Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Ok fair enough. To me it doesn't matter. His reviews are helpful when I'm planning an In'tl trip on an airline I have not flown before. But yes the blog is his for-profit business so there is certainly a big element of credit cards / award booking service, etc. But I can't say it takes away from the purpose his blog serves for me and a lot of others. He indeed does have one of the largest and rarest collection of premium cabin reviews and it's hard to over-look that when planning a trip.

I do miss the old-school blogging when bloggers (including Lucky) used to spit out exactly how they booked a certain award, but I suppose that information is available in much detail elsewhere ... though a refresher every now and then would be nice since things change so often.
Oh I agree, it doesn't mean there isn't a utility for many of us as well, whatever the reasons behind it. The site did used to be more helpful in detailing how he went about getting the trip and he used to go on more unique routings/award sweet spots and such - but that ship has sailed for OMAAT.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
The moment a profit motive was introduced into the 'game,' it ceased being a game and then next comes the tragedy of the commons which is the current era of points and miles.
Indeed. And combined with the devaluations on the program side it's kind of a sad time for the "game" these days.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
This one takes the cake IMO:

https://www.instagram.com/ajetsetter/?hl=en

He's cut down his use of #wealthlife tagging but never understood why he flaunts Fiji water constantly. Sure it's a premium water brand but heck you can buy it at your local convence store or supermarket. I'm not much of a bottled water person myself, but I don't know who this fellow thinks he's impressing.
Wow, what a tool. Fiji water is fine and all but not something I'd see someone needing to make a big deal out of.

Originally Posted by Bierjunge
"Is This The Best Hotel Room TV Setup Ever?"
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-room-tv-ever/

Ok, this Travis guy has officially run out of ideas to write about.
I'm hoping he does a future article with "Best hotel room door stop ever?!"
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by scubadu
Why are you obsessed with this? What concern is it of yours? At the end of the day, he is providing reviews of products and services, why are you obsessed with knowing the mechanics of how he achieves that?

Regards
I want to replicate those mechanics for myself !
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EP
Anyone see Ben's article today about the extension of SWUs? Guess he was denied. I wonder if this is because 1) he is a cheap traveler on AA, booking allot of mistake fares or 2) that AA has coded his account as do nothing for this guy.

But I'll bet he is on the phone or on email with media relations to get a special extension
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Anyone see Ben's article today about the extension of SWUs? Guess he was denied. I wonder if this is because 1) he is a cheap traveler on AA, booking allot of mistake fares or 2) that AA has coded his account as do nothing for this guy.

But I'll bet he is on the phone or on email with media relations to get a special extension
Or at least the story makes for a great post to imply that no special treatment exists.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I want to replicate those mechanics for myself !
Well, if you are actually reading and comprehending this thread, I think you are going to come to the conclusion that you can't. Lucky is playing a very different game than you are...

Regards
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Or at least the story makes for a great post to imply that no special treatment exists.
But didn't he do the opposite?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
But didn't he do the opposite?
I'm sure you know there's no need to rehash basically this entire thread, but if one believes that Ben receives no special treatment from AA (beyond the occasionally disclaimed trip), then his post is fine. If one is skeptical of the above for whatever reason, one might think something else. There's plenty of evidence in his own writing to think either side is the case (in my opinion at least).

Either way, it's a good story for the blog!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I'm sure you know there's no need to rehash basically this entire thread, but if one believes that Ben receives no special treatment from AA (beyond the occasionally disclaimed trip), then his post is fine. If one is skeptical of the above for whatever reason, one might think something else. There's plenty of evidence in his own writing to think either side is the case (in my opinion at least).

Either way, it's a good story for the blog!
I haven't really read the entire thread (at all, like almost none of it-- I certainly, absolutely trust you that there's plenty of discussion of this,) but I know he doesn't get special treatment from AA in this context, for a fact.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:23 pm

I haven't really read the entire thread (at all, like almost none of it-- I certainly, absolutely trust you that there's plenty of discussion of this,) but I know he doesn't get special treatment from AA in this context, for a fact.
Color me surprised, to say the least. But, per usual, if you say, erm, write it, I believe. Thanks for the candor, though it will likely end quite a bit of action in this thread.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

How do you know that "for a fact"?

It's really a sliding scale and a question of what constitutes "special treatment." I think Ben's complaints are responded to differently than other passengers. He may not get special treatment prospectively, but the service recovery is different when something doesn't go according to his high standard.

I'm waiting for post 4 about how absurd the draconian policies of Qatar are....In their first class lounge. The rest of the country is obviously an example of freedom and liberty.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
How do you know that "for a fact"?
Because I absolutely do with regard to AA-- no idea whatsoever what relationship to other airlines he may have, but when it comes to AA, I know 100% for sure.

It's really a sliding scale and a question of what constitutes "special treatment." I think Ben's complaints are responded to differently than other passengers. He may not get special treatment prospectively, but the service recovery is different when something doesn't go according to his high standard.
Actually, that's a very different matter, and agree completely. Common sense, really.

...I'm waiting for post 4 about how absurd the draconian policies of Qatar are....In their first class lounge. The rest of the country is obviously an example of freedom and liberty.
And, yeah, actually I agree there as well-- that QR thing I think he really had a strange reaction to.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:03 pm

lol do some of you ever realize that you are infatuated with Lucky and nitpick on his every little detail like some spoiled brats? Most of the time when I read this thread ... I feel like it's full of a bunch of jealous high school kids who make fun of the popular kid. Seriously y'all ... maybe it's time to grow up. It's not befitting a lot of you.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:39 pm

lol do some of you ever realize that you are infatuated with Lucky and nitpick on his every little detail like some spoiled brats? Most of the time when I read this thread ... I feel like it's full of a bunch of jealous high school kids who make fun of the popular kid. Seriously y'all ... maybe it's time to grow up. It's not befitting a lot of you.
+1

This thread is like talking about Kim Kardashian on Women's Weekly...
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
+1

This thread is like talking about Kim Kardashian on Women's Weekly...
+1 for critical thinking. *Rolleyes*
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for your perspective. That NY Times is nitpicking so much these days, like a spoiled brat, with its opinion pages having thoughts on what's going in Washington, treating the President like the popular kid.
Having a view on someone who has had a huge impact on the hobby, and sharing that view on Flyertalk, is not being a spoiled brat. And jealous, nah, bro. I prefer seeing the world to airports, and having a job where I contribute to making the world better.

If you don't like the thread, perhaps don't read it instead of calling people names. Perhaps what compels you to criticize members of the FT community is similar to what motivates others to identify ridiculous posts by Ben. You've made it clear that you have different thoughts on topics like the use of templates. No one has impugned your integrity for thinking that is a good thing. The only posters on here who attack other posters are those who think a public figure's writing shouldn't be criticized. It's also ironic to call people "spoiled brats" for pointing out multiple posts complaining about the Qatar Airways First Class lounge.

As for JonNYC, I really don't think it's that big of a deal, mostly because I assume Ben gets special treatment and and never assume his experiences are typical of most travelers, but was rather persisting in response to being called a fool for asking for details.

PS: In the US, Womens Weekly is a crocheting publication, so the reference might not be clear to everyone.

Last edited by Adam1222; Feb 25, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.