Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Oh well, there go the surcharge-less BA tickets using US miles.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oh well, there go the surcharge-less BA tickets using US miles.

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Ex Plat, DL Dropout from Skymiles 2015
Cool

Originally Posted by Delta Points
Welcome to FlyerTalk and thanks so much for reading the blog! ^
Oh, I've been on FT for a while. This is your old buddy Tyler! I just had to drop my old sn of DenverDelta because I dropped Delta.
Old May 2, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
FYI - it's against the rules to take a second handle. All you need to do is contact the admins and they will change your name without any issue.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Ex Plat, DL Dropout from Skymiles 2015
Originally Posted by Mary2e
FYI - it's against the rules to take a second handle. All you need to do is contact the admins and they will change your name without any issue.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll do that
Old May 9, 2014, 1:45 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
...aaaand it's gone.

Apparently usair was aware of the bug but didn't prioritize it until the blogs publicized it. Now they have fixed it.

But the blogs got their clicks, and their reputations as experts were enhanced. So totally worth it!
Old May 9, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
...aaaand it's gone.

Apparently usair was aware of the bug but didn't prioritize it until the blogs publicized it. Now they have fixed it.

But the blogs got their clicks, and their reputations as experts were enhanced. So totally worth it!
How is it fair to blame blogs? As soon as the #1 most visited (by leaps and bounds) points blog posted it, it was instantly on life support. Plenty of us knew about this for weeks but kept it out of the spotlight just as we do for literally hundreds of other glitches that would never last in the wild.
Old May 10, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
This game used to be a lot more fun when you had to put work into it and were thus rewarded with long standing loopholes and such. Before the advent of the self important blogging types....
Old May 10, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
How is it fair to blame blogs? As soon as the #1 most visited (by leaps and bounds) points blog posted it, it was instantly on life support. Plenty of us knew about this for weeks but kept it out of the spotlight just as we do for literally hundreds of other glitches that would never last in the wild.
It definitely isn't all miles and points bloggers, or even a majority. But a few of the blogs, one of which you allude to, are the usual suspects that push things over the edge due to their high visibility and publicity. After that point some strap-hangers chime in repeating the glitch, but by then it's too late anyway. The old saying about a few bad apples spoiling the bunch still holds true...
Old May 14, 2014, 8:26 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
...aaaand it's gone.

FWIW I learned of this opportunity from the blogs (specifically VFTW) in plenty of time to take advantage of it for a relative's trip. I wouldn't have learned of it otherwise. IMHO given that the deal was not going to last forever and given that the insiders had already had more than enough time to milk it, the right thing to do was to let the rest of us know about the opportunity.

Whether following that rationale helps or hurts the bloggers (or the airlines for that matter) is irrelevant to me. I'd like to maximize the benefits to the public, no matter who else may also benefit.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:11 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Kind of a tragedy of the commons, but in reverse. Once one blogger publishes, all the others might as well do it too, since they can blame the death of the deal on the ones who published first. Even though they all contributed to the demise.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:12 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It was common knowledge here. A simple pm to a member on the USDM award thread would have confirmed it 2 months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.