Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

No Grand Slam? Bloggers remain silent...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The fact that bloggers are not talking about the fact that there is NO Grand Slam this month -- has convinced me that they know something...and there will be a Grand Slam some time this year. WHAT SAY YE?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
The fact that bloggers are not talking about the fact that there is NO Grand Slam this month -- has convinced me that they know something...and there will be a Grand Slam some time this year. WHAT SAY YE?
Most bloggers just repeat what is posted elsewhere.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

I hope!!!! I have points stashed in Club Carlson, Hilton, Best Western, E-miles & e-rewards in preparation lol we still have a few weeks yet ....
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:51 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

I don't know any more than anyone else about the Grand Slam. I've tweeted, emailed, etc to try to get any ounce of info from US Airways (just like others have done), but ultimately it hasn't amounted to much.

I've got nothing else to post about the Grand Slam until either there is one, or there is some definitive info that there isn't one. I'm certainly crossing my fingers tightly though!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: As many as I can!
I'd speculate that there will be one, but the terms will be tighter than last year.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
I'd speculate that there will be one, but the terms will be tighter than last year.
So just like every other year

Here's hoping! My AwardWallet is chock full of stray point balances just waiting to be turned into Grand Slam hits! I'll be so sad if they don't run it again. The bamboo plant I ordered from FTD last year is wilting -- just in time!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: As many as I can!
Ha!

I earn lots of brownie points with the wife around this time of the year because I send her family lots of flowers!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:53 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

I'm leaning toward that as well, but I would call it "cautiously optimistic".
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Cliffs on Grand Slam?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by poser
Cliffs on Grand Slam?
In previous years (like last year), US Airways has had a post-summer promotion for two months where you get "hits" for doing partner activities. I.e. renting a car at Hertz/Avis/etc and posting the miles to US Airways earns a hit. Staying at a Hyatt/IHG/Best Western and crediting to US Airways earns a hit. Buying stuff through the US Airways shopping mall was a hit. Buying US Airways miles was a hit. Oddly enough, flying US Airways was not a hit, but I digress ...

You get bonus miles for every 4 hits (a slam). Last year, 36 hits was the maximum for 100K bonus miles (40 hits for US elites for 110K bonus miles). That's on top of the miles you'd earn from the activities themselves. This being FT, we come up with ways to earn hits very cheaply. To put it into figures, last year I topped off at 184K miles for under $750 of incremental spend (i.e., spend that I made purely for the promotion).

At certain multiples of 4s, the miles also counted toward elite status, so a lot of US elites have counted on the GS to hit a target status level.

Certain hits, like transferring from e-Miles or e-rewards or hotel points to US Airways miles take time to do, so a lot of us gather up eMiles/eRewards/hotel credits in odd programs with the sole intention of transferring them to US Airways during the GS to earn a hit.

There are plenty of relatively easy hits that are free/cheap, so a lot of people aim for a hit number in the teens or twenties, but it's a great way to get a bunch of miles usable for *A travel. If you go for the full 36-40 hits, it can be time-consuming, but very fun.

Last edited by amolkold; Aug 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Makes a lot of sense. USAirways may be the Star Alliance consolidator, but I've got to believe their airline partners have said something along the lines of "ENOUGH."

Sure, a great promo for those who are accumulating US miles (I got my 120K last year), but a very iffy business proposition, especially when done every year.

Of course, if there's no GS, there'll be a lot of stamping of feet around here and plenty of accusations that "the bloggers" (sort of spat out in the way I once heard an old Irish guy say, "the English") ruined the deal by giving it too much publicity.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Makes a lot of sense. USAirways may be the Star Alliance consolidator, but I've got to believe their airline partners have said something along the lines of "ENOUGH."

Sure, a great promo for those who are accumulating US miles (I got my 120K last year), but a very iffy business proposition, especially when done every year.

Of course, if there's no GS, there'll be a lot of stamping of feet around here and plenty of accusations that "the bloggers" (sort of spat out in the way I once heard an old Irish guy say, "the English") ruined the deal by giving it too much publicity.
I know it's a great promo, but I seriously doubt it's an "iffy business proposition." If it were, they wouldn't have run them each year for 8 years or so. Their accountants would have ended it early on if it weren't sustainable! I bet a lot of people end up completing just a few of the activities, or redeeming with US Air for mid or even high level awards. I bet that eats up an awful lot of the earned miles.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
What I can't figure out is why US isn't just telling us if it will happen or not. What do they have to gain by keeping it a secret? Those of us who have been doing it for years will have already done the prep work, it's too late in the game for full-on newbies to prep the "free" hits unless they are business travelers who stay in lots of hotels througout the year. I've seen the evasive answers on Twitter and just think US is disrespecting their customers. Either say, "sorry, it's not going to happen this year" or "yes we are having it, details will be posted on *insert date*" and be done with it!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is a GS forum on FT just for this purpose... the 'GS2012 yes or no?' has been going on for quite a while...
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
What I can't figure out is why US isn't just telling us if it will happen or not. What do they have to gain by keeping it a secret? Those of us who have been doing it for years will have already done the prep work, it's too late in the game for full-on newbies to prep the "free" hits unless they are business travelers who stay in lots of hotels througout the year. I've seen the evasive answers on Twitter and just think US is disrespecting their customers. Either say, "sorry, it's not going to happen this year" or "yes we are having it, details will be posted on *insert date*" and be done with it!
You do not really think that they will be "done with it" if they announce that there will be one? The pestering and speculation will be immense..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.