Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA to join Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:23 am
Original Poster

EVA to join Star Alliance

It's official. BR's CEO announced that they've sent the application of joining *A last year. But that's all in the news report. Whether BR will be introduced into *A this year (or ever) is still not clear.

Any way, that's a good new to EVA flyers (I'm one of it, if they don't drop BNE route).
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Thanks!

But I feel it's poor news, especially for BR golds who don't fly *alliance much. I can imagine it will dilute the service even further somewhat (priority waitlist etc).

Personally I would rather they stay out.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Is there a link to this news? In English or Chinese?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
not that much - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...news-says.html
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Thanks for posting the link , Jexelot . This seems to tie in with a rumour on the Star Alliance forum which mentioned that in early March *A are believed to be announcing the future membership of Shenzhen Airlines and " an airline from Taiwan" .
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Interesting. Surprised i haven't heard anything about this through work yet. No mention on the BR employee intranet either.

Wonder if we'll get to go to the new *A terminal at LHR when it opens...
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Z
Interesting. Surprised i haven't heard anything about this through work yet. No mention on the BR employee intranet either.

Wonder if we'll get to go to the new *A terminal at LHR when it opens...
It appears to be a tradition that BR's management never talks to their employees before making any big changes..

But this is announced by your CEO so it's no longer a rumour.
However when will it actually happens is kind of intriguing to me.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't accepted this year... it's not like Star Alliance really needs EVA to fill any holes besides Taipei going anywhere.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:43 pm
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
agreed, this is bad news for current EVA golds and diamonds. their loyalty program will be flooded with jackoffs from *alliance expecting VIP treatment while never flying EVA normally.

EVA award tickets will become even more frustrating to book and their gorgeous new lounge will be packed with *alliance freeloaders.

i hope EVA is denied entry to *alliance.

Last edited by evq; Feb 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
Big thumb up (how do you put that icon in here? :) to EVA!

This is a rather narrow-minded comment. With the Star membership Eva elites will be able to access hundreds of Star lounges worldwide.

The respective programs of the "freeloaders" actually pay (I don't know what currency/system the alliance members use to reconcile) to use the lounges.

This is a significant improvement to EVA's competitiveness. Many fliers (like yours truly) who previously shunned EVA will seriously consider them over competitors, even in the same alliance (e.g. TG, SQ).

I think EVA is in the sweet spot - it will gain price-sensitive and/or Taiwan/China-centric passengers from the likes of CX, SQ, TG and CA, AND extend its coverage and revenue from those competitors/partners' networks.

A big net gain for Taiwan (both major airlines are in the global alliances = extra transit/tourism revenue and international exposure), EVA the company, and its elite fliers: your miles now become a lot more valuable; who knew one day you could redeem BR miles on top carriers like SQ (ok not 77W-ER and A380), NZ, OZ, etc; and fly to Africa and Latin America with LH, AC, SA...

CI in the meanwhile has dropped from the only TW airline in an alliance to the airline in the worst alliance .

I think BR's entry is a done deal, we are looking at the full membership effective from Q4 2011 or first half of 2012. BR has many existing deals/agreements with some of the Star partners already, and I reckon NH (most likely) or AC/CA will be BR's membership sponsor/mentor/buddy airline(s).

Originally Posted by evq
agreed, this is bad news for current EVA golds and diamonds. their loyalty program will be flooded with jackoffs from *alliance expecting VIP treatment while never flying EVA normally.

EVA award tickets will become even more frustrating to book and their gorgeous new lounge will be packed with *alliance freeloaders.

Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
CI may have dropped into the worst alliance, but they will probably attract most of the customers in that alliance since their service level is probably top notch and price is low enough compare to the rest of the alliance. However, for BR, that's not the case in the Star Alliance.

Anyways, since both of their bases are located in TPE, nothing much will change unless significant overhaul in the tourist area or somehow TPE becomes a better place to do business.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:56 pm
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
everyone always rags on CI for joining skyteam... why didnt CI join *alliance?

Originally Posted by hcshih
It's official. BR's CEO announced that they've sent the application of joining *A last year. But that's all in the news report. Whether BR will be introduced into *A this year (or ever) is still not clear.

Any way, that's a good new to EVA flyers (I'm one of it, if they don't drop BNE route).
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
CI may have dropped into the worst alliance, but they will probably attract most of the customers in that alliance since their service level is probably top notch and price is low enough compare to the rest of the alliance. However, for BR, that's not the case in the Star Alliance.

Anyways, since both of their bases are located in TPE, nothing much will change unless significant overhaul in the tourist area or somehow TPE becomes a better place to do business.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by evq

Yea, I'm one of those *G freeloaders (on two airline programs) that you so eloquently refer to who will be diluting the sacred pound. But no worries, I generally fly on paid C to/in/from Asia so I would get lounge access anyway and I do expect VIP treatment when I'm (well, employer is) paying unrestricted C tix.

And yes again, I've never flown BR but heard good things about them and would definitely consider them if/when they join *A as they fit my flight patterns well.

BR will gain a lot by joining an alliance and so will the majority of the FF on BR. The only people who will moan are those with extremely limited itineraries.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
TPE is already a better place for businesses because of the better cross-strait relations and less political instability, as KMT controls both the executive branch and a big majority in the legislative chamber, and majority (albeit with less support after the most recent elections) in the administrative regions. I am not supporting or endorsing KMT, just stating the facts.

I think CI is right there with AF and KE, at the better level within Skyteam. DL, KL and the others aren't competitive to their Star and oneworld peers in terms of hardware, service and FFPs. AMS and ICN hubs are the best features of Skyteam. CDG is a dump.

BR can capture the existing CI, the PRC airlines and maybe CX and TG, OZ fliers because its prices are competitive for its product/service. Existing BR passengers stick to BR for reasons other than pricing and loyalty, and they are less likely to defect to CI or others.

Both CI and BR need to look at their TPE stopover packages... which are non-existent or a joke... I think either or both charge $00s MORE or PROHIBIT TPE stopovers! They should look at CX, SQ and EK and learn how to build brands and generate revenue (not just for the airline but local economy) by ENCOURAGING passengers to spend a a day or three in Taiwan.

TPE and TSA need to have much needed renovation and better ground transport. I see TPE-TSA as competitive as NRT-HND and ICN-SEL for transit traffic. CI and BR an position themselves as the airlines of choice to fly to/from mainland China from North America, Europe and Australia. Say flying to Chongqing or Zhenzhou from SFO or BNE is easier/better with BR than CA.

Joining global alliances is a huge step to help Taiwan stay relevant, if not competitive.

Originally Posted by coolfish1103

Although CI has partnership with CA as well, I am guessing the combined force of CZ and MU (which includes FM) is bigger, and more Taiwanese are present in Yangzi (especially Shanghai, the hub of MU) and Pearl deltas than northern China and Sichuan, where CA is stronger.

There's also the potential, if not existing, confusion of Air China and China Air That's about as old as "Quantas" for Americans

The TW govt still has some equity/control over CI, so having flag-carriers of both Chinas is probably a no-no for either government, although CA and CI are good mates commercially. However I see the CA-CI relationship will be cut off after BR's ascension to Star, so BR is the new man/woman for CA, so to speak.

CI already has many existing codeshare and FFP relationships with Skyteam members,(especially DL.

Originally Posted by evq
everyone always rags on CI for joining skyteam... why didnt CI join *alliance?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
If EVA joins Star Alliance, I'm guessing UNI would join as an affliliate airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.