FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expensive for such a short timeframe.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by airbus320
Expensive for such a short timeframe.
$2800 for F is quite dear indeed. (prices updated in post #2)

I just bought an AA A fare IAD-POS AND a UA P fare DCA-DEN for less than $2800 combined. Then again, I won't get to tour a luggage factory on either of those two trips.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
$2800 for F is quite dear indeed. (prices updated in post #2)

I just bought an AA A fare IAD-POS AND a UA P fare DCA-DEN for less than $2800 combined. Then again, I won't get to tour a luggage factory on either of those two trips.
Add in hotel costs and positioning flights and the cost is even more expensive for a three day trip.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Wow... Just saw the prices. Even living 60 mins from the starting point, this is way outta my league. It's be about $2k for four days when all is said and done.

Kudos to those out there still organizing FT events on the cheap. My hat goes off to all of you
Old May 20, 2013, 11:14 am
Original Poster

I think registration just opened. I wonder if it is sold out yet.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think registration just opened. I wonder if it is sold out yet.
IT problems with registration.
Registration now closed pending resolution.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

IT problems with registration.
Registration now closed pending resolution.
Not surprised. As I noted in post #2 above, that booking engine was Mega Quirky.

My wife grew up in IT and always says that even today her favorite part of development is testing because, even as the PM these days, she likes to try to break things.

Looks like these guys could have used my wife before their go-live.

Last edited by kokonutz; May 20, 2013 at 1:12 pm
Old May 20, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not surprised. As I noted in post #2 above, that booking engine was Mega Quirky.

My wife grew up in IT and always says that even today her favorite part of development is testing because, even as the PM these days, she likes to try to break things.

Looks like these guys could have used my wife before their go-live.
My comment on another site was: Did they hot test the registration site before the launch.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

My comment on another site was: Did they hot test the registration site before the launch.
In fairness testing is HARD. It requires a team to try to break something they have spent a lot of time and money developing. It's also easy to test with 1 or 2 hits coming at time. Far harder to test with hundreds of hits.

But it HAS to be done if you want a smooth go-live.

Worse, it appears that their booking engine confirmed not only reservations but also payments of those who booked but did not pay before it was shut down.

Those folks are in the fascinating situation of being the beneficiaries of a MegaDo fare mistake in their favor....will the DOT be informed if they do not honor the $0 booking and payment confirmations? Will lawsuits be threatened?

Seriously, though, this is why one tests.
Old May 20, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Looks like these guys could have used my wife
Must. Refrain.
Old May 20, 2013, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hobo13
Must. Refrain.
Take my wife...please.

Actually I should be careful. One down-side of marrying a flyertalker is that she knows how to use the search feature for my name....

Update as of 4:30pm EDT: "We'll reopen booking once payment details are cleaned up. Sorry for any confusion and there is plenty of it. Always a payment snag, this time not PayPal but Authorize.net."

Bummer.

Last edited by kokonutz; May 20, 2013 at 2:31 pm
Old May 21, 2013, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take my wife...please.

Actually I should be careful. One down-side of marrying a flyertalker is that she knows how to use the search feature for my name....

Update as of 4:30pm EDT: "We'll reopen booking once payment details are cleaned up. Sorry for any confusion and there is plenty of it. Always a payment snag, this time not PayPal but Authorize.net."

Bummer.
Still quiet on the Milepoint SMD5 threads as of this am.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Website updated: SMD5 charter booking 2.0 scheduled to start at noon Central Time on Wednesday May 22

Randy says to those who booked before the booking engine went quirky:
"We'll email you individually once we solve the payment glitch. We have that list ready to go, just need confirmation of the payment problem."
What seems a bit odd is that according to the chatter on MP, while the FTEF 'runs' this charter, all of the work appears to be taking place at the HoM by Randy. Did the FTEF subcontract the booking to RandyCo?

Here's yesterday's update from the Chairman of the FTEF:

Folks,

Thank you all for the 100000000000000 emails and PMs. No need to show up at my house just yet.

I can't give you any information other than we're having some big issues here and Randy and his crew are working on it. ( tried it myself and it's not working the way it's supposed to)

I'm not onsite and I've stopped bugging them for now.

Thank you for your patience. Please watch this thread for new info from the Boss himself
So I looked at the charter documents and they say:

OPERATOR-PARTICIPANT CONTRACT
This agreement sets forth the terms and conditions under which we MEGADO, LLC and The Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (“MEGADO”), 18 Legacy Lane, Wheeling, Illinois, 60090 in return for payment of the amount indicated as the total charter price, agree to provide you this charter flight.
MEGADO, LLC!?!? That's a new one to me. I thought this shebang was run as a nonprofit by the FTEF?

ETA: I realize that with the fires they are currently fighting that no answer is likely to come anytime soon. But I checked the Delaware Division of Corporarations and here is what they say about MEGADO, LLC:

Entity Details
THIS IS NOT A STATEMENT OF GOOD STANDING
File Number: 5181487 Incorporation Date / Formation Date: 07/10/2012
(mm/dd/yyyy)
Entity Name: MEGADO LLC
Entity Kind: LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY (LLC) Entity Type: GENERAL
Residency: DOMESTIC State: DE

Last edited by kokonutz; May 21, 2013 at 9:33 am
Old May 21, 2013, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

MEGADO, LLC!?!? That's a new one to me. I thought this shebang was run as a nonprofit by the FTEF?
Amazing what happens when one continues to post as though they know all the details when, in fact, they don't. Seems to be a pattern of sorts in this forum for that type of behavior. A shame, really, as it has the potential to be useful to the community as a place for reasoned discussion instead of misinformation.
Old May 21, 2013, 7:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by hobo13
Must. Refrain.
Obviously they didn't hot test, so no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.