Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

This is why we can't have nice things [mightytravels.com talks about MS on CNN]

This is why we can't have nice things [mightytravels.com talks about MS on CNN]

Old Jun 17, 14, 5:02 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 384
This is why we can't have nice things [mightytravels.com talks about MS on CNN]

Not sure if this has already been posted:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/17/tr...html?hpt=hp_c5

My favorite part is how he claims to have "hatched this scheme" himself. He should talk to Al Gore, creator of the internet.
cascade is offline  
Old Jun 17, 14, 5:24 pm
  #2  
In memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,020
that's about $6475 more than I spent to get over a million miles--thanks to my fellow FTers.
biggestbopper is offline  
Old Jun 17, 14, 6:49 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA PP, Morning Calm, Marriott T, Hyatt G
Posts: 287
Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
that's about $6475 more than I spent to get over a million miles--thanks to my fellow FTers.
Since you specifically said $6475, may I ask what was the $25 used for?
lovexylitol is offline  
Old Jun 17, 14, 7:20 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Posts: 1,183
This is why we can't have nice things

Ha! What a tool!!!!! This made my day!!!
MSPDeltaDude is offline  
Old Jun 17, 14, 7:22 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,390
I'll be interested to see if the entire gift card method remains viable. Once the Mint hit the MSM, it died quickly thereafter. In addition, aren't gift card purchases with Citi cards frequently considered cash advances? We know that's the only change Amex and Chase would need to make to grind this avenue to a halt.

On the other hand and ignoring the bloated costs he incurred, the investment he made hardly seems worth the return--sure you can save some money on business class tickets, but most people aren't going to drop $6500 to save money on tickets they're not likely to purchase anyway. So, I wouldn't expect many people to follow this guy's lead.
lwildernorva is offline  
Old Jun 17, 14, 8:21 pm
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Posts: 1,786
Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
In addition, aren't gift card purchases with Citi cards frequently considered cash advances? We know that's the only change Amex and Chase would need to make to grind this avenue to a halt.
Only one gc type from one specific source
skibum7732 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 14, 8:26 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WAS
Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Posts: 2,576
http://www.mightytravels.com/1323275...and_643675.php

Here is his article on his page.
f0xx is offline  
Old Jun 17, 14, 11:56 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 13,777
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Not sure if this has already been posted:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/17/tr...html?hpt=hp_c5

My favorite part is how he claims to have "hatched this scheme" himself. He should talk to Al Gore, creator of the internet.
Well, he could have come up with it independently. Certainly he doesn't appear to know many of the schemes FTers use, so it's unlikely he's perused these threads much or at all.
PaulMSN is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:53 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Posts: 1,461
This is why we can't have nice things

mighty travels is a somewhat frequent FTer..often goes reposting MR deals that have been already posted
bitachu is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 5:20 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Posts: 41,108
Originally Posted by bitachu View Post
mighty travels is a somewhat frequent FTer..often goes reposting MR deals that have been already posted
he usually posts in the Good Deals in Economy thread under Mileage Run
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 5:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,984
Originally Posted by PaulMSN View Post
Well, he could have come up with it independently. Certainly he doesn't appear to know many of the schemes FTers use, so it's unlikely he's perused these threads much or at all.
More amazing is that the "journalists" at CNN didn't bother to do a couple quick Google searches to see if this was something unique or not.
gooselee is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 6:16 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SMF
Programs: Hilton Gold-Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,013
This is why we can't have nice things

Interesting maybe his next story will be on he "found" a way to beat hotel prices. Mid-May he asked me for the web site I used on a successful LNF ( Marriott) hotel booking in London.

Last edited by mike2200; Jun 18, 14 at 9:12 am
mike2200 is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 7:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Austin
Programs: AA P4L, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Posts: 3,379
Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
I'll be interested to see if the entire gift card method remains viable. Once the Mint hit the MSM, it died quickly thereafter.
One big difference was that the Mint was seen as 'people cheating us taxpayers,' so folks probably complained to their elected representatives. With GCs, there is no obvious victim.
Middle_Seat is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 12:52 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,145
Originally Posted by mike2200 View Post
Interesting maybe his next story will be on he "found" a way to beat hotel prices. Mid-May he asked me for the web site I used on a successful LNF ( Marriott) hotel booking in London.
I have it on good authority his next announcement will be the discovery of something called "fire". Not sure what that's all about.

Really though, it's never good to have things like this on a major news(ish) website like CNN. No, these things aren't secret but having discussions about them going from FT and miles blogs to major venues just increases the risk of something dying sooner than it otherwise might have. At best, it certainly does no good, other than 15 minutes of mild publicity for the interviewee.
84fiero is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:24 pm
  #15  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 48,798
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I have it on good authority his next announcement will be the discovery of something called "fire". Not sure what that's all about.
I got an advance look at his next scheme. Apparently it is called the 'wheel'...
kokonutz is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread