Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

No Grand Slam? Bloggers remain silent...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by arcticbull
I know it's a great promo, but I seriously doubt it's an "iffy business proposition." If it were, they wouldn't have run them each year for 8 years or so. Their accountants would have ended it early on if it weren't sustainable! I bet a lot of people end up completing just a few of the activities, or redeeming with US Air for mid or even high level awards. I bet that eats up an awful lot of the earned miles.
How much would you have to spend to get 120K US miles in the absence of this promo? Even with US's frequent 100% bonus promos, that's $2100. I got that much last year with GS for less than $500 in spending I wouldn't have otherwise done.

Remember that merchants participating in GS contribute to be partners--it's not a free deal for them. Getting $1.99 purchases on your website from folks trying to get a GS "hit" likely doesn't fill any coffers or make their association with US as profitable as the partners might have envisioned. And, I'm certain that while there are friendly rental car counter agents who will gladly do a fifteen-minute rental, there are probably some guys in the corporate offices who don't like that and might decide to require a rental period of several days if they continue to participate in GS.

In addition, reading FT and the blogs, it's clear that most folks participating in GS actually use the miles with Star Alliance partners. I don't believe that these partners are real happy with US about the frequency and ease of mileage accumulation with US. Especially when I suspect there are not an equal amount of FF with other * airlines seeking to redeem on US.

Just because a business continues to make the same decisions doesn't necessarily make those decisions good. Lots of businesses have been driven out of business just by that kind of thinking.

Miles were easily accumulated on BMI (and apparently for a short time, may still be), but their generosity towards frequent flyers didn't make them a profitable airline.

As I say, I think if GS does happen this year, there'll be tighter rules in place to make it more difficult to accumulate miles. Whether those are higher transfer or purchase requirements, I don't know. And despite all the speculation about there being a GS this year, no one seems to know yet whether it will occur.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:55 am
Used to be highman123

I think gs can actually make sense. After the gs was over I kept on using some of the suppliers like networksolutions and the shuttle service heavily. I would have not known about it otherwise.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:10 am

Delta used to have a similar promo (way before the explosion of bloggers) and stopped doing it a few years back. If it were a profitable promo, they obviously would have continued it.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Delta used to have a similar promo (way before the explosion of bloggers) and stopped doing it a few years back. If it were a profitable promo, they obviously would have continued it.
Maybe US has something figured out that they haven't-- like an "award processing fee" and/ or expiring mileage. Maybe something else...
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:59 am

I also wish for a GS this year... I had more fun playing the GS game than anything else in my mileage earning toolbox...I have theories why it went away.

I've given up hope for GS2012. All my topguest checkins, and stupid stupid surveys for nothing. :~(
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
I'd speculate that there will be one, but the terms will be tighter than last year.
Pray that the partners and the transfers are also much tighter than last year. Last year, much of it was held together with bailing wire, and verrry slowww when the partners got overwhelmed and maybe had very thin channels for fulfillment (products and points). Then the collective anxiety compounded itself. I'm not usually given to OCD, but this definitely was a strong trigger.

With that as a premise, the next time I'm just going to top-off with the low-hanging fruit if there is a next time. AND I MEAN IT THIS TIME!!!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by highman123
I think gs can actually make sense. After the gs was over I kept on using some of the suppliers like networksolutions and the shuttle service heavily. I would have not known about it otherwise.
Not to mention that TrackItBack made away like bandits. They were selling 500mi and literally a sticker for $25.00 and a GS11 hit. Frankly I expect they are lobbying harder than anyone for another go-around
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:07 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Not to mention that TrackItBack made away like bandits. They were selling 500mi and literally a sticker for $25.00 and a GS11 hit. Frankly I expect they are lobbying harder than anyone for another go-around
....or they might be if they were still around.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-business.html
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mommy Points
....or they might be if they were still around.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-business.html
Now I'm sad
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Firewind
With that as a premise, the next time I'm just going to top-off with the low-hanging fruit if there is a next time. AND I MEAN IT THIS TIME!!!
I'll believe that when I see it.

Too bad if there's no GS. My wife's birthday is in October and I become that much more generous.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.