Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA to join Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The CO OnePass arrangement appears will be over on 12/31/2011. Yes OnePass is being merged into MileagePlus but this is not a good sign of BR joining *A. So, maybe they are posturing to see whether OW or *A will give them a better deal.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by username
The CO OnePass arrangement appears will be over on 12/31/2011. Yes OnePass is being merged into MileagePlus but this is not a good sign of BR joining *A. So, maybe they are posturing to see whether OW or *A will give them a better deal.
Forget OW. CX will do anything to block another East Asian airline to join OW. BR is a "lock" to join *A
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Forget OW. CX will do anything to block another East Asian airline to join OW. BR is a "lock" to join *A
I doubt it. BR is planning to shrink its passenger service. CX could benefit from a smaller rival BR joining oneworld.

I would not be surprised that if one day CX to merge its Taiwan base with BR, or Evergreen to sell BR to other investors...Consolidation will come in short and medium terms across the straight.

Only with BR, CX can grow its Greater China Region market share and presence in a neutral way, and to benefit from codeshares and have access to more Taiwan based FTs. Oneworld have the lowest market share in Greater China region. To have BR could just help CX and oneworld to build up market share. Naturally to join oneworld is BR's best choice. S* is nice but Br could not compete efficiently within the alliance as there are some big East Asian giants in S* already occupied the majority of the market.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
Only with BR, CX can grow its Greater China Region market share and presence in a neutral way, and to benefit from codeshares and have access to more Taiwan based FTs. Oneworld have the lowest market share in Greater China region. To have BR could just help CX and oneworld to build up market share. Naturally to join oneworld is BR's best choice. S* is nice but Br could not compete efficiently within the alliance as there are some big East Asian giants in S* already occupied the majority of the market.
I agree that OW needs a tremendous upgrade in interior China market. However, BR is not the answer simply because their hub is in Taipei, not China. Most of the cities they serve are overlapping, and while BR does serve some more secondary cities, but the number isn't great enough to be a difference maker.

It is too bad CX did all it can to block MU from joining. MU serves a tremendous amount of cities in China that would really benefit OW traffic. Now, they are considering BR? Pathetic (not BR, OW.) Even if BR joins, OW still needs a true Chinese airline that flies to 50+ Chinese destinations.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club
It is too bad CX did all it can to block MU from joining.
CX blocked MU from joining OW? I thought that MU joined ST because ST gave a better deal, but also the current CEO of MU (aka Liu Shaoyong ) was an EX-CEO of CZ, during his CEO time at CZ, he signed an alliance deal to join ST.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
It is too bad CX did all it can to block MU from joining. MU serves a tremendous amount of cities in China that would really benefit OW traffic. Now, they are considering BR? Pathetic (not BR, OW.) Even if BR joins, OW still needs a true Chinese airline that flies to 50+ Chinese destinations.
CX did block HU, not MU. Actually MU is on its way to join oneworld but as g.yau mentioned the CEO of MU dragged MU to SkyTeam due to personal reason.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
CX needs a domestic Chinese Airline to do the job, not EVA Air for China.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Just noticed this story from CAPA:

http://www.centreforaviation.com/ana...n-of-eva-64664

Star Alliance is planning a key step forward in boosting its presence in the fast-growing North Asian aviation market by adding EVA Airways, Taiwan's second largest carrier. EVA will be mentored by Air China, which currently is the only Star member in greater China although Shenzhen Airlines is also now in the process of joining the alliance.

EVA's expected entry into Star follows the entry earlier this year of rival Taiwanese carrier China Airlines into SkyTeam, the largest alliance grouping in greater China and North Asia. Star is now striving to close the gap in North Asia between it and SkyTeam by adding multiple new members in greater China.

EVA executives early this year stated the carrier had submitted an application to join Star. EVA’s executive team, led by chairmen James Jeng, attended this week’s Star chief executive board meeting in Addis Ababa to further promote its application. Star’s existing members are understood to be in favour of EVA’s application and a formal announcement will be made in Taipei in the coming months. As the process of joining Star takes 18 to 24 months, EVA could formally join Star as early as 2013.

Air China president Kong Dong told CAPA at this week's Star event in Ethiopia that Air China will be EVA's mentor if EVA joins Star. Mr Kong says Air China is supporting EVA’s application and already has “very good relations” with the Taiwanese carrier and its subsidiary Uni Airways. He says it is not yet decided if Uni, which operates several of the EVA group's cross-Straits flights between Taiwan and mainland China, would also join Star.

EVA’s fast-growing cross-Straits network is a major attraction to Star. EVA and Uni now account for about 20% of capacity between Taiwan and mainland China, with EVA alone operating to 25 destinations in the mainland, with its cross-Strait services a key aspect of its strategy.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:44 am

Star sounds more like the right choice. However, I don't really see EVA joining this fast.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Like anything having to do with BR, I'll believe it when it actually happens.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am relieved to know BR still has *A in mind.

The funny thing is that CA will be the mentor for BR. What does a mentor do in *A?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:58 pm

The funny thing is that CA will be the mentor for BR. What does a mentor do in *A?
"Keep doing what you're doing"
"You're doing great"
"Let me read the *A regulations and guidelines to you"
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:06 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond

Yup, why CA anyway? It's not a "senior" *A member. It doesn't have service standards that others look up to.

LAX
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX
Yup, why CA anyway? It's not a "senior" *A member. It doesn't have service standards that others look up to.

LAX
CA are sponsoring not one but 2 carriers, namely ZH and BR. They are *A only hope in terms of expansion in the huge domestic Chinese market. I wouldn't be surprised if they grew to be one of the most dominant carriers in *A. They are planning to bring more smaller wholy/part owned carriers into the group.

Why CA? Probably because the cross straight routes have become BR's most profitable market and CA is their codeshare partner. And these guys share the same language, Mandarin so communications would be a lot easier.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
Cause CA needs BR's help and can learn from BR so they are helping BR to get into an alliance to compete with CI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.