This is why we can't have nice things [mightytravels.com talks about MS on CNN]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum

Not sure if this has already been posted:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/17/tr...html?hpt=hp_c5

My favorite part is how he claims to have "hatched this scheme" himself. He should talk to Al Gore, creator of the internet.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:24 pm
In memoriam

that's about $6475 more than I spent to get over a million miles--thanks to my fellow FTers.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
that's about $6475 more than I spent to get over a million miles--thanks to my fellow FTers.
Since you specifically said $6475, may I ask what was the $25 used for?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
This is why we can't have nice things

Ha! What a tool!!!!! This made my day!!!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'll be interested to see if the entire gift card method remains viable. Once the Mint hit the MSM, it died quickly thereafter. In addition, aren't gift card purchases with Citi cards frequently considered cash advances? We know that's the only change Amex and Chase would need to make to grind this avenue to a halt.

On the other hand and ignoring the bloated costs he incurred, the investment he made hardly seems worth the return--sure you can save some money on business class tickets, but most people aren't going to drop $6500 to save money on tickets they're not likely to purchase anyway. So, I wouldn't expect many people to follow this guy's lead.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
In addition, aren't gift card purchases with Citi cards frequently considered cash advances? We know that's the only change Amex and Chase would need to make to grind this avenue to a halt.
Only one gc type from one specific source
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
http://www.mightytravels.com/1323275...and_643675.php

Here is his article on his page.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cascade
Not sure if this has already been posted:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/17/tr...html?hpt=hp_c5

My favorite part is how he claims to have "hatched this scheme" himself. He should talk to Al Gore, creator of the internet.
Well, he could have come up with it independently. Certainly he doesn't appear to know many of the schemes FTers use, so it's unlikely he's perused these threads much or at all.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl

mighty travels is a somewhat frequent FTer..often goes reposting MR deals that have been already posted
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by bitachu
mighty travels is a somewhat frequent FTer..often goes reposting MR deals that have been already posted
he usually posts in the Good Deals in Economy thread under Mileage Run
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Well, he could have come up with it independently. Certainly he doesn't appear to know many of the schemes FTers use, so it's unlikely he's perused these threads much or at all.
More amazing is that the "journalists" at CNN didn't bother to do a couple quick Google searches to see if this was something unique or not.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

Interesting maybe his next story will be on he "found" a way to beat hotel prices. Mid-May he asked me for the web site I used on a successful LNF ( Marriott) hotel booking in London.

Last edited by mike2200; Jun 18, 2014 at 9:12 am
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'll be interested to see if the entire gift card method remains viable. Once the Mint hit the MSM, it died quickly thereafter.
One big difference was that the Mint was seen as 'people cheating us taxpayers,' so folks probably complained to their elected representatives. With GCs, there is no obvious victim.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by mike2200
Interesting maybe his next story will be on he "found" a way to beat hotel prices. Mid-May he asked me for the web site I used on a successful LNF ( Marriott) hotel booking in London.
I have it on good authority his next announcement will be the discovery of something called "fire". Not sure what that's all about.

Really though, it's never good to have things like this on a major news(ish) website like CNN. No, these things aren't secret but having discussions about them going from FT and miles blogs to major venues just increases the risk of something dying sooner than it otherwise might have. At best, it certainly does no good, other than 15 minutes of mild publicity for the interviewee.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:24 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I have it on good authority his next announcement will be the discovery of something called "fire". Not sure what that's all about.
I got an advance look at his next scheme. Apparently it is called the 'wheel'...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.