Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Oh well, there go the surcharge-less BA tickets using US miles.

Old Apr 29, 14, 10:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife

Looks like the bloggers have declared open season on one of the best/longest kept secrets in a while.

I am guessing it got talked about at Seattle FTU so then the bloggers declared it open game.

Alas.

Goes to prove the adage: if everyone is an insider, no one is an insider.
Old Apr 29, 14, 10:39 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Link to source?
Old Apr 29, 14, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Looks like the bloggers have declared open season on one of the best/longest kept secrets in a while.

I am guessing it got talked about at Seattle FTU so then the bloggers declared it open game.

Alas.

Goes to prove the adage: if everyone is an insider, no one is an insider.
Come on, it's been around for a month.

Originally Posted by JAGMAP View Post
Link to source?
it's on vftw omaat tpg and of course my blog.
Old Apr 29, 14, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
Come on, it's been around for a month.

So the bloggers have decided that a month is enough, and now is the time to kill it!?!?

Thanks, y'all!
Old Apr 29, 14, 12:06 pm

So the bloggers have decided that a month is enough, and now is the time to kill it!?!?

Thanks, y'all!
bloggers can do whatever they want, no?
Old Apr 29, 14, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

bloggers can do whatever they want, no?
Obviously.

They can do things to help their readers. Or do things to screw their readers.

Why they choose to do the latter will never make sense to me. But I suppose every click matters to adsense or whatever monetization scheme they have running.
Old Apr 29, 14, 12:57 pm

Obviously.

They can do things to help their readers. Or do things to screw their readers.

Why they choose to do the latter will never make sense to me. But I suppose every click matters to adsense or whatever monetization scheme they have running.
They're not screwing their readers...
Old Apr 29, 14, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

They're not screwing their readers...
Lol, I just read some of the comments....

And it seems like they are in a catch-22.

Some of their readers are pissed that they let the cat out of the bag on their blog.

Others are pissed that they kept the secret for so long.

Either way, they screwed their readers.
Old Apr 29, 14, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

Honestly, I'm surprised it remained a secret this long.

But since the affiliate link game is drying up, as well as MS being slowly cut off, they have to make money somehow.
Old Apr 29, 14, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post

Honestly, I'm surprised it remained a secret this long.

But since the affiliate link game is drying up, as well as MS being slowly cut off, they have to make money somehow.
Getting a real job comes to mind.
Old Apr 29, 14, 11:48 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Ben (Lucky) did mention it at Seattle FTU. TPG was not at FTU and so was not bound by that cone of silence.
Old Apr 30, 14, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by calwatch View Post
Ben (Lucky) did mention it at Seattle FTU. TPG was not at FTU and so was not bound by that cone of silence.
To me, it is not about observing the code of silence, but TPG making the argument that he is doing this for his readers. The truth is, if that was true, he would have posted it when it started. He did not, which suggests that he just found out about it (even though he continues saying that it has been around a while). Everyone else had been keeping it under wraps to help keep it quiet. Once TPG blasted it out, everyone else needed to do it as well to make sure their own readers could get in on it before US Air shut it down.
Old Apr 30, 14, 1:48 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by runfit View Post
To me, it is not about observing the code of silence, but TPG making the argument that he is doing this for his readers. The truth is, if that was true, he would have posted it when it started. He did not, which suggests that he just found out about it (even though he continues saying that it has been around a while). Everyone else had been keeping it under wraps to help keep it quiet. Once TPG blasted it out, everyone else needed to do it as well to make sure their own readers could get in on it before US Air shut it down.
Some of these things, in fact many of them, don't really need to be done to "help readers" because they're so obvious that if a person can't do some trial-and-error on their own, then too bad.

I mean, is it that much of a leap for anyone with minimal exposure to the FFP world, to think "Hmmm, I wonder what would happen with BA fuel surcharges on a US award right now?"...and, I know this is crazy but...try a dummy booking on their own to find out? It's not rocket science.

Really most of these things that become broadcast from the rooftops are pretty simple for anyone who wants to do some experimenting. And if they don't know that BA YQ is even an issue, or don't care to spend their own time experimenting, then that's their problem.

Instead some bloggers need clicks, need to keep up with the Joneses, and ingratiate themselves to readers and it becomes open-kimono time.
Old Apr 30, 14, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I mean, is it that much of a leap for anyone with minimal exposure to the FFP world, to think "Hmmm, I wonder what would happen with BA fuel surcharges on a US award right now?"...and, I know this is crazy but...try a dummy booking on their own to find out? It's not rocket science.
I can tell you've never made a US partner award booking. Phone only for partner awards (no ability to do it online), and it's a PITA with US phone agents who are very uneven in training level and ability, and the only way you can do find out cost is go all the way through booking the award and either book it or hold it, which takes the award out of inventory (no guarantee that it returns if you let the hold expire or cancel the hold), and is kind of a slimey thing to do just to find out if there's YQ or not.

Anyways... I don't see that this "kills the deal". News Flash: US DM is on death row anyways. They'll kill it off soon enough and merge it to AAdvantage, with all the rules about published fare/no transiting certain zones. So why is it so bad that a bunch of folks get a chance to save some bucks when they fly BA F? What makes FTers more deserving of "the deal" than blog readers?

Oh, and as I pointed out elsewhere... US isn't part of the AA/BA/IB TATL JV. So there may be a good reason why they're not charging YQ.
Old Apr 30, 14, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
What makes FTers more deserving of "the deal" than blog readers?
May I ask, and it's really none of my business, but are you/ or are you considering becoming a blogger?

Search this Thread