post. When I awake, it will be time for lunch, more drinks, and a shower. Besides enjoying the perks, I anticipate that I will get more work done here than I would at the office, if I had one. If there was a gym here I’d consider making the daily commute to Queens.
http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....g-long-lounge/

That is the sum total of the article, in fact even calling it an "article" is a stretch. It reads like a stream of consciousness diary entry.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Well, you tricked me a bit here.

At first I thought you were picking up on my English "verb conjugation" theme from a page or two above. You know, "I've ate" instead of "I've eaten" and "If there was a gym" instead of "If there were a gym."

It's also perfectly possible to do great steam of consciousness. Proust comes to mind. Joyce, too. In the travel genre, my personal all-time favorite is Michel Butor's incomparable La Modification, which consists of nothing but streaming thoughts on a trip from Paris to Rome.

But this? Hmm . . . .

Last edited by FallenPlat; Jul 9, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
The comparison of FT to BA is also a disingenuous, apples-to-oranges one. No poster is making money from sharing information and posting on Flyertalk. Even though BA bloggers pretend to be doing the same thing, they're shilling credit card links and running businesses, thus far more open to critique.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Jul 11, 2016 at 8:39 am Reason: Crap. I did not notice this discussion had been split off somehow.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:11 am

This is probably the worst post I've ever seen on BA, and that's really saying something. The post itself completely sucks and would be a waste of time on Facebook, even. The blogger himself admits that he dashed it off in 2 minutes!?

http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....-person-world/

Then, when commenters call him out on the patheticness of this crap, he gets completely butthurt and defensive. Great work all around.

Now, for a post that actually contributes something to society and took the author more than 2 minutes to write. I wouldn't want to be accused of bias. There's still some sort of useful content on BA.

http://pointsandpixiedust.boardingar...139.1452188408

I also got a nice heads-up on some lucrative new Amex offers this morning. Too bad I had to read about them 6 times, but still useful.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
This is probably the worst post I've ever seen on BA, and that's really saying something. The post itself completely sucks and would be a waste of time on Facebook, even. The blogger himself admits that he dashed it off in 2 minutes!?

http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....-person-world/

Then, when commenters call him out on the patheticness of this crap, he gets completely butthurt and defensive. Great work all around.

Now, for a post that actually contributes something to society and took the author more than 2 minutes to write. I wouldn't want to be accused of bias. There's still some sort of useful content on BA.

http://pointsandpixiedust.boardingar...139.1452188408

I also got a nice heads-up on some lucrative new Amex offers this morning. Too bad I had to read about them 6 times, but still useful.
I clicked on your link to second post you referenced. I tried reading her when she first came on BA but found nothing of value. I stopped reading as I find it an absolutely awful blog. There is absolutely nothing IMHO of value in a pictorial post, which is what the Austin post was. I can't believe it took more then two minutes to write as it seems to be all pictures. I guest she is going by the old adage that a picture is worth a thousand words.

I'll give anybody a chance but if they want me to come back again they have to give me a reason. BA's bloggers (at least 98% of them) don't. It seems when there were less bloggers (7-10 years ago?) there was more reason to go there.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It's written in Chinese.
Ever since Troy left BA, BA was desperate to find a replacement that caters toward Chinese-speaking audience. So far I don't see the attempt is successful.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by cruisr
It seems when there were less bloggers (7-10 years ago?) there was more reason to go there.
BoardingArea started in December of 2007 as a beta launch with two weblogs: View From The Wing and The Gate — both of which were hosted here on FlyerTalk prior to moving to BoardingArea — plus there was:

• The Cranky Flier
  • Upgrade: Travel Better
  • Travel Commons
  • PointsWizard
  • TravelTechTalk
  • Online Travel Review
  • Joe Sharkey
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Realistically, OMAAT, VFTW, FM should just split off into their own stand alone sites. Not hard to clone their WP blog.

BA must be paying them a king's ransom cause if those three left the network would probably crumble within a month.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Realistically, OMAAT, VFTW, FM should just split off into their own stand alone sites. Not hard to clone their WP blog.

BA must be paying them a king's ransom cause if those three left the network would probably crumble within a month.
Ben could do it. Gary is a shareholder in InsideFlyer so unlikely, albeit BA is still wholly owned by Randy IIRC. Greg probably benefits from BA overall and the nature of his site means that he wouldn't find it easy to get his own commercial deals.

One downside of BA is that people never visit your home page - BA send them directly to the article. This means your average session is 1 page. 35% of my page views are my home page, readers start there then click on the articles they want which gives me an average session of nearer 3 pages per reader (and so more ad views).

If I was a BA blogger I would be focussing hard on ways to keep people on my site from the individual article pages, which is where BA sends people.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
I clicked on your link to second post you referenced. I tried reading her when she first came on BA but found nothing of value. I stopped reading as I find it an absolutely awful blog. There is absolutely nothing IMHO of value in a pictorial post, which is what the Austin post was. I can't believe it took more then two minutes to write as it seems to be all pictures. I guest she is going by the old adage that a picture is worth a thousand words.

I'll give anybody a chance but if they want me to come back again they have to give me a reason. BA's bloggers (at least 98% of them) don't. It seems when there were less bloggers (7-10 years ago?) there was more reason to go there.
Yeah, I probably didn't pick the best example of "content." Maybe I just like Austin. It's not a good sign for BA when this is held up by anyone as a standard, though, you're right.

At any rate, this post didn't make me nearly as disgusted as anything ever written by "The Points of Life."
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
One downside of BA is that people never visit your home page - BA send them directly to the article. This means your average session is 1 page. 35% of my page views are my home page, readers start there then click on the articles they want which gives me an average session of nearer 3 pages per reader (and so more ad views).
Depends on how many come in from BA versus other sources. It does not represent the majority traffic source for me.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I'm lazy and wandr.me takes fewer keystrokes than boardingarea.com!

Originally Posted by sbm12
Depends on how many come in from BA versus other sources. It does not represent the majority traffic source for me.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:55 pm

A stuffed monkey informed me today that BART trains run 3-4 times per day. That . . . doesn't seem right.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Deltapoints posts from this thread were moved here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...ns-merged.html

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.